Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Tour transfer rumours (and facts)

Options
  • 27-07-2016 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭

A lot of announcements are due in the coming days, so it seems sense to have thread to post rumours etc. Lots of riders are out of contract and there is likely to be many changes, which - as ever - will pivot around some key riders such as Contador, Sagan and Nibali, to name just 3.

The Bahrain project is definitely going ahead (confirmed today) but as yet it is not sure if they will apply for a WT license, two of which will be available with the demise of IAM and Tinkoff, though the latter is still a bit up-in-the air, it seems. Bora-Hansgrohe are due to step up, so presumably this leaves one license free? It is the Bahrain and Bora teams that are at the centre of a lot of the spending and consequently a lot of the transfers....

Maybe someone with the means to do so can make the first post an editable one for a few weeks?

I'm not going to try to list those riders who are staying put......
    KNOWN:
    Joachim Rodrigeuz - Retiring
    Johan van Summeren - Retiring
    Fabian Cancellara - Retiring
    Xabier Zandio - Retiring
    Peter Sagan to Bora-Hansgrohe * (Juraj Sagan also moving with Peter)
    Alberto Contador to Trek-Segafredo *
    Vincenzo Nibali to Bahrain project *
    Michael Matthews to Giant *

RUMOURED:
    Nicolas Roche to BMC *
    Phillipe Gilbert to Etixx QS *
    Stijn vandenBergh to AG2R *
    Rafal Majka to Bora-Hansgrohe *
    Tony Martin to Bora-Hansgrohe or Katusha ***
    Jesus Hernandez to Trek-Segafredo **
    John Degenkolb to Trek-Segafredo **
    Koen de Kort to Trek-Segafredo **
    Leopold König to ?Bora? ***
    Sep Vanmarcke to ??? (moving somewhere - was to be Etixx but not now)
    Owain Doull to Sky ***
    Roman Kreuziger to Katusha
    Moreno Moser to Astana
    Oscar Gatto to Astana
    Diego Rosa to Sky
    Jarlinson Pantano to Trek-Segafredo
    Giovanni Visconti to Bahrain Project
    Salvatore Puccio to Bahrain Project
    Roger Kluge to Bora-Hansrohe
    Lars Boom to Lotto-Jumbo
    Julien Vermote to Sky, staying with Etixx *
    Carlos Verona to Orica *
    Arnold Jeannesson to Fortuneo - Vital Concept *
    Adam Blythe to Dimension Data (?) *

sources:
    * Cyclingnews
    ** Cyclingtips
    *** Cyclingweekly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Any word on Philip Deignan for next year? He doesn't seemed to have raced a lot since the Giro. Also in pro cycling terms he is coming on in years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bora could have a great team to be following next year. Sagan is always entertaining, Majka is obviously a great climber and has placed top 10 in Giro and Podiumed in Vuelta, Tony Martin is great when in form and obviously Sam Bennet provides the Irish interest assuming he'll still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

I wonder would Philip Deignan be a possibility for the new Aquablue pro conti team. He could be a very strong leader there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hager wrote: »
    I wonder would Philip Deignan be a possibility for the new Aquablue pro conti team. He could be a very strong leader there.

Would they have the budget for him (even if he was to take a large pay cut)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

It looks as if Bahrain may take over the Lampre-Merida WT license and Lampre drop back to Pro Continental Level.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/more-details-revealed-as-bahrain-cycling-team-officially-announced-266782
    This might mean the likes of Meintjes, Ulissi, Rui Costa may also make the move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I would expect that Luis Meintjes would be in demand following his recent excellent showing in the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Matteo Tosatto looking to continue with a new team as Tinkoff folds, despite being 42....horse.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I would expect that Luis Meintjes would be in demand following his recent excellent showing in the tour.

Meintjes is rumoured for Bahrain as well ..Carlton Kirby wonlt like it as he still hasn't gotten over him leaving Bora

if you look at the list of riders..some top riders out of contract this year it is mind blowing

http://www.procyclingstats.com/teams?c=5&sc=2&type=2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Any prospect of Quintana tapping up Pantano and Henao to come join him and give him two team mates who'd be able to stick with him and push sky a bit more?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFGLB wrote: »
    if you look at the list of riders..some top riders out of contract this year it is mind blowing

http://www.procyclingstats.com/teams?c=5&sc=2&type=2

When you filter that by nation it doesnt list Deignan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Crazy some of the riders who can't get (or don't yet have) teams for 2017.

