Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to employment contract

Options
  • 27-07-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I recently did an interview for a job in a different department where I work. I've been offered the job and HR said they would be in touch with a transfer letter.

I just received this today and as well as saying congratulations on the new position and confirming the new role the letter also says

"Please note that your appointment is now terminable by two months notice in writing by either side, or by the company paying you two months salary in lieu of notice.

Please note that all other terms and conditions of employment remain the same "

I'm the slightest bit concerned by this, is this normal? A friend of mine changed depts a few months ago and the same wording was in his letter, however that person didn't seem too concerned. I have a permanent job, am I signing away some of my employment rights here?

Any opinions from people who have faced a similar situation would be most welcome, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Hello,
    I recently did an interview for a job in a different department where I work. I've been offered the job and HR said they would be in touch with a transfer letter.

I just received this today and as well as saying congratulations on the new position and confirming the new role the letter also says

"Please note that your appointment is now terminable by two months notice in writing by either side, or by the company paying you two months salary in lieu of notice.

Please note that all other terms and conditions of employment remain the same "

I'm the slightest bit concerned by this, is this normal? A friend of mine changed depts a few months ago and the same wording was in his letter, however that person didn't seem too concerned. I have a permanent job, am I signing away some of my employment rights here?

Any opinions from people who have faced a similar situation would be most welcome, thanks

You need to put that question to the HR person issuing the contract and seek clarification of the circumstances under which this can be effected.

If it's simply to extend for example 30 days notice out to 60 days, then nothing to worry about as long as the extension of the period of notice you must give when wanting to take up new employment is acceptable to you. If you are consenting to termination of employment with 60 days notice from your employer as due process, as you may if you wanted to, you would be consenting to the removal of a degree of protection.

Ask for clarification in writing. Seek advice from the WRC information service here if you want to have further information on your rights and the potential effects of such a change in your terms of employment:

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/Workplace_Relations_Services/Info_Cust_Serv/

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Thanks very much, that is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I have a permanent job, am I signing away some of my employment rights here?

Thankfully that's not possible; employment law trumps a contract every time.

As BreadnBuddha says, ask HR exactly what they mean by that. And check your original contract and find whatever clause that this one is changing.

Advertisement