Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Curiosity would get the better of most..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

I thought it was a bit unbelievable when the PM's flunky said after the finger came and public reaction shifted to him doing it-that they cant guarantee his families security. I'm not sure that is credible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just watched all three episodes this week and I have to say I loved it. It's hard to pick a favourite but not as hard as it was not to fall in love with Abi Khan.

Adored the first two.. but didn't like the third one at all! :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Basq wrote: »
    Adored the first two.. but didn't like the third one at all! :(

I'd say for a lot of people it was too close to the bone or else had no resonance. Either way the only laughing was of a nervous type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

They were all basically Phillip K. Dick stories.

The genius who died too soon, and who everyone has been robbing ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They were all basically Phillip K. Dick stories.

Which one to which story? "15 Million Merits" felt closer to Huxleys "Brave new world".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As for "Would I watch it". The answer is a resounding No.

I didnt watch the "Islamic" beheadings. I've never seen Two-Girls-One-Cup nor any of those videos which regularly go viral around boards and we have to clean them up. I control the content I expose myself to probably because from pretty much day one on here I have had to. I'm perfectly capable of deciding what I want to watch and I am critical about why I want to watch it.

For example, Josef Fritzl was not, IMHO, news. It should have been reported, then the fact that the trial had started should have been a note in the news, and again at the conviction. Thats news, the rest was a sordid sort of public fascination which I felt was at least partially as repellant as his actions. We didnt need 24-7 coverage of it and so I didnt consume it.

There is a lamentable misunderstanding of the terms "in the public interest" and "the public is interested in...". They are by no means the same.

So, would I have watched him screw a pig? No. And I would have argued with anyone who did. I wouldnt have stopped them but I wouldnt have watched it and I wouldnt have left it up on Boards either. I'm not saying you shouldnt be allowed watch something like that, you should. But I'm not going to and I'm not going to assist anyone else to either.

DeV.

I've never watched any of that sordid internet crap either. Like, who wants to see Diana after the crash, or people jumping from the Twin Towers or that video of those psychos killing that homeless person in the forest?

Who the fcuk watches this stuff! And, more importantly, why do they watch it?

I make sick jokes all the time, and maybe I should stop. But I would never watch another person or animal suffering on my screen. Especially stuff uploaded to the internet by subhumans.

Black Mirror is a perfect title.

Hobbes wrote: »
    Which one to which story? "15 Million Merits" felt closer to Huxleys "Brave new world".

You're right. And I have an MP3 interview with PKD saying he admired Huxley and George Orwell. You can see the spirit of the two in the Black Mirror series though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Just finished the 3rd episode. This was recommended to me by a friend who is a big Chris Morris fan (Like me) and so I was expecting something twisted.

Have to say it's some of the most thought provoking television I've watched in a long time.

Thought the National Anthem was the best all round. It completely sucked me in after about 3 minutes.

Least favourite was the 2nd episode. I still enjoyed it, but felt it was a bit long, and unlike the other two episodes was just a step too far from our reality to really engage me.

The third episode was IMO the hardest one to watch as it was pretty depressing and close to the bone. Arguments about what your loved ones have said or done are horrible enough as it is, without being able to review them time and time again at the touch of a button.

If more television like this is created, it can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ke5AKVtvkdc

Im currently burning my iphone:)

Hope it can live up to the first series.

Yep, saw the ad before Utopia last night.

Den Of Geek published a spoiler-free review of the first episode today, and says it airs in February.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Radio Times has a breakdown of all three episodes for those eager to know what is in store; the usual caveats about spoilers apply - each premise is detailed enough, without giving too much away:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-01-22/charlie-brookers-black-mirror-series-two---plot-details-and-casting-revealed
    Looking forward to it, though '15 Million Merits' was the only one I really enjoyed from series 1

PS: the music in the background is a quieter track from Arc, by Everything Everything - verrrrrry good album.

Back on Monday 11th February at 10pm (according to Den Of Geek).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Really looking forward to these.

The first 4 reminded me of what Channel 4 used to be like back in the day.

Edgy, thoughtful programming.

And Carol Vorderman.

Give Utopia a shot (if you haven't already) TheNinthGate if you like your programming edgy, thoughtful and different..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Basq wrote: »
    Give Utopia a shot (if you haven't already) TheNinthGate if you like your programming edgy, thoughtful and different..

Just saw my Brother in Law talking about it on Facebook, and had a read of first page of the thread here.

Going to have a look either this evening, or over the next few nights.

Cheers.

That was... ummmm.. just OK.

The weakest of the four episodes total so far definitely.

It just meandered and never really went anywhere... felt like it'd been done elsewhere and better.

Shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I liked the use of technology, completely plausible.

I was initially hoping the cliff top exit would be a neat full stop whereas the actual ending is much better for its speculation that we could learn to use a replicant for our own ends, even on a part time "he does a job" level. Sex and someone to amuse the kids or change a plug.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As before, Brooker writes a good premise, but can't come up with a climax or ending worth a damn; the ideas were sound, and the world-building & everyday technology was really nicely conceived, but it all just petered out after Ash (a robot called Ash? I get it!) came along. That itself was just a bit too pat by half. Disappointing overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ash (a robot called Ash? I get it!)

I think they prefer to be called an 'artificial person'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how would anybody develop that without a returns program ! i mean how would you even start to recycle it and what about the batteries to run it (they were complaining their phones went flat too quick . kept me watching though !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I enjoyed it and thought it was stylish, but it wasn't a patch on any of the three from series one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I had heard from people on Facebook that it would haunt their nightmares. Good, thinks I, something nice and freaky from Brooker.

Nice build up. I think Gleeson is always watchable and Atwell (is that her name?) was good too.

But it went.... nowhere interesting.

I expected it to be creepy which didn't help but the end was very meh. Reminded me of keeping the zombie in the shed at the end of Shaun of the Dead.

Hopefully the next one will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

In my opinion Be Right Back was just the proper Charlie Brooker version of The Entire History of You. Entire History's themes were dealt with in a far more interesting manner, I personally think that Be Right Back would've fit in far more nicely into the first series. Then again Entire History was just a total letdown to me

Now can we agree that White Bear looks incredibly strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Colm! wrote: »
    In my opinion Be Right Back was just the proper Charlie Brooker version of The Entire History of You. Entire History's themes were dealt with in a far more interesting manner, I personally think that Be Right Back would've fit in far more nicely into the first series. Then again Entire History was just a total letdown to me

Now can we agree that White Bear looks incredibly strange?

I taught Entire history was amazing and prob my fav of the last series followed very close by the prime minister one. Be right back was brilliant but the ending was a real let down just treat him like something you cant throw away and stick him in the attic.

when ever that ad comes on i switch the tv as I am ****less of spoilers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think it was quite good, but not as good as the first season. The very first episode is one of the most shocking pieces of television I've seen. It was my favourite one, followed closely by the third episode. I'm looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I thought it was interesting just because it reminded me of something a few years ago. A friend of some friends died tragically, and they kept on talking to his Bebo page in more or less exactly the same way as the character in this started out doing.

But in execution, it wasn't quite up there with The National Anthem.

I think both episodes could have benefitted from ending one scene earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Man, that was twisted. I think everyone copped it when they strapped her to the chair, but even the hammering it home over the credits made it even more horrific.

Talk about a Prometheus style punishment (the eagle, not the movie)!

Advertisement