Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping firearm in a car

Options
  • 28-07-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

An interesting conversation came up today in work. If I'm working closer to the range than where my house is located. Is it ok to throw the gun in the car in the morning and leave it in a locked car all day while I'm at work and call in to the range on my way home. Some lads are of the opinion there is an expectation from the Garda that firearms should only be carried in cars for the least amount of time as possible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

I'd agree with the gardaí on this one.

Leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle is only asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Luckysasha wrote: »
    An interesting conversation came up today in work. If I'm working closer to the range than where my house is located. Is it ok to throw the gun in the car in the morning and leave it in a locked car all day while I'm at work and call in to the range on my way home. Some lads are of the opinion there is an expectation from the Garda that firearms should only be carried in cars for the least amount of time as possible

IANAL but if you are commuting, your journey starts at home and ends in work. Then picks up again at work as you head off and ends in the range.

If you have the gun in the car, while the car isn't in use you would probably be in breach of the Firearms Secure Storage legislation (whatever it is called) as your journey is over so your gun should be secured as per the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If it was necessary to have your gun in the car while you are not in the car, it should be broken down and separated.

For a rife, removing the bolt and taking it with you would be a good start and leave the rest in the boot.

A shotgun, take the fore-end with you (and retaining bolt if a semi). Put the stock end in the passenger compartment, well covered and the barrel in the boot.

That's more, or less the type of info given at a competency course, but to be fair, it didn't really include your scenario and was more for travelling with your gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Have a look at the conditions on your firearms certificate.

Every single one in my district has one recurring, condition. 'Firearm must never be left in a vehicle unattended'. Not saying that it will be on yours but since I changed districts, its the only condition I have seen on all licenses.

They really don't take a kind view when a Firearm is taken from anywhere, unattended, especially a vehicle.

You would have a fun time explaining why you felt it was ok to do so on the grounds that you were going to save some time for yourself getting to the range later. I'd say, regardless of the precautions, they wouldn't take a very good view of that.

You could ask your local firearms officer though and cover yourself.

Maybe taking out the bolt and using a cable lock through the action and through some fixed points in the boot, might satisfy him?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

amadablam wrote: »
    Have a look at the conditions on your firearms certificate.

Every single one in my district has one recurring, condition. 'Firearm must never be left in a vehicle unattended'. Not saying that it will be on yours but since I changed districts, its the only condition I have seen on all licenses.

They really don't take a kind view when a Firearm is taken from anywhere, unattended, especially a vehicle.

You would have a fun time explaining why you felt it was ok to do so on the grounds that you were going to save some time for yourself getting to the range later. I'd say, regardless of the precautions, they wouldn't take a very good view of that.

You could ask your local firearms officer though and cover yourself.

Maybe taking out the bolt and using a cable lock through the action and through some fixed points in the boot, might satisfy him?

Have to agree with the above answer. Recently had two firearms in for renewal and on both new licenses a condition that firearms should never be left in an unattended vehicle , which was not on original license. As this is being applied in other divisions I believe this is coming from above and will be applied to all licenses on renewal. Personally I would drive home and collect firearm before going to range. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Some lads are of the opinion there is an expectation from the Garda that firearms should only be carried in cars for the least amount of time as possible
    On principal i'd agree. My routine would be home, range, home. If work was in the equation then the guns aren't.
    ezra_ wrote: »
    If you have the gun in the car, while the car isn't in use you would probably be in breach of the Firearms Secure Storage legislation (whatever it is called) as your journey is over so your gun should be secured as per the legislation.
    The secure accommodation order (SI 307/2009) only pertains to storage of the firearms at your home. The Commissioner's Guidelines give guidelines on how they would like firearms transported to and from the field/range (secure box/case, locked car, trigger lock, etc) however i don't know of any legislation to support this, as in make it a legal necessity.

There is law (legislation/condition on your license), common sense (don't leave a loaded gun, uncased on the back seat of an unlocked car) and then what you're comfortable with (do it or don't).

Personally my firearms are never in the car unless i'm in it. I use cases when traveling to and from the range/field. When working the guns stay at home.

You must judge it for yourself and how it pertains to your circumstances.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

i think we can all agree that common sense has to prevail in these circumstances. I did trawl through the commissioners guidelines to see if anything popped out but there is nothing obvious about transporting firearms. So I guess it's up to each individual and their take on it.

