Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Jack Whites to Gorey

Options
  • 28-07-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭

Cycling due to wexford tomorrow after work, does anyone if the old N11 is still there and is it ok for cycling. Planning on going along the coast to brittas bay and then popping out on to the N11.

I Persume that I have to go through Arklow.

Anybody got a route suggestion ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Not sure how much of the old N11 is still there/easily navigable. Another option would be to stay closer to the cost on the R750 to Arklow. Or the route of the Peter McVerry trust cycle through Roundwood and Laragh to Arklow: https://www.strava.com/routes/5706688

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

xebec wrote: »
    Not sure how much of the old N11 is still there/easily navigable. Another option would be to stay closer to the cost on the R750 to Arklow. Or the route of the Peter McVerry trust cycle through Roundwood and Laragh to Arklow: https://www.strava.com/routes/5706688

Thanks , that's a nice route I may take the route via roundwood and Laragh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

The old N11 is still there but to get to it south of Wicklow you have to either take the road from Rathnew to Glenealy and turn down Deputies Pass, or head around by Wicklow Town and come onto it at the Beehive pub. It's still there all the way to Arklow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

All the old N11 is there still.
    The road south from Brittas Bay is poor until past the European club golf links.
    The old N11 is very quiet traffic wise, a man living on it told me you could sleep on the road now and be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Plastik wrote: »
    The old N11 is still there but to get to it south of Wicklow you have to either take the road from Rathnew to Glenealy and turn down Deputies Pass, or head around by Wicklow Town and come onto it at the Beehive pub. It's still there all the way to Arklow though.
    I'd say the latter is handier...
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Rathnew,+Co.+Wicklow/The+Beehive,+Coolbeg,+Wicklow+Town,+Co.+Wicklow/@52.9678203,-6.0951124,13.75z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x4867ba0c388ccc9b:0xa00c7a997318190!2m2!1d-6.082812!2d52.9946004!3m4!1m2!1d-6.0721691!2d52.9921772!3s0x4867b0a6d97bd6ed:0x55eea060338a4396!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867b9c07351c627:0x66038b7917eec6e8!2m2!1d-6.095566!2d52.952942!3e1?hl=en-GB

Better road surface on the "old" N11, well much of it is actually new for local access. I prefer the coast road to be honest for interest though (our flatter club spins are often down one and back up the other).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Another small diversion which is nice is to take the Coolgreany Road out of Arklow. Straight through roundabout at top of town instead of going left to N11. It loops around and rejoins the N11 at Toss Byrnes pub in Inch. Very quiet and lovely countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Old bit of the N11 at the very top of Rathnew hill to most of the way to the Beehive is the only bit that is gone, and obviously you wouldn't cycle the 200 yards of the new N11 required to bridge the gap there because it's against the law (and has quite a bit of debris on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

The old N11 is very much still there and is now the R722. I cycled from Dublin to Wexford on it last Monday. A nice route now with good surface and little traffic as far as Camolin where motorway ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

You could head out over wicklow gap..glendalough...Rathdrum... meeting of the waters..... Avoca..woodenbridge...Arklow... coming out of Arklow take a left turn to head on coast road..Castletown...Ballymoney...courtown..........ballygarret ....kilmuckridge ..... Blackwater...curracloe.... carry on to main road and take a left about 2km into Wexford town. A very scenic route....
    Oops just noticed you are going after work... Hopefully on a half day !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

saccades wrote: »
    Old bit of the N11 at the very top of Rathnew hill to most of the way to the Beehive is the only bit that is gone, and obviously you wouldn't cycle the 200 yards of the new N11 required to bridge the gap there because it's against the law (and has quite a bit of debris on it).

you have to use the Wicklow relief road between Rathnew and the Beehive:

https://goo.gl/maps/s7RjYDzRv292

(Google gives you the option of using the M11 but obviously that's not legal on a bike).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

loyatemu wrote: »
    you have to use the Wicklow relief road between Rathnew and the Beehive:

https://goo.gl/maps/s7RjYDzRv292

(Google gives you the option of using the M11 but obviously that's not legal on a bike).

Even if you select bike as the method of transport?

Edit, looks like the mapping might be wrong as if you zoom in it's taking you off at a non existent exit so it might be telling you to take the road parallel. If you start the journey earlier it doesn't bring you near there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Did this the June Bank Holiday weekend. Greystones-Rathnew-Wicklow Town-Beehive-Old N11. Its beautiful smooth road most of the way from the Beehive to the Clough Roundabout at the far side of Gorey. Then it's onto the N11 through Camolin-Ferns-Enniscorthy-Wexford. Worst bit is going through Arklow. Hardly any traffic at all on the bypassed sections of the old N11. A really good cycling route actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thank all I made it down and am shattered.
    Took the coast road as fast as brittas bay then up to Jack Whites and discovered that the N11 is dead, long live the R722. ( forgot that they can't have N and M roads with the same name )
    The poster up above was spot it it's fantastic really good surface and bar the wexfird bus you could indeed have a sleep on it she be safe. From Arklow I took the coolgeary ( bad spelling?) road as advised, it was a nice road with a few small hills. But I had to stop when leaving the village to check google maps as the road signs are all over the place and pointing the wrong direction ( some things in Ireland never change ) tempted to stop in Toss Byrnes but I don't think I would have got back in the bike. Clean road then to Ballymoney.

Glad I put the lights and Dynamo wheel back on the bike as the roads were beginning to get dark and full of speeding Dubs getting out of Dodge for the weekend.

Advertisement