Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carolina Reaper chillies in Tesco

Options
  • 28-07-2016 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Bought a couple of these today and OMG they are the real deal. I can take a spicy curry and add chillies to most of my cooking. But I made a curry today and added a full one of these to it, I was only able to eat two spoonful's before I was in agony and had to give up.

Beware, I think they are 1.5-2 million units from what the Interweb says!

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Do you mind me asking what Tesco? Haven't seen them in either of my local tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Got them in Mahon point, they come in a packet of two. You need to look at the variety on the packet they are labelled British Komodo Dragon chillies but the variety is Carolina Reaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Got them in Mahon point, they come in a packet of two. You need to look at the variety on the packet they are labelled British Komodo Dragon chillies but the variety is Carolina Reaper.

Have you ever seen the Youtube vids of people eating these?
    In particular, "Kill em FTW", "Wreckless Eating" and the "LA Beast"?

looked at one or two alright you would have to be a right idiot to eat them raw:eek:

Last night was the first time i actually screamed with the pain:o after my couple of spoonfuls of curry. I had been sampling as I went along just having a small taste and it stung alot but but nothing a glass of milk couldn't sort out but it was a whole different story when i actually took a couple of full spoons of it. My missus had to put her mouth under the cold water tap for for 5-10 mins.

Give them a go you wont regret it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what Tesco? Haven't seen them in either of my local tescos.

Seen them in Tesco Tallaght and Naas (Extra) earlier, so I'd assume all the larger stores have them.

• Advertisement

I picked some up. Not sure what to make yet I'm too excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

I picked some up. Not sure what to make yet I'm too excited :D

Picked up in Tesco Wexford this morning. I'm was a fairly seasoned hot curry eater until I moved to more flavoursome dishes with less intense heat. However from time to time I like something that burns. I'd normally use the Naga Ghost Chilli for something hot.

Now the Reaper...
    I sliced off a small piece of the end and ate it-I said to herself if thats the worlds hottest chilli there is something wrong with me as a pepper would be hotter. So I cut off a slightly bigger slice and tried again.

I ended up spitting it out and almost getting sick. Tongue burning and numb.
    Never in my life felt heat like it.

However, I added 2 of them to a curry and I must say it's lovely. Hot yes, but the heat is evenly spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Makood wrote: »
    Picked up in Tesco Wexford this morning. I'm was a fairly seasoned hot curry eater until I moved to more flavoursome dishes with less intense heat. However from time to time I like something that burns. I'd normally use the Naga Ghost Chilli for something hot.

Now the Reaper...
    I sliced off a small piece of the end and ate it-I said to herself if thats the worlds hottest chilli there is something wrong with me as a pepper would be hotter. So I cut off a slightly bigger slice and tried again.

I ended up spitting it out and almost getting sick. Tongue burning and numb.
    Never in my life felt heat like it.

However, I added 2 of them to a curry and I must say it's lovely. Hot yes, but the heat is evenly spread.

The heat is always more bearable I find when you use the fresh chillies. Use the dried variety and I find the heat hits you much quicker and is far more intense but dissipates quicker.

I made salsa with it and while it was spicy, it wasn't anything exciting. Going to try again using two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I made salsa with it and while it was spicy, it wasn't anything exciting. Going to try again using two of them.

Jesus have you all teflon coated mouths or something? :). I can't handle scotch bonnets!

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    Jesus have you all teflon coated mouths or something? :). I can't handle scotch bonnets!

He does! I got a nice hit of it but nothing that I couldn't handle. I've made the same salsa with 1 or 2 of the red chilis you get in the mixed bag in Tesco that's been spicier.

He does! I got a nice hit of it but nothing that I couldn't handle. I've made the same salsa with 1 or 2 of the red chilis you get in the mixed bag in Tesco that's been spicier.

Ah here! No way the mixed bag chillies are hotter than these fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Ah here! No way the mixed bag chillies are hotter than these fellas.

Yup, unpossible. I gave a taste to 2 other people over the weekend. A lick was enough for one of them. These are seriously hot animals.

I think I got a dud.

I'll get another bag of them.

I think I got a dud.

I'll get another bag of them.

I'll send you on the spare packet I got, once bitten twice shy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ate one of these raw. Honestly thought I was having a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Corvo wrote: »

Fair feckin' play!
    Highly stupid... but fair fair feckin' play! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Corvo wrote: »

Yeah, that's what we had. Stomach was in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Heroditas wrote: »
    Fair feckin' play!
    Highly stupid... but fair fair feckin' play! :)
    iamstop wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what we had. Stomach was in bits.

I was a good 45 mins (and a mate that did it also) just moaning into a cushion.

Not ashamed to say I cried a little too.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Any idea if the Carolina reaper is still available anywhere in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I just found one of these at the bottom of my freezer. It must be there for 2 years, would it still be ok do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yester wrote: »
    I just found one of these at the bottom of my freezer. It must be there for 2 years, would it still be ok do you think?

Yes

Advertisement