Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATH Q-Final: Beakerjoe vs Paulie21

• 28-07-2016 7:30pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The quarter finals roll on with the man from the muppets (Beaker) G.I Joe vs Legally allowed to drink in the states Paul. You know the drill, so here is the question with a place in the Semi Finals at stake :

Q:With the draft after happening there is room on Raw and SD to introduce something new and if you were asked to do so with a wrestler or tag team that's not currently on the WWE who would you choose and how and where would you introduce them? and then after your first post why would your choice be better than your opponents.

For the purposes of this question we are talking about realistic wrestlers to introduce to the current roster on a *full time basis (so no Rock / Batista / Angle* etc)

g'luck folks

Who should progress to the next round? 8 votes

BeakerJoe & Okada
    0% 0 votes
    Paulie21 & James Storm
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Interesting question BH, I've gone with someone who's been a TNA stalwart over the last ten years and that man is the Cowboy James Storm

8725a856c84bc92c83a7c0318765c220.jpg

I'd introduce Storm as a main event heel and place him on the blue brand as I feel there's a severe lack of heel talent in their main event picture, Bray Wyatt been the only one who springs to mind.

In the weeks leading up to their exclusive PPV, Backlash, Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan announce there will be a Money In The Bank ladder match and the winner receives a title shot at any time of their choosing. The partcipants will be Dolph Ziggler, Baron Corbin, Rhyno, Shelton Benjamin and Kalisto. Bryan announces their will be one spot remaining in the match to be filled by a mystery competitor. This leads to weeks of speculation on TV, The internet and social media as to who it could be.

On the night of Sunday the 11th of September, we kick off the night with the aforementioned Money In The Bank ladder match and as the announced five participants make their way to the ring, Daniel Bryan music hits and he welcomes the Smackdown universe to his latest signing, Cowboy James Storm. Storm hits the ring and proceeds to dominate the opening period of the match, however the other five team up to take him out of the equation for the time being. As the others continue to battle it out and it looks like Ziggler is on the verge of winning, Storm climbs to the top of the ladder and knocks Dolph off to claim the briefcase.

Later that night, Dean Ambrose successfully defends his WWE Heavyweight Championship against Bray Wyatt. After the match Erick Rowan and Wyatt lay out Ambrose and leave him unconscious in the middle of the ring. Storm music hits and he races down the ring and cashes in on a out of it Ambrose to become the new champion of Smackdown.

Over the next number of months we have a excellent heel champion who can go in the ring and play his character very well. He'd defend against Ambrose at the next PPV, have an excellent series with Ziggler that would carry on throughout the winter, defeat a tweener Wyatt at the Royal Rumble and Benjamin at the PPV before Wrestlemania 33.

In the build up to Wrestlemania, Storm will cut a promo stating he doesn't believe anyone on the Smackdown roster could beat him for his title at Mania , out of nowhere Randy Orton returns and delivers an RKO. We haven't seen Orton since Summeslam where Brock Lesnar destroyed him, people were speculating Orton had decided to retire due to his embarrassing loss and lost his passion for the business. Orton tells us the following week he did feel like that for a few months but he's back now and raring to go once again.

At Wrestlemania, Orton defeats Storm to rapturous noise from the crowd and becomes the new champion. Following this Storm and Orton go on to have one of the best feuds WWE has seen in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Q:With the draft after happening there is room on Raw and SD to introduce something new and if you were asked to do so with a wrestler or tag team that's not currently on the WWE who would you choose and how and where would you introduce them? and then after your first post why would your choice be better than your opponents.

Hmmmm.... a question with plenty of scope. Who to choose, Who to choose? Well with the brand spilt, and with Smackdown in need of something different? I want someone whos fresh, someone who is new to WWE and someone who will shake up the roster? I choose.....
    rainmaker_by_micku_kun-d8yzkj4.jpg

The Rainmaker Kazuchika Okada.

Okada is one, if not THE best wrestler in the world today. He is one of the most accomplished and polished wrestlers in the history of Japan and he is still extremely young. He has done it all in New Japan, as a main event heel and as a main event face and he heads to WWE for a new challenge.

After Summerslam vignettes begin signalling his imminent arrival to WWE and its announced that Shane McMahon has signed him for the Smackdown brand. The vignettes continue, showing clips of Okadas training while a narrator tells us of his accomplishments in New Japan. The commentators talk him up as a big deal after each clip, with JBL telling us of his wrestling pedigree, as well as his financial wealth and it is soon revealed that he will debut at Smackdowns PPV Backlash. This will bring plenty of eyes on the first big Smackdown exclusive PPV as Okada is a top top signing.

He debuts at the start of the show to much fanfare, including massive pyros, his usual cool attire and a neat theme song complete with Okada Bucks raining from the sky. His opponent is the newly signed Heath Slater and Okada runs through him with relative ease. Okada debuts as a strong face and he looks solid in his first outing.

