Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yanks abandon EVs and BEVs for gas guzzlers

• 28-07-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Due to dropping gas prices they are running back to gas guzzling SUVs and Pickups.

http://nyti.ms/292917b

Will the same happen here?

Comments

Americans are always changing when fuel prices go up and down, this is nothing new. The funny thing is that we pay over twice what they do in the U.S for fuel yet EV sales are laughable. If the tables were turned and ICE sales would die in the U.S.

The same won't happen here because EV sales are pathetic anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Americans are always changing when fuel prices go up and down, this is nothing new. The funny thing is that we pay over twice what they do in the U.S for fuel yet EV sales are laughable. If the tables were turned and ICE sales would die in the U.S.

The same won't happen here because EV sales are pathetic anyway.

Because on average we don't commute as much as Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

RedorDead wrote: »
    Due to dropping gas prices they are running back to gas guzzling SUVs and Pickups.

http://nyti.ms/292917b

Will the same happen here?

Not a hope in hell. They'll just raise the prices to keep them up. Like always. Oil is back down to $35 but ir was touching $48 a while back - despite the tanker traffic jams... - And I was looking at over €1.30 everywhere.
    €1.27 yesterday. On $35 oil.....

Don't worry our govt will make damn sure we'll never stray too far below 'ten dollar gas'.
    It's probably killing them right now that it's under the equivalent of $8 :rolleyes:

grogi wrote: »

Really ? I doubt that now, I'd say if you average it up you'd be surprised how far we commute.

I'd say it's far more to do with the size of the vehicles Americans demand to drive and the engine size and being mostly Petrol.

Really ? I doubt that now, I'd say if you average it up you'd be surprised how far we commute.

I'd say it's far more to do with the size of the vehicles Americans demand to drive and the engine size and being mostly Petrol.

You're right - we are comuting more now... :|

• Advertisement

Americans want big and power, we can't afford it because we are screwed with tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

we commute more , we have an annual 14,000Km for diesel owners whilst the average American is 13800 Km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

New car sales are up in Ireland 20% compared to last year. EV sales are down 20%

I find that pretty shocking. Did not see that coming, especially with the current good deals on the Leaf, the big subsidy, the free electricity and the free home install (some or most of these are no doubt ending at some point)

I've no figures for PHEV, although surely they must have gone up. BMW 330e for the same money as a 318d is a no brainer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

unkel wrote: »
    New car sales are up in Ireland 20% compared to last year. EV sales are down 20%

I find that pretty shocking. Did not see that coming, especially with the current good deals on the Leaf, the big subsidy, the free electricity and the free home install (some or most of these are no doubt ending at some point)

I've no figures for PHEV, although surely they must have gone up. BMW 330e for the same money as a 318d is a no brainer!

Conservative country that doesn't look into facts and figures and instead makes knee jerk decisions.
    When they tax the feck out of diesel or maybe allow EVs into a bus lane then everyone down the pub will be discussing changing over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

s.welstead wrote: »
    Conservative country that doesn't look into facts and figures and instead makes knee jerk decisions.
    When they tax the feck out of diesel or maybe allow EVs into a bus lane then everyone down the pub will be discussing changing over.

Why should EVs be allowed in bus lanes? They are still private cars with usually 1 person in it. Bus lanes are for buses, bicycles and taxis (which completely abuse them) not private cars which pump their pollution out of a power station exhaust not their own.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why should EVs be allowed in bus lanes? They are still private cars with usually 1 person in it. Bus lanes are for buses, bicycles and taxis (which completely abuse them) not private cars which pump their pollution out of a power station exhaust not their own.

Without incentives the demand for EV will not reach levels that guarantees effect of scale.

It is all about long-term strategy - if we want to have much more EV years from now, we need to subside EV in various ways, so the production and research of them does not mean loosing too much money. Allowing them in bus lanes is one of such, non-monetary, subsidies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

BoatMad wrote: »
    we commute more , we have an annual 14,000Km for diesel owners whilst the average American is 13800 Km

Accordingly to the last census and the Washington post. Irish commuters travel on average 17kms. Americans commuters travel 24.5 miles. Americans win or is that lose.

In any case both distances are well within EV ranges.

I think eV sales in Ireland have dropped this year while the car market overall has grown 20+%. Why? I don't know. But I do think that evs have probably not got passed the early adopter demographic. As such the market is much smaller and less likely to grow with an up turn in economic prosperity and access to PCP.