From the Commissioner's Guidelines. Recommendations/guidelines on safe storage of firearms when traveling/transporting them:
    • That possession and carriage of any firearm including a short firearm (barrel under 30cm or overall length not exceeding 30cm)/ammunition concealed on the person in public is not permitted at any time, save in circumstances where such possession and carriage on the person is necessary for a lawful purpose.
    • In the case of self loading (semi automatic) pistols and revolvers consideration may be given to a requirement to dismantle each gun when not at the range where it is intended to be used with some necessary parts held at the range.
    • During transport, firearms must always be stored in a case/sleeve, out of sight in a locked vehicle boot. They should not be immediately accessible to the driver or any passenger.
    • No gun should be loaded with ammunition while traveling to or from a shoot.
    • Where possible, rifle bolts and shotgun fore ends, pistol top slides and magazines should be removed and kept separately.
    • That the firearm is never left inside the seating area of a vehicle: whether occupied or unattended.
    • If it is necessary to stop and leave the vehicle, reasonable steps should be taken to ensure the safety of the firearm in question. It is a good idea to also place in the boot anything which might indicate that a firearm may be in the vehicle e.g.hunting clothing, stalking stick, hunting knife, binoculars, decoys, hunting hat etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Sorry I meant to say that there was nothing clear in the commissioners guidelines about leaving the firearms unattended in a car for any length of time. To be more specific it doesn't give a time limit Ie: leaving the firearm unattended in a vehicle for 30 mins or more you must comply with X y or z. The last point in cass reply covers leaving the vehicle but this could be running in to the shop to get milk or parking the car up for 8 hours at the office.

Its vague for many reasons:
    • A specific amount of time may be unnecessarily restrictive
    • No way to actually police it
    • A certain amount of common sense is applied so as not to be overly harsh/restrictive
    • No legislation to base any guidelines off (An Gardaí cannot legislate only enforce so any specifics would be hard to prosecute)
    There are probably more, but you get the idea.

• Advertisement

I agree. I have to say since I started shooting and getting some way familiar with the rules and regulations the common thread seems to be vagueness. The legislation seems to based on trust rather than hard fisted government rules set in stone. I guess the system works so why change it. It's like everything else it will run smoothly the way it is until someone ruins it for everyone else. That's why personally I like to get peoples opinions on topics rather than just ploughing ahead and run the risk of feckin it up by doing something stupid. So thanks one and all for the help and guidance up to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pretty good summary of the law that, to be honest. It's rock-hard and clear-cut in very few places, and in several of those, it's rock-hard, clear-cut wrong and would require people complying with it to break other laws (or at least not be able to be sure they wouldn't). And in most places where questions regularly arise, there is no clear answer at all and it comes down to "ask your local Super", except in some areas where there is literally no answer possible (eg. "Do I need a restricted or an unrestricted licence for this rifle which 50% of gardai think looks like an M-16 and which 50% don't"?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I always keep the rifle bolt in the car, if my gun safe is robbed, less chance it could be used in anyway. But I am now concerned about the legality of this.

You mean you keep it in the car even when at home? That's almost certainly a breach of the licence conditions (because you specified where the firearm would be stored normally and a component of a firearm is itself a firearm under the law so if you split it up and store it in different places, and those places didn't meet the specifications in the SI...)

Sparks wrote: »
    You mean you keep it in the car even when at home? That's almost certainly a breach of the licence conditions (because you specified where the firearm would be stored normally and a component of a firearm is itself a firearm under the law so if you split it up and store it in different places, and those places didn't meet the specifications in the SI...)

yep, thats why I love this forum. I did keep the bolt in the car at all times, reasoning that if I was at work and the rifle was stolen it would be near useless. I have moved the bolt and its now with the rifle.
    So if its stolen the thief has a usable rifle, but at least I am observing the law.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Just keep the bolt in a seperate location at home.

I keep bolts, mags and slide in a seperate safe than the firearms. The second safe was build into the ground so if the find the first safe, they'll never find the second.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Just keep the bolt in a seperate location at home.
    If it's a safe, yes. If it's under your mattress... eh, might not be seen as due diligence if you're ever robbed or get a surprise inspection.

Chiparus wrote: »
    So if its stolen the thief has a usable rifle, but at least I am observing the law.
    :rolleyes:
    Yup. That's the Firearms Act for you. Half the time I'm surprised it's not written in crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I do be sceptical even when I go to shop after hunting and have the gun in the back seat. I was stopped by Garda before who spotted my guns in the back seat. He had me pulled and checked my guns and licence and ended up bringing him out a week later with his own gun on my land for rabbits. Best not to leave em in plain sight is all il say about it.
    Just don't act the bollox an go pub or SOMETHIN

Sparks wrote: »
    Yup. That's the Firearms Act for you. Half the time I'm surprised it's not written in crayon.