Seen a debate on Twitter yesterday evening about how young guys should not work or study & concentrate full time on bike in order to make it. You worry when you see how many top class cyclists struggle to find teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Weepsie wrote: »
    Any prospect of Quintana tapping up Pantano and Henao to come join him and give him two team mates who'd be able to stick with him and push sky a bit more?

I wouldn't think so, on the basis of Quintana having the charisma of a flat tyre. Have heard in a few different places that he isn't particularly well liked in his own team, in spite of all his talent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

LCD wrote: »

Seen a debate on Twitter yesterday evening about how young guys should not work or study & concentrate full time on bike in order to make it. You worry when you see how many top class cyclists struggle to find teams.

Jaysus lads, it's not even August yet. Cycling is constantly in a state of flux as teams are so reliant on a main sponsor.

Is this year unusual for the amount of riders out of contract or are we hyper aware of it because the info is so readily available?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wouldn't think so, on the basis of Quintana having the charisma of a flat tyre. Have heard in a few different places that he isn't particularly well liked in his own team, in spite of all his talent.

That could be because he doesn't get on with Valverde. I'm definitely on Nairo's side there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

LCD wrote: »

I guess in life you need to follow your dreams otherwise you may have more problems with unhappiness, depression, etc

Cycling is a very difficult sport to get on in and it is not paid well especially in comparison to other sports but you can always study while a cyclists ..there is lots of time between and after races

Pozzovivo did a degree (not sure in what) , Quinziato has completed a degree in law...I believe Adam Hansen in engineering.and there must be lost more

I wonlt be surprised if Philip Deignan continued study as he has (supposed) to be at Uni when he took cycling

Anyway nowadays pople work for so long it is possible to have more than one career

As for riders without a team this year is particulary difficult with the closer of 2 WT teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Meintjes is rumoured for Bahrain as well ..Carlton Kirby wonlt like it as he still hasn't gotten over him leaving Bora

MTN Qhubeka/Dimension Data :-)

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    MTN Qhubeka/Dimension Data :-)

Yes of course DIm Data :)

I guess in life you need to follow your dreams otherwise you may have more problems with unhappiness, depression, etc

Cycling is a very difficult sport to get on in and it is not paid well especially in comparison to other sports but you can always study while a cyclists ..there is lots of time between and after races

Pozzovivo did a degree (not sure in what) , Quinziato has completed a degree in law...I believe Adam Hansen in engineering.and there must be lost more

I wonlt be surprised if Philip Deignan continued study as he has (supposed) to be at Uni when he took cycling

Anyway nowadays pople work for so long it is possible to have more than one career

As for riders without a team this year is particulary difficult with the closer of 2 WT teams

You can tell Hansen is an engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They're still not supposed to announce until 1st August, so I wouldn't be reading too much into the big names without a team just yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Weepsie wrote: »

Pantano all but confirmed to Trek I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Any word on where Richie Porte is headed? I think he signed just a 1-year contract with BMC last year.

Wonder if he's heading back to Sky? Some of his riding in the TdF had a slight whiff of "Look, Mr. Brailsford! I'm helping"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Porte will be staying put I'd imagine. No sense in him going back to Sky to flog himself for Froome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Porte will be staying put I'd imagine. No sense in him going back to Sky to flog himself for Froome.

I think he had far more solo success with Sky than as a leader with BMC.

I think he had far more solo success with Sky than as a leader with BMC.

He wasnt leader at the start of the Tour. Cost him in the end.

Richie porte is staying at BMC and as he said at the end of the Tour he wil have a better team next year to have a go at the Tour

Why on earth would he go back to SKY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Richie porte is staying at BMC and as he said at the end of the Tour he wil have a better team next year to have a go at the Tour

Why on earth would he go back to SKY

You mean he wasn't riding for SKY this year ??? :)

Ha ha ...I get it

before the Tour maybe you could say he looked like a SKY Dom but by the Mount Ventoux he had changed

Wasn't himself who ran in to the moto and brought Froome down and then he rode passed Froome casual as you like

Riche cut the cord on Mt Ventoux

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

So Nibali, Visconti and Puccio are the ones expected to go to work for a torturer. I'm impressed with Nibali in particular: I genuinely didn't think an Astana rider who appears to be disliked by a huge swathe of the peloton could actually make himself look worse. It's quite an achievement.

Advertisement