Okada would then feud with The Miz. Miz is the perfect man to get Okada over more quickly in the US. Miz will have Okada on Miz TV, talk down to him, insult him and never letting Okada get a word in edgewise until Okada knocks the sugar out of the IC Champ much to the fans approval. Okada will continue to win his matches in impressive fashion, despite The miss best interference and distractions and Okada will eventually be made No1 contender to the IC title. The Miz will run his mouth and cowardly avoid Okada until a big PPV match in which the Miz walks away with his title and gets counted out intentionally. But The Miz will eventually get his comeuppance and Okada will squash The Miz and become IC champ.

From here he is well established and looks like the right man to elevate the IC championship, while rising his own stock eventually with matches against Ziggler, Styles before turning heel and facing Then champion John Cena in a title v title match.

Okada is the real deal. Hes an awesome wrestler, very charismatic and hes got plenty of years left in him. Okada would make WWE a better place and if used right, he could be a huge WWE star for years to come.
    Kazuchika-Okada-NJPW-G1Climax2012_zps34781e7e_original.png?1366234415

Now to have a go at Paulies Answer. Paulie, I like you, I respect you, but I cant in no way agree with your choice
    I'd introduce Storm as a main event heel and place him on the blue brand as I feel there's a severe lack of heel talent in their main event picture, Bray Wyatt been the only one who springs to mind.

James Storm is a fantastic answer........ For 2008...but in in 2016 hes well past his prime.

He has barely a top guy in TNA, yet you wanna push him to the moon on Smackdown? I don’t see it happening to be honest. The fans wouldn’t care as much as you think they would. In the last 3 years his TNA career hit the skids with awful storylines ( his cult character Bray Wyatt rip off act and the pushing Mickie James in front of a train angle did him no favours.) and he is fairly out of shape compared to others his age. Then he joins NXT and he barely did anything of note (creative wasn’t too high on him and he didn’t get teh reaction of other former TNA stars) and it wasn’t long before he goes back to TNA and rehashes his old team with Bobby Roode (who didn’t stay long either). Hes more like TNAs Chris Jericho )he is in the mid card helping younger lads get over. Hes not a main event guy.

james-storm-300x194.jpg

In the weeks leading up to their exclusive PPV, Backlash, Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan announce there will be a Money In The Bank ladder match and the winner receives a title shot at any time of their choosing. The partcipants will be Dolph Ziggler, Baron Corbin, Rhyno, Shelton Benjamin and Kalisto. Bryan announces their will be one spot remaining in the match to be filled by a mystery competitor. This leads to weeks of speculation on TV, The internet and social media as to who it could be.

On the night of Sunday the 11th of September, we kick off the night with the aforementioned Money In The Bank ladder match and as the announced five participants make their way to the ring, Daniel Bryan music hits and he welcomes the Smackdown universe to his latest signing, Cowboy James Storm. Storm hits the ring and proceeds to dominate the opening period of the match, however the other five team up to take him out of the equation for the time being. As the others continue to battle it out and it looks like Ziggler is on the verge of winning, Storm climbs to the top of the ladder and knocks Dolph off to claim the briefcase.

Later that night, Dean Ambrose successfully defends his WWE Heavyweight Championship against Bray Wyatt. After the match Erick Rowan and Wyatt lay out Ambrose and leave him unconscious in the middle of the ring. Storm music hits and he races down the ring and cashes in on a out of it Ambrose to become the new champion of Smackdown.

Over the next number of months we have a excellent heel champion who can go in the ring and play his character very well. He'd defend against Ambrose at the next PPV, have an excellent series with Ziggler that would carry on throughout the winter, defeat a tweener Wyatt at the Royal Rumble and Benjamin at the PPV before Wrestlemania 33.

In the build up to Wrestlemania, Storm will cut a promo stating he doesn't believe anyone on the Smackdown roster could beat him for his title at Mania , out of nowhere Randy Orton returns and delivers an RKO. We haven't seen Orton since Summeslam where Brock Lesnar destroyed him, people were speculating Orton had decided to retire due to his embarrassing loss and lost his passion for the business. Orton tells us the following week he did feel like that for a few months but he's back now and raring to go once again.

At Wrestlemania, Orton defeats Storm to rapturous noise from the crowd and becomes the new champion. Following this Storm and Orton go on to have one of the best feuds WWE has seen in years
    paulie21 is online now Report Post

Why would you put James Storm at this stage in his career in the WWE main event circle? He cant even main event in TNA, as younger and more over guys have that spot. He’d be a bad choice. He would be a decent hand in NXT in my opinion or a Rhyno type guy on the Blue main roster, but Main event..... it wouldn’t be a popular move mate.

And you have him as a main event heel? His best work was always as a face who chased the pack, I doubt even in his most over stage of his career he could pull off a main event heel, he’s just not the guy.

