Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overvaluing car on insurance quotes

Options
  • 27-07-2016 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is it perfectly fine to overvalue your car when getting insurance quotes? Bumping my car value up a few thousand makes the quote a lot lower.

From Leaving Cert Business (:D) I recall this is quite legal and in the event of a claim insurance companies will only pay out what the market value is. However if you undervalue it they will pay out less than market value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If you over-value the car then the company will be suspicious to possible modifications to car...'95startlet worth 4K was 1 heard today, asked if modified or could I see photo...caller hung up !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

cplwhisper wrote: »
    If you over-value the car then the company will be suspicious to possible modifications to car...'95startlet worth 4K was 1 heard today, asked if modified or could I see photo...caller hung up !!

2008 Focus here. I don't have modifications so photos are no bother for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

shietpilot wrote: »
    Hi

Is it perfectly fine to overvalue your car when getting insurance quotes? Bumping my car value up a few thousand makes the quote a lot lower.

From Leaving Cert Business (:D) I recall this is quite legal and in the event of a claim insurance companies will only pay out what the market value is. However if you undervalue it they will pay out less than market value.

Yep, no issue whatsoever for the reasons stated above.

Yep, no issue whatsoever for the reasons stated above.

Cool. I suppose I'm not doing too much harm setting a €6500 car to €8000 :D

Make sure to read the T&C tab for the ins company.
    I know 1-2 companies, that will penalise you at claim stage if you bumped up the value at inception as they think you are 'misrepresenting the risk' that they are writing business for... I have higher than the LC business knowledge

• Advertisement

I know 1-2 companies, that will penalise you at claim stage if you bumped up the value at inception as they think you are 'misrepresenting the risk' that they are writing business for... I have higher than the LC business knowledge

I checked Liberty's T&Cs (read through every single paragraph) and it mentions nothing about evaluation.

I don't see how they can say my evaluation is wrong since they always low-ball the payouts for example.

You can be asked for proof of purchase and payment to back up the value given by you. !
    Have seen it done as when you incept a policy a suitability statement is issued for you to accept that data to be 'honest under good faith' ... Just saying be cautious

You can be asked for proof of purchase and payment to back up the value given by you. !
    Have seen it done as when you incept a policy a suitability statement is issued for you to accept that data to be 'honest under good faith' ... Just saying be cautious

Makes sense but how can you be not honest on an opinionated question deciding how much your car is valued, especially when you hear things like "if you undervalue your car, the insurance company will pay out less than market value". It's only natural to overvalue your car and pay more (but insurance risk calculators are making it less for some strange reasons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

In what way would the penalise someone for that?

Any specimen documents I've seen state that they will pay the replacement cost of the vehicle based on the market value of a like for like model, at the time of the accident.

If someone is dramatically overestimating the value of their car for insurance purposes the only thing that may occur is that they over pay on their insurance.

There is literally no additional risk to an insurer because of a customer doing this.

Under valuing a vehicle certainly as it may mean the risk was outside of acceptance criteria due to its real value but over valuing, really can't see how or why they could or would penalise someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No you won't. Insurance companies don't care about your valuation when it comes to a claim, they will tell you the value based on the year, make and model and that's the end of it. Just because you paid over the odds or stuffed it with go-faster goodies is neither here nor there.

If you overvalue the car when taking out insurance, it will cost you in the form of a higher premium for fully comp. but when it comes to making a claim, it's the street price of your car that they use, not some inflated number you're carrying around in your head.

Advertisement