Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Tour transfer rumours (and facts)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

godtabh wrote: »

Thats good news. TBF, he has tweeted recently that he was looking forward to next year, but there was plenty of noise about him perhaps retiring despite the initial Trek rumours. I wasnt always a fan of his, and still have mixed feelings around his Clenbuterol bust, but - as we saw so often recently - he ignites so many races and we'll undoubtedly miss him when he hangs up his shoes.....

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Thats good news. TBF, he has tweeted recently that he was looking forward to next year, but there was plenty of noise about him perhaps retiring despite the initial Trek rumours. I wasnt always a fan of his, and still have mixed feelings around his Clenbuterol bust, but - as we saw so often recently - he ignites so many races and we'll undoubtedly miss him when he hangs up his shoes.....

He may ignite races but I dont think he is as explosive as he was before. I think he is targeting the Tour again next year. Will be interesting but he is past it (I hope he proves me wrong).

He may ignite races but I dont think he is as explosive as he was before. I think he is targeting the Tour again next year. Will be interesting but he is past it (I hope he proves me wrong).

Agreed, though its tough to hear him called 'past it'.......it brings to mind that Sean Kelly quote about teammates not being like old greyhounds that you can bring out the back and shoot when they get too slow....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No one is a bigger fan of Contador than me and I'm afraid he's past it as well. He's not going to win the Tour next year.

He'll prove me wrong and win the Giro now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If Degankolb has his way he'll have a sprint train for the Tour which puts Contador at an obvious disadvantage against his rivals. That was sort of going to be the case this year (aside from crashes and ultimately leaving the race)... Sagan as WC had the right to demand support riders for himself and he got them.

You need 8 guys supporting you at the Tour now. Not 4 guys doing something else and potentially one of your super domestiques ie,Mollema, eyeing the prize for himself.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    If Degankolb has his way he'll have a sprint train for the Tour which puts Contador at an obvious disadvantage against his rivals. That was sort of going to be the case this year (aside from crashes and ultimately leaving the race)... Sagan as WC had the right to demand support riders for himself and he got them.

You need 8 guys supporting you at the Tour now. Not 4 guys doing something else and potentially one of your super domestiques ie,Mollema, eyeing the prize for himself.

I assume Contador is aware of this when signing? He wont command a team like he did in the past so where does that leave him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I assume Contador is aware of this when signing? He wont command a team like he did in the past so where does that leave him?

4th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I think Trek are probably more interested in his profile than his ability. He still commands the biggest publicity. I think though Contador is more interested in wining the Tour . But wihtout a team to take on SKY & Movistar he really is up gainst it...And do rumours suggest alot of TT in next years Tour so he and his team are even more handicaped

Still though romance is not dead and stranger things have happened

Say either Frooem or Quintana can't make it or get ill or crash and then he has only one contender ...and if they have a bad day or mess up or whatever

Leicester won the premership and Contador is in a better positon to win the Tour in my book.

• Advertisement

....to go to Lampre Merida.
    Interesting move, I didn't realise he was out of contact at Sky. This could be an interesting team next year with a big injection of Chinese cash.

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/lampre-merida_sign_ben_swift/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    ....to go to Lampre Merida.
    Interesting move, I didn't realise he was out of contact at Sky. This could be an interesting team next year with a big injection of Chinese cash.

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/lampre-merida_sign_ben_swift/

Swift needs a big injection of Sprint Speed to do anything of note.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Swift needs a big injection of Sprint Speed to do anything of note.

Not really ...he is not a top end sprinter and is in fact a good climber...time to look at the cobbles imo

He is tough with a 3rd and 2nd at MSR ....maybe he can do something in Belguim

Who is riding for this team besides Rui Costa & Ullissi ?

At least he will get some chances...hadn't a hope at SKY

He is not a bad rider at all ....just hard for him to find a niche

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Wow, who's this Hernandez kid? Must be an up-and-coming prospect as I haven't seen him in GTs in the last few years. It's lucky for him he's moving to Trek now as at least he'll know one person at his new team to help him settle in.

https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/778157682666696704

Big loss for Sky? I think so.

Well we see more of that happen as less and less people who are capable getting no opportunities

Not sure SKY are that bothered with the departure of Konig.. He was emplyed as a Dom and wasn't really top at that ....but good rider and should do top 10s in Tour maybe top 5

SKY have so many top riders its keeping them all happy that must be the concern

So they haven't replaced Roche or Konig ... unless I missed something ?

MPFGLB wrote: »

So they haven't replaced Roche or Konig ... unless I missed something ?

Dont think so. I've only seen them sign neo pros.

Dont think so. I've only seen them sign neo pros.

Well maybe they have figured out they have enough

Or the kind of rider they want was not on the market or availabe to them...they can afford to be fussy

Would like to see them lose another 2 top riders next year to maybe Lampre, Bahrain , Bora , etc....Nice to see thing even out a bit across teams

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They are signing ellisonde, not sure its confirmed yet though

retalivity wrote: »
    They are signing ellisonde, not sure its confirmed yet though

Of course ...not sure he repalces Roche or Konig though as a Dom or a GC contender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

It probably suits them more to have someone without any unsettling GC aspirations. Konig presumably joined with some kind of promises of being much more than simply a domestique. With riders like Landa, Poels, Thomas, I'd say they're pretty well stacked on that GC front.

Advertisement