Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

facebook stalker

Options
  • 27-07-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi i am at my wits end, for the last 4 years i have someone setting up fake profiles and pm me with horrible stuff about me and my family, my dad passed away last year and the person is sending me horrible horrible messages about his death and now messages about my 3 week old son and threatening his life. i have gone the guards who have advised me that they cannot do anything as there is no way of tracing someone. guess im clutching at straws posting to see if anyone has any advice. i have had to change to 5 diff fb accounts and leaving fb is not an option at the minute, anyone any advice im even thinking of trying to find hackers etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

steos1982 wrote: »
    hi i am at my wits end, for the last 4 years i have someone setting up fake profiles and pm me with horrible stuff about me and my family, my dad passed away last year and the person is sending me horrible horrible messages about his death and now messages about my 3 week old son and threatening his life. i have gone the guards who have advised me that they cannot do anything as there is no way of tracing someone. guess im clutching at straws posting to see if anyone has any advice. i have had to change to 5 diff fb accounts and leaving fb is not an option at the minute, anyone any advice im even thinking of trying to find hackers etc.

Leave Facebook, there is no scenario where the benefits of FB outweigh that abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 8 steos1982

at this stage i NEED to know who is behind this as i know fear for me and my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would suggest paying another visit to the Gardai and get them to take you seriously. Especially if threats are being made against you. It's not true that there's nothing they can do, they probably just don't want the hassle and possibly don't realise how serious it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

advised me that they cannot do anything as there is no way of tracing someone

Bollocks... Of the highest order. If the president of Ireland got the same level of abuse on facebook, are you saying the guards could do nothing. Me hole.

That aside, get off facebook. I've never been on it, but have seen too many horror stories.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Do they interact with you on facebook?
    Could they be enticed to click a link if you (or anyone) sent them one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Would Facebook be able to help you in tracing the culprit? They might be able to trace the IP address. I don't know if this is possible but it would be worth asking the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Could it be a neighbour or someone in your estate? Can remember something in the back of my head (could have been a TV program tho) with something similar which turned out to be a neighbouring child thinking he was being funny.
    I'm sure Facebook and the Gardai together can trace who is behind this.
    Hope things work out ok for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

steos1982 wrote: »

As someone else said, go back to the Guards, they are fobbing you off if they are telling you that there's nothing they can do. Maybe show them the abuse that you're getting, it should make them take it more seriously.

Also, have you reported this to Facebook?

Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

There is a trivial way to obtain their (apparent) IP address if you can trick them into clicking a link.
    Of course, it's usefulness will depend on a number of factors.
    PM me for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Contact Facebook support and forward the fake profile looking for information on it - see if you can be given the IP or any information that could help you & the Gardaí trace it

If they require Garda permission to provide this then you can go to the guards and request they assist you, which they're obliged to do, the first step is to inform Facebook of this though

• Advertisement
Advertisement