Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to Work at Unsociable Times

• 28-07-2016 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

If a night shift employee finishes their shirt at a time when public transport in not in operation, is the employer responsible for providing transport home for the employee?

ie Can an employee claim expenses to pay for a taxi home after a night shift?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

No. That's why most jobs state that employees must have transportation outside of the hours that public transport operates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

No, as jackinthemix94 stated. I have never seen an employer provide for taxis for scheduled shifts.

Some companies do occasionally cover taxis where they have requested OT outside of an employee's normal hours, but usually only to ensure that the employee agrees to do the OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My employer will provide a taxi home if your shift finishs or starts when public transport is not running.

They're very strict with it and there's a max that the fare can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

There is a tax break if your employer pays for a taxi home. If you leave after 10pm the trip will not be subject to BIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

A company i worked in indirectly provided taxis for employees finishing at 12 at night this was back in the 90s though before 12 hour shifts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement