Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horgan's Quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

mire wrote: »
    about three. not that many really.

this is the only one i'd consider to be real. the last one by manor park homes was half baked, incomplete and was not a serious planning application. imo, this one is likely to be developed.

Agree with this. I know it might sound a bit far fetched but I guarantee a party who is not fully committed wouldn't go to the trouble of paying for detailed plans, a website, and new branded hoarding on the actual site if they werent serious. I just wish we had a high rise on the waterfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just on the apartments, I did laugh at the price of themcirca €1500 a month but I suppose thats the cost of city centre living.

If they price it too high it could go the way of the Elysian where occupancy, at one stage was meant to be about only 33%, I imagine that figure has climbed a bit but if it was over 50% at this stage I'd be shocked.

€1500 per month for apartments between Patrick street and the college has been exceeded in the newer developments since last year
    Also up around Dennehy Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

soundsham wrote: »
    €1500 per month for apartments between Patrick street and the college has been exceeded in the newer developments since last year
    Also up around Dennehy Cross

I asked 2 mates living in the tower in the Elysian and theyve informed me theyre paying €1600 a month. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I asked 2 mates living in the tower in the Elysian and theyve informed me theyre paying €1600 a month. :o

My newly acquired mortgage is less than half of that, sweet jesus how are people affording that. What are they CEO's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    My newly acquired mortgage is less than half of that, sweet jesus how are people affording that. What are they CEO's?

No, not at all, I think theyre both on circa 30-35k in their jobs.

Few other mates have said the same, their mortgages are a half or 1/3 cheaper.

I think the most difficult thing paying that kind of rent would be saving for your own future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

No, not at all, I think theyre both on circa 30-35k in their jobs.

Few other mates have said the same, their mortgages are a half or 1/3 cheaper.

I think the most difficult thing paying that kind of rent would be saving for your own future.

€1600 rents are common for 2016 in quite a few spots and many have waiting lists

Keep adding 4% per annum and see where you are when Horgans quay is developed

I know it's off the point but people sleeping in cars to ensure that they get a house in a new development is happening in Cork ...
    Sad days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Thats one of the penthouses that isnt even in the tower either. :pac:

Although I think they were bought back when it first opened for a pretty penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I've heard a lot of people are 'doubling up' - two couples moving into two-bedroom apartments so the rent is split 4 ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Another picture I like from the website

homelocation1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

As it's CIE, it's a shame it doesn't have a more integrated transport element to include the bus station. I presume it's being designed to incorporate a future rapid transit corridor, or is that too much to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I have to say I really don't like design. It's a matter of personal taste but it looks very blocky and unadventurous and definitely anything but statement making.

It reminds me of the old tax office that's being taken down at Crosses Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thats one of the penthouses that isnt even in the tower either. :pac:

Although I think they were bought back when it first opened for a pretty penny.

The ones not in the tower have outdoor gardens / patios (one each side, internal to the waterfall and external to the street) and 2 or three floors, plus parking reserved, they go for way more than the tower with zero outside space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

€800 each a month is absolutely standard for accommodation in a decent location.I know people on entry level salaries paying €850 for a bedroom in a rundown house in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

flaneur wrote: »
    Cork City Centre really transformed very rapidly since the mid 2000s. I think the European City of Culture designation roughly marked the turning point.

Cork has a really nice setting and a huge amount of potential. It's a very pleasant city to actually live in. I'm just hoping that it gets the densities and scale to really take off.

I agree though the transformation of the city centre has been quite remarkable.

Counted 10 empty units on Pana alone the last night, that shouldn't be the case if we're back in a so-called boom. The upper floors on many places appear to be dusty storage areas/dumping grounds. If this was Continental Europe there would be living spaces up there, but this being Ireland.... :rolleyes:

We're accommodating all these high flyers with money to burn and I see (rather ugly) student apartments are going up shortly. Where are all the lower wage earners; the waiting staff, the bartenders, the cooks, the baristas, the cleaners etc etc to service all the hotels, restaurants and the Benny McCabes who pay min wage, the junior office workers, junior Civil service and hospital staff working their way up, artists, the musicians that play live music full time...where are all of those people supposed to live? By by 'live', live affordably? With their mammies and daddies, house share in some flea pit and eat tins of beans? Or pack them into 40' containers with bunk beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Looks impressive when all the new developments are listed together.

