Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horgan's Quay

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Will the road and the new entrance to Kent station have to be altered again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

zetalambda wrote: »
    It's not the most ambitious design and won't age well either but anything would be better than what's there now. It might not look so bad either with navigation house across the river and the 40 storey in the middle. Maybe it won't be as noticeable. It looks like a lot of the stuff being built in Dublin.

Yeah, maybe if everything else looked like sh1t it wouldn't stick out so much.

The 'it's better than a derelict site' is the usual means of shutting down discussion on how something looks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The original designs for the area looked much better. Involved new road setup for the train station with a drop off area.

Will be interesting to see how all of Horgan’s Quay will progress. The original design was to bring the entire road in from the quayside. Both sides of the road would then be developed with a the quayside being a public amenity.

Anyone have a copy of this old design. It was contained in Cork Corp’s grand plans for the docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Found it

206fc59ab2bf470c030cfccb17b6625f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

zetalambda wrote: »
    It's not the most ambitious design and won't age well either but anything would be better than what's there now. It might not look so bad either with navigation house across the river and the 40 storey in the middle. Maybe it won't be as noticeable. It looks like a lot of the stuff being built in Dublin.

The 'it's better than a derelict site' is the usual means of shutting down discussion on how something looks here.
    Bit of an over reaction, looks like standard office space to me. I think Cork people go way overboard criticizing anything new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

You totally misinterpreted what i said. I'm was insinuating that the other developments close by look to be of a much higher quality design and may enhance the appearance of HQ. Don't for one moment think i'm trying to shutter anyone's opinion. I'm just giving my own! So you disagree that what's being built there is better than the current ruins? Please enlighten us. Maybe you'd like to see the Taj Mahal or something built there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The original designs for the area looked much better. Involved new road setup for the train station with a drop off area.

Will be interesting to see how all of Horgan’s Quay will progress. The original design was to bring the entire road in from the quayside. Both sides of the road would then be developed with a the quayside being a public amenity.

Anyone have a copy of this old design. It was contained in Cork Corp’s grand plans for the docklands.

We won't know what the Council's intention for the docks is until the new docks local area plans are published in the summer. It'll cover north and south docks as well as Tivoli docks. Road layout is going to be part of that.

I think the development looks decent

HQ_Home3.jpg

homelocation1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Apogee

MORE than 200 apartments and office space for 5,000 people is set to go ahead after Cork City Council approved planning for a €160 million scheme at Horgan's Quay.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Go-ahead-for-major-Docklands-redevelopment-6b4397d9-cf95-4bfb-aa15-41fd67cfd01c-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Great news, 400,000 sq ft office, 237 apartments, 136 bedroom hotel, very impressive.

HQ_Home2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think between this, the Albert Quay development and the potential new skyscarper, that side of the city is going to be pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think it looks great, will be good to have some new developments on the north side of the lee!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This really is a fantastic development, and one of many coming along in Cork.

The proximity to the rail line is a huge winner here. Ideal for those coming from Mallow, and it surely means that the additional commuter stations on the Mallow line have to be reconsidered, along with an M20 P&R when the time comes.

The foresight of reopening the Midleton line is massive also now with rail access to Little Island, Glounthane, Cobh, Midleton and Carrigtwohill.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

marno21 wrote: »
    This really is a fantastic development, and one of many coming along in Cork.

The proximity to the rail line is a huge winner here. Ideal for those coming from Mallow, and it surely means that the additional commuter stations on the Mallow line have to be reconsidered, along with an M20 P&R when the time comes.

The foresight of reopening the Midleton line is massive also now with rail access to Little Island, Glounthane, Cobh, Midleton and Carrigtwohill.

Have you details of additional commuter trains from Mallow? I personally would love one that stops in the IDA in Carrigtwohill. I really don't know why there is not one there already. Thousands of people work in that IDA. I'm sure a train station would help alleviate traffic.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Have you details of additional commuter trains from Mallow? I personally would love one that stops in the IDA in Carrigtwohill. I really don't know why there is not one there already. Thousands of people work in that IDA. I'm sure a train station would help alleviate traffic.

There are plans for new stations at Blarney, Monard and Kilbarry/Blackpool. Still a good way off - post M20 being built anyway. There was also a station to be built at the IDA/Fota Retail Park in Carrigtwohill but financial crisis/lack of money knocked that on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There are plans for new stations at Blarney, Monard and Kilbarry/Blackpool. Still a good way off - post M20 being built anyway. There was also a station to be built at the IDA/Fota Retail Park in Carrigtwohill but financial crisis/lack of money knocked that on the head.

The cost of getting the line back up and running from Glounthaune to Midleton was €90 million and the fact they left out that platform in the IDA estate is criminal.Surely this is critical infrastructure.I saw an article a few years ago that estimated it would cost around €2 million.You would think between the Council,the IDA and Irish Rail they could sort it out.

The cost of getting the line back up and running from Glounthaune to Midleton was €90 million and the fact they left out that platform in the IDA estate is criminal.Surely this is critical infrastructure.I saw an article a few years ago that estimated it would cost around €2 million.You would think between the Council,the IDA and Irish Rail they could sort it out.

The IDA were going to contribute to the station but they backed out due to the financial downturn. Seems to have died a death at this point. One thing that would have to happen to make it viable would be increased frequency. Industrial estates don't have everyone on a 9-5 and Carrigtwohill is served by 1 train per hour most of the day. Not nearly enough if you want people to genuinely change from cars to public transport.

Advertisement