So this advice from the AGS is not in compliance with the law?

e.g. keeping part of the gun at the range , or keeping the bolt separate?

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/cp%20info%20sheet%20-firearm%20security%20-%20english.pdf

• Advertisement

Unless the range has met the conditions in the secure storage SI and is listed on your FCA1 as a storage location, that would seem to be the case. But you'd have to go to court to definitively prove it. Given the cost of that, I just wouldn't comply with that portion of that advice in order to be safe (unless the range met the SI's standards and was on my FCA1, that is).

To be fair though, that advice dates from 2009, so it's hardly current. The law's changed a few times since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

I do be sceptical even when I go to shop after hunting and have the gun in the back seat. I was stopped by Garda before who spotted my guns in the back seat. He had me pulled and checked my guns and licence and ended up bringing him out a week later with his own gun on my land for rabbits. Best not to leave em in plain sight is all il say about it.
    Just don't act the bollox an go pub or SOMETHIN

I thought leaving firearms on the back seat at any time was a big no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

So say I have 2 firearms with the 'Firearm must never be left in a vehicle unattended' condition. On the way to the range or shooting competition I need cash and must call into the bank or Post Office. I also may need a drink or sandwich so a stop at the local shop will be needed as well.
    To comply with those conditions do I bring my firearms into the bank, Post Office and shop???
    Must they be in a case???
    Can I just put them over my shoulder with the rifle sling?? (showing a safety flag is in place of course)

It would seem to me that certain conditions cannot be complied with at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Rifle over the shoulder would go down well.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

clivej wrote: »
    So say I have 2 firearms with the 'Firearm must never be left in a vehicle unattended' condition. On the way to the range or shooting competition I need cash and must call into the bank or Post Office. I also may need a drink or sandwich so a stop at the local shop will be needed as well.
    To comply with those conditions do I bring my firearms into the bank, Post Office and shop???
    Must they be in a case???
    Can I just put them over my shoulder with the rifle sling?? (showing a safety flag is in place of course)

It would seem to me that certain conditions cannot be complied with at all times.

If you need to make a short stop on the way to a range I doubt many Gardai would complain too much so long as anything controlled is locked away properly and out of sight. For bonus points, stick the bolt and/or ammo in your bag/pockets and bring them with you so that if the car is broken into while you're away they don't get anything useful.

If you have a specific condition on your license saying that you may never leave your firearms unattended in a car then I'm pretty sure the Garda answer to your questions above would be something like: "Make two trips. First go out and do your shopping. Then go home, pick up your guns and go straight to the range without stopping." If you want to break those conditions for the sake of convenience, well, you'd better hope nothing ever gets stolen or you'll have a very unhappy chat with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Common sense needs to apply here.

If you have your firearm(s) in a car, keep them out of sight, keep all items/accessories that would suggest your have a firearm in the car out of sight. Do not decide at the last minute to move your firearm from your back seat to the boot when you are parked.

There are so many "What if...", needed petrol, needed a piss... whatever... just don't make it easy for someone to identify you as having a firearm, and don't make it easy for them to steal it, simple.

If no one knows you have a firearm in the boot of your car, then they are not going to break into your car looking for a firearm.

If you go to the shopping centre and leave a rifle on the back seat of your car with the window down for 2 hours, then you deserve to have licences revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

IRLConor wrote: »

If you have a specific condition on your license saying that you may never leave your firearms unattended in a car then I'm pretty sure the Garda answer to your questions above would be something like: "Make two trips. First go out and do your shopping. Then go home, pick up your guns and go straight to the range without stopping." If you want to break those conditions for the sake of convenience, well, you'd better hope nothing ever gets stolen or you'll have a very unhappy chat with the Gardai.

I've such a condition on my licence. Not very practical to expect me to go from my house to somewhere far away like Lough Bo or An Riocht and not expect me to want to go to the toilet or get a bite to eat somewhere along the way. I can't leave it in the car so bringing it into Supermacs is pretty much my only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Pretty sure illegal to leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle. Its in one of the Criminal justice acts that amended the various firearms acts that a condition of grant of licence is that firearm has to be under the holder's control at all times. If in an unattended car its not under your control. thats why most jurisdictions/supers have it on the firearms licence that cannot be left in a vehicle.

• Advertisement

Not saying that that's categorically wrong barnaman, because the firearms act is such a mess, but I can't find the section of it that says what you say it says, and the section of it that sets out the conditions for granting a licence does not have that listed in it explicitly.

Also, if it was in there explicitly, then it would not serve any purpose for the Super or Chief Super to put it in the conditions of the licence because it'd be just repeating itself.

Can you find and quote the section that contains that condition please?

Advertisement