A City Rising is a Beautiful Thing.

new_developments.jpg

We can probably scrap the Event Centre from the list at this stage. :o

Embarrassingly prominent in their back-slapping 'Development Trail' map.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

not so sure about that tbh.

• Advertisement

mire wrote: »
    not so sure about that tbh.

Era it was more tongue in cheek but the way the time line has gone on so far, I wouldnt hold my breath having one built in the next 5 years or so, I'd love to be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

More details:
    HQ Developments will build a new urban quarter on a six-acre site at Horgan’s Quay. The city-centre site adjoins Kent Railway Station and has a 160m frontage onto the River Lee.The team proposes a €160m (£141m) mixed-use waterfront development comprising eight new buildings, the restoration of existing buildings and the design of new public-realm space. At peak construction time there will be 450 workers on site. Plans were lodged this week; subject to planning permission it is expected that work on the site will start in 2018.Three office blocks with a gross area of 37,000m2 providing space for up to 5,000 employees are among the key elements of the proposed Horgan’s Quay development. The blocks will be six to eight storeys high and constructed on a phased basis for ease of delivery.There will also be 237 apartments with an area of about 22,000m2 across four blocks to be built for the private rental market.A 136-bed hotel with a rooftop restaurant will stand on the north-west corner of the site and the JV is also proposing about 2,900m2 of ancillary restaurant and retail accommodation to service the new city enclave. There will also be a crèche included in the development.A focal point of the development will be the restoration of three significant industrial conservation buildings, the Station House, the Carriage Shed and the former Goods Shed.  This development aims to make Kent Railway Station more accessible to the City Centre and the river and will bridge MacCurtain Street with Kent Station. Provision has been made for more than 5,000m2 of public realm space. The Southern Plaza will open onto the River Lee facilitating pedestrian routes through the site to the new train station entrance and new steps will be provided up to the Lower Glanmire RoadThe Horgan’s Quay site is owned by CIÉ and the agreement for its development is based on a structured income sharing finance deal whereby the developer will obtain a 300-year ground lease in return for the higher of an annual rent or alternatively 10% of the market rent from the new buildings.BAM Ireland CEO Theo Cullinane said: “In addition to opening up an old industrial area of the city to habitable and public friendly space and enhancing the River Lee as a public amenity, this investment is creating much needed residential and office space and, indeed, jobs for Cork. I hope that this development will be a catalyst for additional much needed investment in this quarter of our City.”The design team for the project includes Wilson Architecture, Reddy Architecture & Urbanism, Aecom and O'Mahony Pike Architects, the overall master-planner for the entire scheme. The engineers are Arup, Murphy Matson O' Sullivan Consulting Engineers and EDC. The conservation architect is John Coughlan Architects.
    http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/bam-team-unveils-plans-for-160m-cork-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like it's getting the go-ahead on Friday.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

^
    Christ, thats ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

^
    Christ, thats ugly.

Better than it looks now though.

Yes but why can't things look nice anymore?

Brutalism or a glass box or a bit of both seems to be the norm now. I don't see why it has to be a stark choice between a fugly yoke and a derelict site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

^
    Christ, thats ugly.

Agreed. I think a number of the new building look nice, but that just looks bizarre really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

It looks awful in that photo but the whole site looks much better in the video on the website.

http://www.hqcork.ie/

Anything is better than what's currently occupying that whole plot of land, mind.

It's great to see this finally get the go ahead. Between this, the Albert's Quay development across the river and the potential redevelopment at the port of cork site that section of the city will look amazing in a few years and be completely rejuvenated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

^
    Christ, thats ugly.

It's not the most ambitious design and won't age well either but anything would be better than what's there now. It might not look so bad either with navigation house across the river and the 40 storey in the middle. Maybe it won't be as noticeable. It looks like a lot of the stuff being built in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It looks awful in that photo but the whole site looks much better in the video on the website.

http://www.hqcork.ie/

Anything is better than what's currently occupying that whole plot of land, mind.

It's great to see this finally get the go ahead. Between this, the Albert's Quay development across the river and the potential redevelopment at the port of cork site that section of the city will look amazing in a few years and be completely rejuvenated.

Surely be to god we're not going for the post modern Orwellian look. Theres no excuse for ugliness.
    Alberts quay is nice though. Soft and modern.
    Thats harsh and cold.

The new bridge in front/back of the quad to western road is another desperate design. Completely unsympathetic to the building behind.

Advertisement