Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog to UK and back by ferry

• 28-07-2016 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi, Dfor is to travel with me to the UK for a month or two. He's chipped, due a booster before we go. He'll be travelling in the car. Used to do this without thinking but anyone know of the requirements now? If he has to get a rabies shot can that be done in the UK before we come back, save waiting 21 days here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No, he has to have the rabies vacc and passport 21 days before you leave Ireland, it is needed to enter the UK as well as to enter Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 optimist16

Thanks muddypaws... that's so messed up my world, but Dfor comes first :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

If you're traveling P&O they state that they don't require a pet passport (http://www.poferries.com/en/cairnryan-larne/travelling-with-us/taking-your-pet ) - those NI/Scotland routes are all internal UK travel. I've never seen a check on the ROI/NI border, though it's probably just a matter of time now.

I'd hate to get randomly stopped somewhere and not have passports though (especially coming back!) so mine are passported. It's not a huge amount of money for peace of mind, just a pain having to wait the 21 days! :)

Choc Chip wrote: »
    If you're traveling P&O they state that they don't require a pet passport (http://www.poferries.com/en/cairnryan-larne/travelling-with-us/taking-your-pet ) - those NI/Scotland routes are all internal UK travel. I've never seen a check on the ROI/NI border, though it's probably just a matter of time now.

I'd hate to get randomly stopped somewhere and not have passports though (especially coming back!) so mine are passported. It's not a huge amount of money for peace of mind, just a pain having to wait the 21 days! :)

No, legally of course no passport needed going from NI to Scotland, but it was at a Scottish port that they stopped and sent back a load of puppies on a ferry that had arrived from NI. If you are travelling in an RoI registered car, they could stop you, and obviously proving the dog has only ever been in NI could be difficult.

I go back and forth a lot OP and have only been asked to show the passports a couple of times, and only once did they actually look in each one at the date of the rabies vacc.

Thanks chocchip. Wonder if Brexit will alter those EU rulings :) I'm heading to Cornwall so no northern crossing for me. I'd be afraid that if I was checked Dfor could get confiscated.

• Advertisement

optimist16 wrote: »
    Thanks chocchip. Wonder if Brexit will alter those EU rulings :) I'm heading to Cornwall so no northern crossing for me. I'd be afraid that if I was checked Dfor could get confiscated.

Ireland and GB used to have a different arrangement to the continent, which was agreed between the two states, even when the pet passport between EU countries came in. It was the British government then that started to implement the passport and rabies rules, and it seemed to come as a surprise to the Irish authorities when they did. :( So I don't think they will stop insisting when they leave the EU. Lets hope it doesn't actually make it harder to bring dogs back into Ireland, as they will be coming from outside an EU country.

Muddypaws I had a quick look at your link there. Fabulous. I've just retired myself out of a lifetime training horses. 30 years ago there used to be a chap with a house in Delamere forest that ran a team and trained on the trails. The horses and I would have a really good look :) Happy mushing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

muddypaws wrote: »
    No, legally of course no passport needed going from NI to Scotland, but it was at a Scottish port that they stopped and sent back a load of puppies on a ferry that had arrived from NI. If you are travelling in an RoI registered car, they could stop you, and obviously proving the dog has only ever been in NI could be difficult.

I go back and forth a lot OP and have only been asked to show the passports a couple of times, and only once did they actually look in each one at the date of the rabies vacc.

Totally forgot that was in Scotland! In fact, I didn't even register that crossing was NI/UK at the time. They're hopefully cracking down on shipping puppies over then (though the pet passport thing between the UK/ROI is insane).

Off-topic - OP, is that Dfor Dog? I actually lolled.

Chocchip....I once had a horse whose parentage lent him towards being called Big Dick. I caught myself just in time, wouldn't have been good for me to enter the ring and have them announce me riding him :) Think Dfor got off light :)

Back on topic .....thanks for all help and I'm rethinking travel plans. I have to go over soon, so Dfor will be out working with his Dad here, and I'll try and cut my trip short. I'll get him done asap so he'll be right for the next time.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Totally forgot that was in Scotland! In fact, I didn't even register that crossing was NI/UK at the time. They're hopefully cracking down on shipping puppies over then (though the pet passport thing between the UK/ROI is insane).

