Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling cost for kitchen

Options
  • 28-07-2016 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're getting a 20sqm kitchen tiled in Dublin. Ceramic 300x600, new build, no major cutting involved. We got a quote of 27/sqm but not sure if that is reasonable?

Do tilers usually provide materials? Is the price different if they need to be sealed?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kerry bhoy

27 Euro a metre is very expensive even for porcelain tiles never mind ceramic. 12-15 would be fair price provided the floor is good.
    No, tilers don't usually supply adhesive and grout but at that price he might be so double check. Get at least 2 more quotes.
    Why are you sealing a ceramic tile?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

kerry bhoy wrote: »
    27 Euro a metre is very expensive even for porcelain tiles never mind ceramic. 12-15 would be fair price provided the floor is good.
    No, tilers don't usually supply adhesive and grout but at that price he might be so double check. Get at least 2 more quotes.

My mistake, they're porcelain, which I think need sealing? The floor is perfect, newly laid. Thanks for the advice!

I sold tiles for a number of years and I would advise you not to use tiles that need sealing. I'm guessing there polished porcelain ? If your budget allows pay extra for factory sealed tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I sold tiles for a number of years and I would advise you not to use tiles that need sealing. I'm guessing there polished porcelain ? If your budget allows pay extra for factory sealed tiles.

They're not polished - a kind of matt effect. We were looking for sealed ones but these are the only ones that were the right colour, size, etc. Why would you avoid ones that need sealing? Is it lower quality?

Ya, they would be lower quality alright, usually Chinese.from my experience I never heard of a matt tile that needed sealing but I haven't sold for a number of years so I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Ya, they would be lower quality alright, usually Chinese.from my experience I never heard of a matt tile that needed sealing but I haven't sold for a number of years so I'm open to correction.

Kerry Bhoy I have been told by two different builders that the consignment of
    Victorian 6" x 6" red quarry tiles I bought from a salvage outlet for installation in my kitchen require "sealing"......which I do not want as it destroys their character. They claim they will become easily stained if not sealed. I had similar in my last kitchen for 20 years without any problem. Are they talking rubbish (as I suspect) and why:confused:?

Hello, no your builders are telling you the truth. Quarry are a natural tile and porous so it is recommended that they get some sort of sealer. It's possible to get a matt finish sealer that should not change the natural look of the tile. If you decide to use this kind of sealer, you should seal one loose tile first and see what you think it the finish.
    But I have sold quarry tiles in the past to people who decided not to seal them and didn't have any comebacks in 6 years of sales. But then again if a shop recommends that you seal them and you don't then you don't have much come back anyway.
    Personally I would not use a tile that needs occasionally maintenance ,that's just more work that I don't need. Maybe you can get quarry tiles that come factory sealed these days maybe your tiles are already sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Never heard of an experienced tiler fitting tiles at 12 euro M2??? Only a few Cowboys work aft at price. €20 is average for Dublin

OK.not sure about prices in Dublin but 20 Euro m2 is very expensive for a ceramic tile in Kerry.

OK.not sure about prices in Dublin but 20 Euro m2 is very expensive for a ceramic tile in Kerry.

Reading this has given me a bad start to my day! Yesterday the (highly recommended) tiler gave me an estimate of €1,500 + VAT to fit ceramic tile to a 40 meters floor area kitchen and bathroom extension (County Mayo).........50 sq.meters overall. Includes complete tiling of walls of 31 sq.yard "wet-room" style bathroom and straightforward, rectangular 34 sq. yard kitchen. Would this be a 'going price? I know his work is good but thought the price a bit high, though have no experience to compare it with. Does not include cost of the ceramic tile, adhesives etc which I supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Chisler2 wrote: »
    Reading this has given me a bad start to my day! Yesterday the (highly recommended) tiler gave me an estimate of €1,500 + VAT to fit ceramic tile to a 40 meters floor area kitchen and bathroom extension (County Mayo).........50 sq.meters overall. Includes complete tiling of walls of 31 sq.yard "wet-room" style bathroom and straightforward, rectangular 34 sq. yard kitchen. Would this be a 'going price? I know his work is good but thought the price a bit high, though have no experience to compare it with. Does not include cost of the ceramic tile, adhesives etc which I supply.

Sound expensive to me. Where in Mayo are u based?

Sound expensive to me. Where in Mayo are u based?

Confirmed your opinion by asking around and have arranged for another couple of estimates from tilers whose work is recommended by local builders.

Advertisement