I would love an EV tested a leaf 3 years ago. But they don't make sense for me just yet. I 2/3 times a month trip in excess of 200 miles. I also have two large dogs so currently drive an larhe enough diesel estate. I hate that diesel grumble. Previously I had a mk2 prius for 4 years. I miss it in ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

The drop in EV sales in the US and Ireland is in large part due to a lot of people delaying their purchase to late 2016 early 2017 to get the much longer range models.

We have a new facelifted Leaf hitting production in December with 250-300km of real world range.
    New 400km range Chevy Bolt (Opel Ampera-e) went into production this week.
    New eGolf and eUp just out but a battery upgrade due in the next three to four months.
    New Renault Zoe R400 (400km NEDC, 300km real world range) due to be unveiled at the Paris motor show starting Oct 1st
    Tesla Model 3 due in the US the end of next year and RHD markets in H1 2018, lots of existing EV owners have deposits down.
    New Jaguar E-Pace SUV due next year.

Because the market is currently composed of a small number of relatively well-informed people, the expectation of new models coming down the road causes a huge number of people to delay their purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Del2005 wrote: »

Ah... that ould chestnut! :rolleyes:

btw, I dont agree with bus lane use either for EV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I was to replace my LEAF with newer one, but Nissan gave me terrible trade-in value. In the end it was cheaper to go with diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cros13 wrote: »
    The drop in EV sales in the US and Ireland is in large part due to a lot of people delaying their purchase to late 2016 early 2017 to get the much longer range models.

Maybe that's what it is. The trendsetters and early adopters have an EV already (not caring much about some severe limitations such as range)

For the next group (more mainstream) to start buying EV, there just must be fewer limitations (and / or even more benefits) to take the plunge?

Maybe that's what it is. The trendsetters and early adopters have an EV already (not caring much about some severe limitations such as range)

For the next group (more mainstream) to start buying EV, there just must be fewer limitations (and / or even more benefits) to take the plunge?

Even those who have an EV already and might be looking to purchase another or purchase for another family member are holding off.

Hell, so am I. I have a Model 3 deposit down and I'm considering selling up and going for a 2 year lease on one of the new models while I wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've seen many PHEV owners in the US recently saying they're no longer charging their cars because the petrol is so cheap there - and I think lecky is more expensive than here on average (though it varies significantly between states). I think I worked out running the ICE in my Prius PHV costs about 3 times as much as running in EV mode, assuming 9c/kWh night rates.

We have a new facelifted Leaf hitting production in December with 250-300km of real world range.
    New 400km range Chevy Bolt (Opel Ampera-e) went into production this week.
    New eGolf and eUp just out but a battery upgrade due in the next three to four months.
    New Renault Zoe R400 (400km NEDC, 300km real world range) due to be unveiled at the Paris motor show starting Oct 1st
    Tesla Model 3 due in the US the end of next year and RHD markets in H1 2018, lots of existing EV owners have deposits down.
    New Jaguar E-Pace SUV due next year.

Because the market is currently composed of a small number of relatively well-informed people, the expectation of new models coming down the road causes a huge number of people to delay their purchase.

Yes I agree that people are waiting for more range that is literally , just around the corner.

However the "rumoured" 40 Kwh Leaf and Zoe won't offer 300 Kms range but between 200-230 kms in real life driving but that's still leaps and bounds better than the current 120-140 kms range electrics.

Opel are not importing the GM Bolt to Ireland, perhaps they may change their mind on this. They probably don't want to make the investment into retooling the workshop, retraining etc. It cost Nissan about 150,000 Euro's. Either way for the foreseeable future there'll be no 200 mile 200 HP Bolt in Ireland. Truth be told Opel Ireland will deem it far too powerful for Irish people to handle lol. (Irish people are not used to such power)

Perhaps they will sell a 80-100 Hp instead lol only joking.

It's time now also that car makers make estates and SUV's and not just small hatchbacks. The Leaf is too small for us really. Luckily we have the Estate C'eed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

• Advertisement

Opel are not importing the GM Bolt to Ireland, perhaps they may change their mind on this. They probably don't want to make the investment into retooling the workshop, retraining etc. It cost Nissan about 150,000 Euro's. Either way for the foreseeable future there'll be no 200 mile 200 HP Bolt in Ireland. Truth be told Opel Ireland will deem it far too powerful for Irish people to handle lol. (Irish people are not used to such power)

With Chevrolet Bolt it is be the supply, not the demand, that will limit the sales. There is absolutely no need for GM to invest into bringing it to Ireland, they will sell whatever they produce anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume those figures are just for new car sales from Irish dealers?

