Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations please

Options
  • 28-07-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi

The other half has taking up cycling and i would like to get him a gift of
    one them things for tracking your miles and speed etc, the budget is <100

any suggestions

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Something like a Cateye Strada Cadence is a good initial device. It records distance, average speed, max speed and displays current speed and various parameters. The wireless version costs about twice as much but there are no wires to run along the bike frame.

If he gets seriously into it, he'll end up shopping for some kind of GPS device. There's no point in buying a cheap one of these as it will get upgraded quick enough. There are plenty of gps tracking apps on a smartphone which will combine with the basic computer for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'd spend the extra few € and buy a Garmin 25 @ €127 from Wiggle (I'm sure you could get one cheaper if you wanted to shop around!)
    Way superior to anything without GPS IMHO!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-25-gps-cycle-computer/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Garmin 25 here too, it does live tracking so can keep an eye on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

TENHNY wrote: »
    Hi

The other half has taking up cycling and i would like to get him a gift of
    one them things for tracking your miles
    and speed etc, the budget is <100

any suggestions

Thanks in Advance

Sher what more does he need, hasn't he got you already ?

Garmin 820 and a power meter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

as others have said, get him a Garmin Edge 25 (or 520). Just make you you get cadence and heart monitor options.

My preference is to try find the old original Garmin Edge 500 (with Cadence / HM).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Darando

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/tomtom-multi-sport-gps-watch-and-hrm-760216?colcode=76021602

Have one and it works perfectly for running/cycling etc..connects to Strava if needed. 1 point to note is to do a factory reset/upgrade once you get it make the cadence work properly.

Advertisement