Off-topic - OP, is that Dfor Dog? I actually lolled.

I see they have caught another shipment, Irish and British authorities working together to stop the illegal puppy trade.

I called a rescue dog Diefer, his new family loved the name so kept it, he's a gorgeous boy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Didgeridoodoo

How do people in Northern Ireland living on the border operate. Say if u have a dog in Newry Uk and wanna bring him for a walk in Dundalk, Ireland
    do you need a dog passport rabies vacsination and all the works
    any1 know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How do people in Northern Ireland living on the border operate. Say if u have a dog in Newry Uk and wanna bring him for a walk in Dundalk, Ireland
    do you need a dog passport rabies vacsination and all the works
    any1 know?

Eh there's no border between the republic and north!

tk123 wrote: »
    Eh there's no border between the republic and north!

there definatly is, sure isn't the dog moving between the uk and ireland
    that border is on every map ive seen

I wonder if anyone has told the foxes and stray dogs they need their passport to go from Monaghan and into Fermanagh.

There is no physical border. It is something that is being discussed at the moment, with Brexit - not sure if you heard about that, the UK held a vote and have decided to leave the EU. It was all over the news last month.

there definatly is, sure isn't the dog moving between the uk and ireland
    that border is on every map ive seen

Yeah you can drive across unchecked - there's no passport controls or checkpoints since the early 90's.

I wonder if anyone has told the foxes and stray dogs they need their passport to go from Monaghan and into Fermanagh.

There is no physical border. It is something that is being discussed at the moment, with Brexit - not sure if you heard about that, the UK held a vote and have decided to leave the EU. It was all over the news last month.

i dunno if your right. mate of mine has pigs and he said lot of paperwork is needed to send pigs from ireland to uk northern ireland and viceversa
    the law is funny not as straghforward as you mite think

i dunno if your right. mate of mine has pigs and he said lot of paperwork is needed to send pigs from ireland to uk northern ireland and viceversa
    the law is funny not as straghforward as you mite think

You could well be right, I must look out for people walking pigs in the Northern Irish forests I visit, see if they've come from RoI, then I'll ask them :D

You could well be right, I must look out for people walking pigs in the Northern Irish forests I visit, see if they've come from RoI, then I'll ask them :D

ah listen, i was just makin the point and asking a fair question.
    no need for a smart answer, in fairness

ah listen, i was just makin the point and asking a fair question.
    no need for a smart answer, in fairness

In fairness, i walk a lot in NI forrests and have yet to meet a pig being walked there. your orignial question was about people walking dogs in one state, but living in the other, so was just answering that. maybe ask in the equestrain forum about how they manage when going to shows in one or the other with horses.

In fairness, i walk a lot in NI forrests and have yet to meet a pig being walked there.

Pig on a lead = pulled pork! :P

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Pig on a lead = pulled pork! :P

hmmm
    Travel between the UK and Ireland and vv for dogs requires a pet passport
    The question I had was a serious one. Do u need a petpassport for travel between NI and Ire.
    It's alla laugh till some1s up in court for having brought in a deadly disease and they didn't follow the rules.

If this is just a mickey taking forum Ill just go elsewhere for an answer
    If you don't no you could just say so

hmmm
    The question I had was a serious one. Do u need a petpassport for travel between NI and Ire.
    It's alla laugh till some1s up in court for having brought in a deadly disease and they didn't follow the rules.

You've already been told the answer is NO as there is free travel (for humans and dogs at least) between the north and south of Ireland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I travel regularly to the North from the South of Ireland with my pigs & have never been stopped. I can't see that changing any time soon.

Passports all the way for horses. Movement is documented by the owner. They can check the chip with a reader against the passport. It's probably the same for dogs but not enforced.....yet.

hmmm

waht deadly disease would you think they would be in court for bringing in?

Passports all the way for horses. Movement is documented by the owner. They can check the chip with a reader against the passport. It's probably the same for dogs but not enforced.....yet.
    Thanks for the (polite) answer
    Its what i thought myslef= sounds right

waht deadly disease would you think they would be in court for bringing in?

Teebee maybe

Thanks for the (polite) answer
    Its what i thought myslef= sounds right

So because you think something, that makes it true? Interesting.