Because I'm seeing a massive numbers of seemingly second hand Nissan Leafs pop up all around me over the last few months.

Which all makes sense, second hand Leafs from the UK are going very cheaply at the moment and make for a great second "city" car for 2 car families.

A brand new Nissan Leaf doesn't currently make any sense. Costs twice as much as a second hand one while offering only slightly more range, while still not enough range for a one car family. All the while most people know that 200 mile Leafs are likely to arrive in the next 12 months.

The Leaf is pretty much the only affordable EV available in Ireland.

I think if Opel sold the Volt/Ampera here it would be very popular. Enough electric range for day to day commuting while still have ICE range for the odd long distance trip. You only have to look at the popularity of the Prius in Ireland to see the thirst that the Irish have for fuel efficient cars.

Absolutely true. The innovation adoption cycle is made up of 5 types of people. Innovators, early adopters, early majority, late majority and laggards.

Electric cars are actually still in the innovators stage, which makes up the first 2.5% of consumers. These are people who are very much forward thinkers and visionaries and are willing to put up with lots of limitations and bugs in new technology to experience the future first.

Early adaptors are also visionaries and also willing to put up with some bugs and limitations, but are generally a bit more conservative then the innovators. They will often be just as aware of the new technology, but are just less likely to gamble their money on new tech. They will wait until they see things have settled down at least a little before investing.

I'm very much an early adaptor. I remember watching the Apple event where Steve Jobs announced the first iPhone and thinking, wow at last, here is the smart phone I've been dreaming of for years! However I didn't buy it knowing that the first one would be too much Alpha technology and buggy (which it was), but I jumped straight in on the iPhone 3G. Not that it didn't continue to get better, it did, but at least they had worked out the worst bugs and it was "good enough" to give it a go.

Well I'm now the same with EV's. I'm convinced they are the future of automobiles, just like the iPhone was, but I also think they are currently still too compromised to lay a massive amount of money down on one. Once an affordable 200mile EV hits, I think I'll jump onboard then as it will have hit the "good enough" point. Not that they won't continue to get better, but it will have enough performance to meet my needs.

I think all the EV innovators have already bought their EV's and all the EV early adaptors like me are waiting for affordable 200 mile EV's (or decent PHEV options).

With Chevrolet Bolt it is be the supply, not the demand, that will limit the sales. There is absolutely no need for GM to invest into bringing it to Ireland, they will sell whatever they produce anyway.

Yes, initially , sales will be limited to GM's car sharing company, can't remember the company.

It's not about GM selling the Bolt in Ireland, it's about whether Opel Ireland want to sell it and Opel's current stand is that they will not import it, at least that's what their main HQ e-mailed me. I think that e-mail actually came from somewhere in Germany.

Yes, initially , sales will be limited to GM's car sharing company, can't remember the company.

Lyft?

Lyft?

Sounds right, not 100% sure.

650Ginge wrote: »
    Accordingly to the last census and the Washington post. Irish commuters travel on average 17kms. Americans commuters travel 24.5 miles. Americans win or is that lose.

In any case both distances are well within EV ranges.

I think eV sales in Ireland have dropped this year while the car market overall has grown 20+%. Why? I don't know. But I do think that evs have probably not got passed the early adopter demographic. As such the market is much smaller and less likely to grow with an up turn in economic prosperity and access to PCP.

I would love an EV tested a leaf 3 years ago. But they don't make sense for me just yet. I 2/3 times a month trip in excess of 200 miles. I also have two large dogs so currently drive an larhe enough diesel estate. I hate that diesel grumble. Previously I had a mk2 prius for 4 years. I miss it in ways.

You have to look at annual mileage figures, rather then average drive length. In ireland we have a large proportion of drivers that covers very long distances, in comparison to a largely urbanised US society. The result is that diesel driver in ireland ( which make up 70% of the sales ) drive more then their American counterparts in gas cars ( petrol cars mileage here are slightly less then US equivalent )

It's not about GM selling the Bolt in Ireland, it's about whether Opel Ireland want to sell it and Opel's current stand is that they will not import it, at least that's what their main HQ e-mailed me. I think that e-mail actually came from somewhere in Germany.

There is no RHD version planned, that why Open wont import it

BoatMad wrote: »
    There is no RHD version planned, that why Open wont import it

They didn't know that at the time, they just said, they had no plans to add the Ampera-E to the Irish fleet.

September1 wrote: »
    I was to replace my LEAF with newer one, but Nissan gave me terrible trade-in value. In the end it was cheaper to go with diesel.

any details , of the trade in , condition of your leaf etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement