Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large abdominal hernia in cat

• 28-07-2016 8:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience of this in an old cat?

I'm raging as I took the cat to the vets 3 weeks ago, with what a feared was a tumour on her stomach. Vet said it was soft, no not tumour so probably just a fatty mass. Because she's 19, he said it was just due to age and she was "dropping" a bit in the tummy area. If he's said to me then it was a hernia - I would have bloody well been looking out for her and have discussed options at that point.

I got in from work yesterday to her belly covered in blood and an obvious distended stomach. Raced to the vets and they said that basically it's a huge hernia (vet last nights said "oh yes - notes here say muscle waste") which has got infected as she's scraped it.

Cat is actually ok - still eating, peeing/pooing, purring. So vet thought nothing caught up (gave her a good exam - basically moved all back and up into her abdomen - which didn't seem to hurt the cat at all) so I just have cream for the skin infection (they shaved her) and then they said to try putting together some sort of sling/hernia belt to keep her insides in! The don''t do the mesh surgery, but they said they wouldn't do it on her anyway due to her age. Cat is ok. She's a very good and healthy 19. Does not look like an old cat.

So, I understand the prognosis on this isn't good, I have an idea for a simple belly harness (have to get velcro strips today) but I was just wondering if anyone had dealt with anything similar? Obvs if her qualify of life goes down, I'll do what needs doing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

first and foremost get a second professional opinion. My vet would have never missed something like that. take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

first and foremost get a second professional opinion. My vet would have never missed something like that. take it from there.

Honestly? I don't think they missed it. They just didn't bother to tell me about it... (fact the notes of the last visit refered to the muscles...)

And there aren't any other vets within about a 4 hour drive that I have any faith in, and the cat wouldn't last that long in the car as she hates, hates the car...

It makes sense to me that current diagnosis is correct. Was very apparent during the exam it all travelled back in...

I can;t believe that I missed it myself originally, but we've just lost 2 cats (Mother and Daugher - 17 and 22) in the last 4 weeks due to cancer so I guess my head was clouded by that

I understand I have to be aware of any blockages etc - was just wondering if anyone has any experience of anything similar? I'm guessing not. Just want to make sure I'm now on the look out for anything as while she is fine at the moment I know this situation could go downhill fast.

Thanks very much for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of this in an old cat?

I'm raging as I took the cat to the vets 3 weeks ago, with what a feared was a tumour on her stomach. Vet said it was soft, no not tumour so probably just a fatty mass. Because she's 19, he said it was just due to age and she was "dropping" a bit in the tummy area. If he's said to me then it was a hernia - I would have bloody well been looking out for her and have discussed options at that point.

Thanks

My vet would have not just checked for the mass but run an ultrasound.That would have discovered the hernia asap. Thats all i'm saying. Thats also why I'm saying the vet missed it , and loose trust in that vet. No experience with hernia's in cats, (or in anyone) but lots of experience with vets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Your vets don't sound great!:(. I've not personally had one one of my cats with a hernia, livestock with umbilical hernias yes but not had a cat with one, but have seen them, mainly inguinal. They are fixable if the animal is young and fit as it is really a big op. But if yours is as bad as it sounds then a bandage type arrangement to keep everything in place is your best bet as a temporary fix for the moment. I'd see how your cat gets on with that, I know if I put a sling round a couple of mine they'd go nuts so depends on how chilled your cat is, the trick will be to stop the sling bunching up and the guts still prolapsing. It's worth trying anyway, other than stopping the injuries to the skin hitting the ground it will prevent a strangulated gut, I'd try and keep her somewhere she can't jump and make the tear in the muscle bigger which is a risk.

If that doesn't work personally I wouldn't myself put a cat that old through surgery, the drugs used can damage the kidneys not to mention strain the heart which in a young cat will sort out but in an elderly cat they often are fine for a few days then they crash, the last thing you want is your old cat to die in pain and stress after an op. Your also far more likely to be looking at a few days in the vets to stabilise her afterwards so a lot of stress for an old mog.

It's better to call it a day when they are happy and doing their thing than wait until they are sick, been there done that and regretted not putting them down sooner, you're only prolonging the inevitable. It's a hard choice I know, I've got the same decision looming over me at the mo, 2 of our old fart cats we've decided to pts come winter, they didn't do well last winter both have had ongoing health issues all their lives as they are very inbred rescue cats, and have not picked up much over summer, they're still happy pootling about and sunbathing at the mo though, I hate this part of pet ownership!:(. I hope the sling works!:)

Thanks, I'll let you's know how it goes. I was thinking about different things but have decided on simple may be best. Rectangle of material - with velcro straps that will just attach over the back. That way should be adjustable, and give her support without to much faff - like you said, to keep her belly up.

She's doing ok today. No problems with touching her at all to put the cream on her tummy - I guess her skin must be itchy with the infection. She's not worried about you touching or moving her tummy at all, which is good. You're right - I'm most concerned about a strangulation so we'll see how this goes after a day or two and if it's not working or she's not happy at all, then I'll have to do the necessary.

• Advertisement

So, that gel we've been using on her skin is excellent, as skin seems to have magically healed up and is dry and looks great.

Fashioned a sling out of cut up tea towel (t-shirt material too thin and not supportive enough) which is tied up on her back and she seems to be doing fine! Drinking and eating, much more mobile (she's a front right tripod - so dips at the front which may have contributed to this)

She doesn't appear to be in any pain at all, purrs away, eating and drinking, litter tray ok, and allows manipulation of her tummy (I'm very wary of strangulation) with no sign of any discomfort.

EVERYTHING crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelleryan86

So, that gel we've been using on her skin is excellent, as skin seems to have magically healed up and is dry and looks great.

Fashioned a sling out of cut up tea towel (t-shirt material too thin and not supportive enough) which is tied up on her back and she seems to be doing fine! Drinking and eating, much more mobile (she's a front right tripod - so dips at the front which may have contributed to this)

She doesn't appear to be in any pain at all, purrs away, eating and drinking, litter tray ok, and allows manipulation of her tummy (I'm very wary of strangulation) with no sign of any discomfort.

EVERYTHING crossed.

I am very sorry to hear about your troubles, your poor cat. She is such a good age and you obviously love her very much. I am very glad to hear that she is doing better, they are such a worry when they are unwell. They really are like children. My oldest is 15 now and I can't begin to imagine life without her, part of the family aren't they.

I hope she continues to improve, she sounds like a real fighter like all female cats!

All the best!

Thanks so much for your kind words

She's my Dad's cat and we lost him before Christmas, so it's even more upsetting that usual with this one.

I know that we'll be lucky for any extra time we get with her. Praying she'll be ok. Understand though that this could change very quickly so will be very vigilant of her.

Thanks again
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelleryan86

Thanks so much for your kind words

She's my Dad's cat and we lost him before Christmas, so it's even more upsetting that usual with this one.

I know that we'll be lucky for any extra time we get with her. Praying she'll be ok. Understand though that this could change very quickly so will be very vigilant of her.

Thanks again
    x

I understand completely. She must be such a pet and very important to your family. Its heart breaking seeing them unwell and the thought of losing them is just awful. She is very lucky to have such a loving family though. I love seeing and hearing about people really taking care of their pets, there are so many that aren't treated well at all. Its tough when they are sick but all we can do for them is love them and be a nice a possible to them as long as we have them.

Make sure to send updates on how she is doing. I will be thinking of you both!

Just a quick update - Lulu is doing really well. Eating and drinking, peeing and pooing all ok. She's getting more mobile each day. Still keeping everything crossed, but looking good at the moment...

• Advertisement
Advertisement