Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone insurance question

Options
  • 28-07-2016 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this isnt the right forum, mods please move if I've gotten it wrong.

Anyhow, long story short. I have an iPhone 5s on the Three Network which is out of contract. I also have the insurance that Three sell, Pier Insurance. From bitter experience, I know that Three won't touch any insurance issues, even though I'm sure they make money selling it.

My issue is this. Lately my phone has been acting up. Its like sometimes the touch screen just doesnt work, of if I'm scrolling down (ie on Instagram) it just suddenly scrolls straight back to the top, and then freezes. Sometimes this happens after about 30 seconds, sometimes it takes a few mins. I've updates all my apps, updated to the latest iOS, and then wiped the phone and backed it up again - same issues. I've also deleted any unused apps and much of my photos and music incase it was an issue to do with memory.

Last year, my phone fell down a toilet, completely dead, so I sent it off for repair. It couldnt be repaired, so they replaced it with what I can only assume was a reconditioned phone.

The closest thing i can find on their website FAQs is "what happens if your phone stops working", to which the answer is " Contact our team of professional Customer Care Representatives or complete the Customer Self Service claim form online and we will advise you from there as to the next step dependent if the issue falls within your Terms & Conditions. If your handset has simply stopped working you should contact the Manufacturer as the issue is highly likely to be within your warranty you have with them."

So - I don't have the phone that Three sold me, I have the reconditioned phone that Pier gave me. I can only imagine that they'll try to push me back on Apple, but will they help since I didn't by the phone, and effectively have a 2nd hand phone?

Its not completely unusable, but it is v.annoying. I want to buy the next I phone when it comes out later this year, but last time Pier had my phone, they took it for over a week and they don't give you a replacement in the mean time.

Goes without saying but I won't be buying phone insurance again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

What makes you think it was reconditioned? Even if it was it doesn't matter it should still be fit for purpose and a few months isn't long enough.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the warranty re-starts when you get a new handset though it's been a while since I worked with phones. Call tomorrow and check though.
    Either way you should get it repaired.

Unfortunately the delay is the same with every company, they need time to see what's wrong and fix it and there's just not enough loan handsets around for everyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What makes you think it was reconditioned? Even if it was it doesn't matter it should still be fit for purpose and a few months isn't long enough.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the warranty re-starts when you get a new handset though it's been a while since I worked with phones. Call tomorrow and check though.
    Either way you should get it repaired.

Unfortunately the delay is the same with every company, they need time to see what's wrong and fix it and there's just not enough loan handsets around for everyone.

Warranty doesn't re-start. It is from the original date of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

whiterebel wrote: »
    Warranty doesn't re-start. It is from the original date of purchase.

Fair enough, as i said I wasn't sure. It's not relevant anyway as a replacement should last longer than it seems to have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Thanks all.

The reason I say its a refurbished phone is that thats what most insurance companies provide and also it says the following on their website. I know they werent able to repair my origional phone (IMEI's different).

"All replacement handsets will either be brand new or refreshed ones - in the case of refreshed handsets the quality is so high you will not be able to tell if it's new or not they are that good and they also come with a warranty.Please note that refreshed handsets may hold some non-original parts although standards are extremely high."

I guess I was just hoping to find out if anyone else had had difficulty with a replacement phone before and if my comeback should be from Pier or from Apple?

Advertisement