As mentioned previously in this thread, the UK and Irish authorities have been working together to stop the illegal movement of puppies into GB. Now, if dogs cannot move from RoI into NI without a passport, how come they are sent back to RoI when they are seized? Surely, by law, they shouldn't be allowed out of NI once seized?

Teebee maybe

Dogs and TB? Do you know what the actual requirements are for a dog to move from RoI to GB?

• Advertisement

It was done to keep a tab to keep a tab on what goes into the meat industry, and make more money out of us of course. Didn't work all that well did it. Guess at the moment we're not putting dog into the burgers and it doesn't pay enough to check us all randomly. Easier forms of revenue....just about anything to do with a car it seems :)

So because you think something, that makes it true? Interesting.

As mentioned previously in this thread, the UK and Irish authorities have been working together to stop the illegal movement of puppies into GB. Now, if dogs cannot move from RoI into NI without a passport, how come they are sent back to RoI when they are seized? Surely, by law, they shouldn't be allowed out of NI once seized?

deportation
    If you travel to a country without a passport you can be sent back to where you came from
    Not having a passport isnt a defence
    Im not sticking around to have the mickey taken out of me for only asking an honest question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but it's getting a little confusing what with pigs and horses and the north and the border and all, but if I want to bring my 3 dogs over on the boat to hollyhead as I do most years to visit family, I now need a pet passport and rabies vaccination for them. When did they start that?

It was done to keep a tab to keep a tab on what goes into the meat industry, and make more money out of us of course. Didn't work all that well did it. Guess at the moment we're not putting dog into the burgers and it doesn't pay enough to check us all randomly. Easier forms of revenue....just about anything to do with a car it seems :)

Ya, good point

RustyNut wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but it's getting a little confusing what with pigs and horses and the north and the border and all, but if I want to bring my 3 dogs over on the boat to hollyhead as I do most years to visit family, I now need a pet passport and rabies vaccination for them. When did they start that?
    Gas that homo sapiens dont need a passport to go between Uk and Ireland !!!!!
    Canis familiaris does though
    Crazy world innit

Rustynut....great name.....and thx for the giggle.....just stay lucky :) I discovered if you have a row with the other half at customs they leave you alone, it worked bringing cigs home anyway :)

• Advertisement

Dogs and TB? Do you know what the actual requirements are for a dog to move from RoI to GB?

Sure doesnt the vet have to sign off the dog is healthy on the passport
    if the dog had tb he would not be healthy
    therefore no travel allowed
    but if you went from Ni to ireland
    and no passport for the dog
    and the dog had tb
    and someone got sick and maybe who knows died from catching tb from the dog
    the judge might look a bit funny on the situation
    its all im saying
    safer to get the passport id say

Sure doesnt the vet have to sign off the dog is healthy on the passport
    if the dog had tb he would not be healthy
    therefore no travel allowed
    but if you went from Ni to ireland
    and no passport for the dog
    and the dog had tb
    and someone got sick and maybe who knows died from catching tb from the dog
    the judge might look a bit funny on the situation
    its all im saying
    safer to get the passport id say

Nope. Oh I miss dishdash, he/she could have filled you in on it all.

A dog doesn't legally have to have any vaccinations whatsoever to move between EU countries apart from rabies. Between GB and RoI worming is also not required. So guess what, you can bring parvo in, and you won't be prosecuted, or indeed any other dog disease, except for rabies.

I must ask my vet tomorrow about getting my dogs vaccinated against TB.

Yes, dogs need a pet passport with a current rabies vaccination for travel between Ireland and GB. Its been in since January 2014, but does seem to be being enforced more now. They are really looking for puppy farmers and dealers, but they do sometimes ask pet owners for their dog's passport. The rabies vaccination lasts for 3 years, and must be given at least 21 days before the dog travels. To get the passport, the dog must be microchipped, but obviously thats a legal requirement on both sides of the Irish sea now anyway.

Thanks.
    That's news to me. We were last over last December, the lads are chipped, vaccinated, taxed licensed and wormed of course but no rabies vaccination or passport. I better get on top of that. The lads will feel all important having a passport. :pac:

If it reduces puppy farmers exporting their "goods" then I suppose that's a good thing.

