Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2wks to sprint tri

Options
  • 28-07-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I'm 2 weeks out from first sprint triathlon of 2016. Haven't done any specific tri training.
    Any advice on what to focus on/train sessions for next 2wks?

Some background, former competitive open water summer, lack of swim training recently but reckon should be just over 10mins. Do A4 bike racing, 28.30 best for 20km TT. Run not my strongest, 5km just over 20mins.

Goal for this tri is to race it and go as hard as possible but I know the run will be my weak leg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Sounds like you should do great looking at your background. I would say to tri and get some brick sessions in and get used to running off the bike. Get some openwater sessions in again to remind yourself and get used to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

You'll probably win it.
    Agree with practice running off the bike, even a short distance. Also practice getting the wetsuit off quickly, what you plan on doing in transition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Practice getting up onto a podium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The temptation will be there to bike strong and then hang on in the run because your a stronger biker than runner. Try and find the balance. You say your a 20 min 5k runner, but if you bike the 20km in 29 mins what would be your run time compared to if you took 30 mins for the bike? For me I've found that the run is where the places are decided. Try and save something for it, hanging in doesn't always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What race is it? Results will give you an indication if you're racing or making up the numbers.

You're not going to achieve/change a whole lot with only 2 weeks to go.

As others have said go for a run off the bike neither need to be long just long enough on the bike to get the heart rate up and then jump off and go for a 1km run.

Former competitive open water swimmer? Have you much experience stripping from a wet suit quickly? Perhaps practice T1 in the backgarden or if you plan on any OW swims between now and then on the river bank/beach.

As mentioned it might be an idea not to work to your strengths if that makes sense. Don't try and win the swim section start at the front and find someone to draft off of. The bike could be the making and breaking though depending on what the field is like trying to keep up a fast tempo with one of the faster lads might kill the run legs but letting him go might mean you don't end up catching him on the run.

As it's your first tri I'd take the swim handy then go all out for the rest of it. Worst case scenario you have a good swim/strong bike and blow up on the run. Either way lessons will be learned.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You'll probably win it Oran ;)

What race is it anyway? Have you done much running off the bike as the lads have said?

Best of luck anyway, it's time some more swimmers started getting into tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Racing Fermoy. My 20km TT time was full gas so I'll need to hold back to leave something in the legs. Just noticed the run is actually 6km, for me this is my weaker leg.

Good advise on brick sessions, I'll get a few in this and next week
    I'm used to taking off wetsuit, just need to practice jumping on bike with shoes already clipped on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

okane1 wrote: »
    Racing Fermoy. My 20km TT time was full gas so I'll need to hold back to leave something in the legs. Just noticed the run is actually 6km, for me this is my weaker leg.

I'm used to taking off wetsuit, just need to practice jumping on bike with shoes already clipped on
    if your not comfortable jumping on the bike with the shoes already attached it's not necessary, it can sometimes slow you down even.

If Froome can run up a mountain in cleats you can run from transition :pac:

Especially if you have road shoes rather than tri shows, road shoes are much harder to do this in and also the straps are the wrong way around so likely to get stuck in the chain and gears. The tongue also gets in the way of there is one

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

okane1 wrote: »

The 6km at fermoy is an out and back with a gradual uphill all the way out. I did the aquathlon there a few weeks ago and I found it hard to get into a rhythm. Mind you once you hit the turnaround point it 100% all the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Race done and dusted. Training didn't go to plan, crash on the bike meant I only got 2 short brick sessions in and no OW training.
    None the less I didn't let that play with my head today.

Started swim on the front and jumped onto 2nd place legs. It was a fast pace and after 300m let the leg go and few swam around me. Came in in 8th place. Transition fine however running 400m (approx) distance in bike shoes ain't the best!
    Was past by two at this stage but got passed one on the bike but was overtaken by one. Tried to kept HR down and mind the legs for run. Came in 10th place. Couldn't get my feet out of the bike shoes, leading to more running in the bike shoes - passed by a few...

Took a tumble in transition when cornering the bike - had a laugh at myself!!
    Run was the run, stick it in gear and work through it. Passed by a few and I did no passing! Bit of cramping with 1km to go, just worked through it.

Overall finished in 20th place and 6th in my AG.
    Job done, beer time now!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement