Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship/L1/L2 & Conference - 2016/17

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Berserker wrote: »
    The move relates to the capacity of WHL. Part of WHL has been knocked down due to the building of your new stadium, from what I have read.

Cheers meant to post this in the liverpool/tottenham match thread:)

Newcastle look to hitting their stride now, good win for Brentford also. Have moved near Griffin Park and been to a good few of their home games this season. Decent outfit with a few Irish lads in the squad. Would love to see them make the play offs. Interesting little video here about the 'moneyball' approach they are using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Not easy being a Derby fan...but we got a much needed win tonight !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Good win for the Bees , up to 4th now. Rode their luck for the first 30 mins tonight but dominated from there on. Really like the look of John Egan at centre back. Hogan got a good goal and a nice assist. Very similar player to Shane Long but think he is a more natural finisher. Hopefully he gets a call up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sounds like a cracking game in Newcastle tonight. Newcastle 1-0 up, 1-3 down, get it back to 2-3 and score 2 goals in the 96th minute to win the game 4-3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Paully D wrote: »
    Sounds like a cracking game in Newcastle tonight. Newcastle 1-0 up, 1-3 down, get it back to 2-3 and score 2 goals in the 96th minute to win the game 4-3!

Probably the only bit of joy happening in the North East these days. ;)

I won't judge you if you wanna jump on the bandwagon Paully.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Probably the only bit of joy happening in the North East these days. ;)

I won't judge you if you wanna jump on the bandwagon Paully.

We will be swapping divisions for next season anyway. Maybe we can just do Premier League status on an annual rotational basis. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Neil Warnock takes over at Cardiff City. Villa still looking, Coventry "resigned" surely the least inspiring man in football (Tony Mowbary) and have won both games since.

And Derby running around like headless chickens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Scrappy win for Birmingham last night gives us a tiny bit of breathing space in the playoff spots.

Brighton, Newcastle, and Norwich look like they will stay top 6 all season so it looks like only 3 spots are available.

• Advertisement

Long season and all that but Newcastle and Norwich look like taking the top two spots already - Huddersfield simply don't score enough and Brighton also a bit parsimonious in front of goal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Made the trip to watch Forest last weekend and got to see them beat Birmingham which was fun (lets ignore last nights result). Myself and 3 mates tried to get tickets for Villa/Wolves the next day but they would only sell one ticket per person with a booking history. Is this the norm now for derbies? Only one of us was a Villa fan so we watched it in the pub. The guy in the ticket office was saying they were worried about Wolves fans buying Villa home tickets which was amusing because one of the lads with us is a Wolves fan but in general how many Wolves fans really want to sit and watch the game with Villa fans? I think it's bad business if you ask me. If a tourist is visiting a UK City and fancies taking in a game thats what they are greeted with. Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Brilliant performance from Burton so far, 2-0 up against Birmingham.

Johner wrote: »
    Brilliant performance from Burton so far, 2-0 up against Birmingham.

Well deserved win, could really have been 5 or 6 with the chances they had. I am very impressed with their performance, comfortable in defence and constantly a threat in attack.

Birmingham were atrocious, can't think of a single player who came out of that game with any credit. Passing and crosses were at a substandard level. Big changes needed for Villa next weekend, otherwise it could be an embarrassment. At least Grounds is suspended so that removes one liability from the team, need Kuszczak back in goal as well.

Walter Zenga sacked by Wolves. Not a lot of patience being shown in the West Midlands recently.

All the managers sacked so far in the Championship were only appointed over the summer which shows how ruthless the championship is.

Just crazy, 14 games is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,963 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alex Neil claimed Norwich were prepared for the "old-fashioned" and "direct" attack Brighton used.

Prepared to roll over, it would appear. Oops.

Huddersfield thrashed 5-0 by Fulham! Incredible reversal of expectation.

Newcastle have promotion sewn up. They'll stroll to the title as expected.

Looks an interesting battle elsewhere however with only 7 points separating Bristol in the last playoff spot to Derby in 19th place. Put 3 wins together and you could go from the relegation places (Wigan in 22nd place) to being right in playoff contention.

It's a cracking league for the neutral.

Decent point for Birmingham today. On the balance of play, we probably should have won. Villa were solid defensively and hard to break down, but we made it easy for them by continually lumping the ball forward. It really should be the last time Gleeson and Kieftenbeld play together as the middle two, they went missing when we needed creativity in the centre of the park. Horrible injury for Wiggins as well after a very composed full debut, he certainly looked like the solution to the left back issues but now we have to stick with Grounds till Christmas. Tough couple of games coming up against playoff rivals, will have a greater idea of our playoff hopes at Christmas.

Whole team performance and a goal celebration to bring a tear to a glass eye (Sidwell running for Knockaert's jersey - Knockaert is on leave due to his dad dying).

Somehow feel more confident this year with solid performances and the occasional loss than I did with an unbeaten, mostly 0-0 or 1-0 run last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ian Holloway is back at QPR as there new manager.

Ian Holloway is back at QPR as there new manager.

Good first win for him, slightly disappointed he won't be on Sky Sports anymore as he was enjoyable. Norwich really stuck in a rut a couple of weeks after looking like them and Newcastle would run away with the league. Newcastle look pretty comfortable but can't rule them out going through a bad run of form but they have a built up a gap to the chasing pack so should be safe enough. Brighton should get a top 6 finish as well and then really any of the rest of the teams in the league apart from Rotherham could make the top 6. Very hard to call at this stage.

Kenny Jackett making a swift exit from Rotherham, hard to see them staying up. A little stumble by Newcastle at the weekend but still in a comfortable position. Brighton and Reading are keeping up the pressure. Derby and Villa looking threatening outside the playoffs, probably won't be long till one or both of them are in the top 6. Happy that Birmingham are establishing themselves in the top 6, but have to face Newcastle, Brighton and Derby in December so that will be a big test of their playoff hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Was at the Wolves-Sheffield Wednesday match on Saturday.Molineux is a decent ground. Low enough quality match, too many aimless long balls which went straight out of play. Wolves are in serious trouble if they keep playing like they did. Heads went straight down after the first goal went in and the few chances they did get they wasted. Wednesday aren't too bad and Foresteri looks very useful but they will certainly face tougher opponents.

Superbly entertaining game down at Forest now live on Sky Sports. Newcastle leading 1-0, but have had 2 players sent off and Forest have missed 2 penalties!

You can't beat the Championship for action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

What the f*ck is happening in the Newcastle game. Two ridiculous penalty calls.

Absolutely huge game for Burton today at home to Rotherham, anything less than three points would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Preston strikers were lethal today...lol

Shane Duffy has scored against Blackburn Rovers again. Just this time intentionally.

Extremely close in the playoffs between 8 teams, be interesting to see if any of the teams can push on to catch Brighton and Newcastle.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Extremely close in the playoffs between 8 teams, be interesting to see if any of the teams can push on to catch Brighton and Newcastle.

I do hope not. I refuse to get distracted with any dogfight with Newcastle until we're very, very, very far ahead of 3rd. If that happens (albeit 8 points is relatively far at this stage of the season)

Absolutely shocked that Rowett has been sacked, definitely one of the strangest sackings. He has done a terrific job these last two years on a shoestring budget, and showed repeated loyalty to the club by turning down teams with more money. One of the best managers in the division, will have the pick of the jobs.

Just when we thought we got rid of our useless owners, it looks like the new owners aren't much better. No clue what is next for Birmingham, I presume they have someone lined up otherwise we go into the next two games against two of the in-form sides in the league without a clue.

Yeah that Rowett sacking seemed like madness.

Huge result in a must win game last night for Burton winning 2-1 away at Rotherham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Oldham sack Robinson and bring back Sheridan for the 3rd time........save us jeebus!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Top of the championship is starting to get really interesting now. Thought Newcastle were fairly comfortable but it's getting very tight now.

Newcastle P31 Pts 66
    Brighton P31 Pts 65
    Huddersfield P31 Pts 61
    Reading P32 Pts 60
    Leeds P32 Pts 57
    Sheffield Wednesday P31 Pts 55

Still think Newcastle and Brighton will go up automatically, but not looking as certain as it was a couple of weeks ago. Good few teams lurking outside the play off places so if a team can put a sustained run together they can make a challenge.

All going wrong for Zola at Birmingham, performances haven't been great but also having no luck at all. Don't think we have the players to play the style of football Zola wants, but I presume he will persist with it till he can sign a whole raft of new players in the summer.

Derby going from bad to worse I'm afraid..Every time I see them the more I realise they are miles away from Premiership standard..no chance of promotion now...

rodge68 wrote: »
    Derby going from bad to worse I'm afraid..Every time I see them the more I realise they are miles away from Premiership standard..no chance of promotion now...

Seeing what Paul Clement is doing at Swansea can't help...his sacking was premature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think Newcastle will be alright, but I fear for Brighton who have bad memories of just missing out last year, and the pressure to go up automatically is intensified by their atrocious playoff record in the last few years.

• Advertisement

Seeing what Paul Clement is doing at Swansea can't help...his sacking was premature.

I agree..seemingly our Chairman is hard to get along with and they clashed, odd as he gave him the job a short time before...more mediocrity....I should be used to it !

Long season and all that but Newcastle and Norwich look like taking the top two spots already - Huddersfield simply don't score enough and Brighton also a bit parsimonious in front of goal.

:o

Be great if 'uddersfield could get promoted, David Wagner v Jurgen Klopp would be a cracker and guaranteed "troll fest" on match threads!

Huddersfield failed to capitalise on Newcastle's mini stumble today, however they still look like the only team that will threaten the top two. Preston and Fulham are putting together a run to challenge the playoff places, them two and Norwich look the most likely to challenge the playoff places. Some important games over the next two weeks between the main playoff contenders, so really should have a clearer picture then of the challengers.

Important win for Birmingham on Friday night, should hopefully put enough between us and the relegation spots. Still big question marks over Zola, but if we had put together a good enough run till the end of the season, I will have a bit more faith going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Norwich sack Alex Neil.

No shock there! Terrible relegation campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pat Murphy from the BBC saying that Norwich are expected to announce Pardew as their next manager within 48 hours.

Lunatics I tells ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I thought it was obvious a long time ago that they weren't going back up with him and that there was something not quite right within the squad.

I would say his biggest mistake was keeping hold of certain players who were not committed to a long, hard season in the championship.

McClaren sacked again, no shock there.

Indeed, biggest underperformers in a league full of underperforming sides (bar Wolves possibly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    McClaren sacked again, no shock there.

Hes a jabroni and a half

• Advertisement
Advertisement