• Advertisement

Nope. Oh I miss dishdash, he/she could have filled you in on it all.

A dog doesn't legally have to have any vaccinations whatsoever to move between EU countries apart from rabies. Between GB and RoI worming is also not required. So guess what, you can bring parvo in, and you won't be prosecuted, or indeed any other dog disease, except for rabies.

I must ask my vet tomorrow about getting my dogs vaccinated against TB.

i read this post just a minute ago- i copied and pasted below
    please stop giving me a hard time

Hi all,
    There has been a growing tendency in the forum over the past while for new posters, or less experienced owners, or even people with an alternative viewpoint, to be harangued and picked on because they simply don't have the same awareness as many of the really knowledgeable, experienced posters we're lucky to have contributing to the forum.
    Now, I know how annoying it can be sometimes when people come on here and, for example, ask how to become pack leader, or how to get a cheap pedigree dog, or how to go about buying a dog on X website, or how they have to rehome their dog because it sheds too much... you get the gist.
    But one thing is absolutely clear... taking the aggressive, emotive, you're-so-ignorant approach that has become all-too-common here is a disastrous way to try to change minds. There are quite a few of us guilty of it, myself included from time to time, but it's got to stop.
    It gets people's backs up and makes them disappear from the forum thinking that we're all mad, and who knows? Maybe they turn to someone far less desirable (in real life) for help? Do we really want that to happen?
    Who wants to get verbally beaten up when all they did was look for help?
    It's a common theme in many pet-related forums... on one hand people are pushing the positive, ethical message about pet welfare, yet they treat their fellow humans with disdain when they look for help, just because they don't know the score and aren't bang up to date on the latest research or approaches.

The point of this thread is to get the message out there loud and clear: it is a requirement of the forum charter to treat your fellow posters with respect.
    The mod team are going to start coming down more heavily on anyone who breaches this rule, particularly in the context I describe here. Of course there will be trolls and that's what the report function is for, but otherwise, we will start issuing warnings and bans for repeat offenders when it comes to their unacceptable treatment of other users of this forum.
    We do understand the frustration that is sometimes caused, but take my word for it... virtual yelling at people and stomping about does not work, and it is killing this forum.
    It is far, far more effective to take a deep breath, to leave the emotions at the door, and to calmly put your point across.
    The experience on this forum makes it, potentially, a great place for pet owners to find reliable, non-judgmental help, to make their pets' lives better.
    So please, let's turn things around here, and restore this forum to a place that's safe for everyone, no matter what their level of experience or knowledge, to post.
    Thanks,
    DBB

i read this post just a minute ago- i copied and pasted below
    please stop giving me a hard time

Hi all,
    There has been a growing tendency in the forum over the past while for new posters, or less experienced owners, or even people with an alternative viewpoint, to be harangued and picked on because they simply don't have the same awareness as many of the really knowledgeable, experienced posters we're lucky to have contributing to the forum.
    Now, I know how annoying it can be sometimes when people come on here and, for example, ask how to become pack leader, or how to get a cheap pedigree dog, or how to go about buying a dog on X website, or how they have to rehome their dog because it sheds too much... you get the gist.
    But one thing is absolutely clear... taking the aggressive, emotive, you're-so-ignorant approach that has become all-too-common here is a disastrous way to try to change minds. There are quite a few of us guilty of it, myself included from time to time, but it's got to stop.
    It gets people's backs up and makes them disappear from the forum thinking that we're all mad, and who knows? Maybe they turn to someone far less desirable (in real life) for help? Do we really want that to happen?
    Who wants to get verbally beaten up when all they did was look for help?
    It's a common theme in many pet-related forums... on one hand people are pushing the positive, ethical message about pet welfare, yet they treat their fellow humans with disdain when they look for help, just because they don't know the score and aren't bang up to date on the latest research or approaches.

