Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy - not registered with PRTB

Options
  • 27-07-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

The landlord asked a new tenant moving in to pay into a different account than the other 3 tenants and different to whats in the lease.

Also, a housemate said they rang the PRTB and checked to see if they or any in the property are registered with them and they said there isn't anyone registered on the property (some have been there a very long time).

Sound normal enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Very normal for LLs pulling a tax dodge, I'd let sleeping dogs lie if I were you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not unusual- its not satisfactory- but its not unusual.
    The lack of registration has absolutely no bearing on a tenant's rights- but it has restrictions on a landlord (such as they can't deduct mortgage interest as a cost (at 75%) unless the property is registered- nor can they take a case against a tenant- unless it is registered- and there are fines for late registration.......)

It doesn't mean anything for you as a tenant- the fact that the property isn't registered- it can be serious for the landlord however.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Does the LL live in the property and is renting rooms out?
    If so, you are not tenants and are actually "licencees"
    Not sure what the rules are around registerng licencees with PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

SarahS2013 wrote: »

Dwellings where the landlord resides are not within the scope of the Residential tenancies Act. The registration requirements do not apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Dwellings where the landlord resides are not within the scope of the Residential tenancies Act. The registration requirements do not apply to them.

Yeah didn't think so. I was a tenant of a lease for 5 years and got someone in renting my spare room for the last 6 months. She wasn't considered a tenant, but rather a licencee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Very normal for LLs pulling a tax dodge, I'd let sleeping dogs lie if I were you.

If you can dodge tax on money paid into a bank account I'd like to know how, accountants country wide would like that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cocaholic

SarahS2013 wrote: »

No, the landlord doesn't live on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Just FYI, I needed my tenancy registered with the PRTB because it's a piece of evidence proving I resided here for the necessary time to qualify to apply for citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Don't know what happened you guys but you seem to have forgotten that this is the accommodation and property forum not taxation or banking. Enough of the off topic please, posts have been deleted.

Advertisement