The point of this thread is to get the message out there loud and clear: it is a requirement of the forum charter to treat your fellow posters with respect.
    The mod team are going to start coming down more heavily on anyone who breaches this rule, particularly in the context I describe here. Of course there will be trolls and that's what the report function is for, but otherwise, we will start issuing warnings and bans for repeat offenders when it comes to their unacceptable treatment of other users of this forum.
    We do understand the frustration that is sometimes caused, but take my word for it... virtual yelling at people and stomping about does not work, and it is killing this forum.
    It is far, far more effective to take a deep breath, to leave the emotions at the door, and to calmly put your point across.
    The experience on this forum makes it, potentially, a great place for pet owners to find reliable, non-judgmental help, to make their pets' lives better.
    So please, let's turn things around here, and restore this forum to a place that's safe for everyone, no matter what their level of experience or knowledge, to post.
    Thanks,
    DBB

And how is the reply I gave that you quoted giving you a hard time????

"Nope. Oh I miss dishdash, he/she could have filled you in on it all.

I must ask my vet tomorrow about getting my dogs vaccinated against TB."

At the risk of getting into trouble backseat modding, you can report my posts, a mod will then deal with it. :D

Thanks.
    That's news to me. We were last over last December, the lads are chipped, vaccinated, taxed licensed and wormed of course but no rabies vaccination or passport. I better get on top of that. The lads will feel all important having a passport. :pac:

Yeah, I go over regularly, sometimes they check, most times they don't. But there is an operation in force at the moment where they are trying to catch illegal puppy traders, so don't know if they are checking more random vehicles, or targetting specific ones that they suspect.

All horses had to have a passport in 04, then in 09 they had to have a chip as well, then came premises numbers. Do you think all that could become compulsory for dogs? I don't like the thoughts of it. It might favour the mass producers rather than the likes of me and Dfor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Didgeridoodoo,
    Please refrain from backseat moderation. It's against the forum charter to attempt to call how others should or should not post.
    It is difficult for people to take you seriously when you're closing accounts and opening new ones on a regular basis, in the process returning each time with a sort of persona change, with what appear to be repeated attempts to stir things up. If you'd stick to the one username and debate your points rather than storming off and closing your accounts, you might just find that people can take you more seriously than they do/can.

To all, despite the above, it is a forum requirement to treat other posters with respect.

Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

All horses had to have a passport in 04, then in 09 they had to have a chip as well, then came premises numbers. Do you think all that could become compulsory for dogs? I don't like the thoughts of it. It might favour the mass producers rather than the likes of me and Dfor.

I don't think so, at least I hope not. Although I guess, a dog licence is probably very similar to a premises number?

I know now to get a balai cert, which is needed for the commercial transportation of dogs, you have to show the new microchip certificate that is being issued, they won't just accept the fact that its written on the passport by the vet anymore. So I think maybe they are tightening up the commercial end of it, but hopefully not the pet side too much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Didgeridont

I don't think so, at least I hope not. Although I guess, a dog licence is probably very similar to a premises number?

I know now to get a balai cert, which is needed for the commercial transportation of dogs, you have to show the new microchip certificate that is being issued, they won't just accept the fact that its written on the passport by the vet anymore. So I think maybe they are tightening up the commercial end of it, but hopefully not the pet side too much more.

I

DBB wrote: »
    Didgeridoodoo,
    Please refrain from backseat moderation. It's against the forum charter to attempt to call how others should or should not post.
    It is difficult for people to take you seriously when you're closing accounts and opening new ones on a regular basis, in the process returning each time with a sort of persona change, with what appear to be repeated attempts to stir things up. If you'd stick to the one username and debate your points rather than storming off and closing your accounts, you might just find that people can take you more seriously than they do/can.

To all, despite the above, it is a forum requirement to treat other posters with respect.

Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

You have my apologies
    I'm interested in challenging the cosy consensus
    What's wrong with that?
    It might be time to revise the forum charter. Why you should have the last say I don't know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As per the forum charter, arguing with a mod post on thread merits an automatic red card. Didgeridont, formerly Didgeridoodoo, Dishdash, and Deisedays is hereby issued with a red card for the above post.
    Please do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

DBB wrote: »
    As per the forum charter, arguing with a mod post on thread merits an automatic red card. Didgeridont, formerly Didgeridoodoo, Dishdash, and Deisedays is hereby issued with a red card for the above post.
    Please do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Ok, fine, I just don't agree with how the forum is moderated

• Advertisement
Advertisement