So after pushing a 39 year old past his prime performer who lacks overness in this stage of his career to the top of the pile in his first night, you’d have him go over younger lads all the way to Wrestlemania... He fans would not enjoy it one bit and it makes no sense to put this guy over so much. Hes a good in ring worker, but he’no Cena, He’s no AJ Styles..... hell hes no Ziggler.

The fans would reject this idea and I think if you think about it yourself, its a bad idea. Ive no Problem with storm coming in to put the likes of Baron Corbin, Apollo Crews or even Mojo Rawley over.... but main Event James Storm ? No Thanks

Okada, which is my choice, is younger, in his prime (or may even get better) and hes super hot right now. Hest eh man you want, not James Storm. Hell I don’t even think You should push Okada to teh moon in his first night (no need to rush) but Id happily get on board the idea of it any day over James Storm.

Sorry about your damn luck poor choice of answer

Well off the bat we can discard how Storm has been booked in TNA recently. Why? because everyone knows TNA is gone to the dogs lately. Anyone who has joined WWE never has there TNA background mentioned. As for Storm been out of shape you can put down to him not caring about his career anymore, however if he knew an offer from WWE was coming up and a main event spot was on the cards you can be sure he'd be in perfect condition for the run.

On to Okada now, you put the man in a fued with the Miz that would just ruin the poor chap. When is Okada facing Cena for the title? It would have to be at a random PPV because Cena imo can only win his next title at Wrestlemania why because he'll be tying Ric Flairs record. No way can that historic moment not take place at Mania.

Storm has one last run in him. Smackdown desperately needs a new main event heel, Your introducing another face initially btw, What I've outlined works. We're not jumping leaps and bounds like you are. You're assuming the audience is going to take to Okada straight away I'd doubt the majority know who he is hell I'd doubt Vince even knows who he is. I'd say if Okada does join WWE he'll have to go down the Fergal Devitt route and familiarise himself to the people by working on NXT for a couple of years.

Well firstly Im not a James Storm hater, hes been a great underrated performer in since 2005-2012, should have gotten a better booked run with his feud with Bobby Roode and he is still a fine hand these days. Id see no problem with him coming in to be a solid midcard hand, putting guys over who are much younger than him. But thats as far as I go, he is not a main event guy and he sure as hell wouldnt be a bigger player than Kazuchika Okada.

Hes 39 now and hes not in great physical condition like he was say 5 years ago.
    Well off the bat we can discard how Storm has been booked in TNA recently. Why? because everyone knows TNA is gone to the dogs lately.

Debatable, you could say TNA has been in the dogs since 2011 to be fair and you wouldnt hear much argument. While I agree that his booking could be disregarded to an extent, he is in need of plenty of character rehab before he can ever be placed in a WWE Main event position. Okada hasn’t got suich a problem, he could slot in to a main event spot on either show and he could easily fit in. Storm would struggle big time
    As for Storm been out of shape you can put down to him not caring about his career anymore,

If Storm doesnt care about his career anymore, why should I? Why Should any fan? And why would WWE hire a man in such a funk and push him to the top on his first night? Its a horrible idea if thats the case Paulie!
    Anyone who has joined WWE never has there TNA background mentioned.

It may not be mentioned on screen, but his body of work and his physical condition will 100 percent come into play when the powers that be in WWE are considering hiring someone. Im guessing its why he didn’t get much of a look in at NXT when he had his brief stint there. Storm is the kinda guy who would need a good word or two to get the WWE top brass to look at him (Billy Gunn got him his shot in NXT, WWE didn’t seek him out).

Okada on the other hand, hes the man WWE would do their best to lure to their company. WWE have already got eyes on him if you read reports online. Its a no brainer to bring a guy like Okada in. He would be a huge coup for WWE to sign him from a financial POV (The Japanese/Asian market is one WWE is trying to conquer, hence the signings of Nak, AJ, KENTA) and he has the talent to be a star in the states and world wide. Storm sadly hasn’t got an ounce of that kind of appeal.

On to Okada now, you put the man in a fued with the Miz that would just ruin the poor chap.
    How so? No really please explain this to me. Daniel Bryans first feud in WWE was with Mr Moneymaker and he did fairly ok. The Miz, who may not be the perfect in ring talent, excels at getting talent over and drawing genuine heat. Theres no better man to pair Okada with first.
    When is Okada facing Cena for the title? It would have to be at a random PPV because Cena imo can only win his next title at Wrestlemania why because he'll be tying Ric Flairs record

While I agree its a big moment if/when that happens and it may happen at WM next, but it doesnt mean it will happen then or should happen then. Id argue him over taking the record is a much bigger Wrestlemania moment and hes still got plenty of years to accomplish that.
    Storm has one last run in him. Smackdown desperately needs a new main event heel,

So If they desparatly need a main event heel (which I dont believe tbh), Stoprm isnt the guy to be that man. He just isnt over enough and rushing him there will only make matters worse. You'd be better off rushing an established, big draw talent like Okada to that spot than old Jimmy storm
    What I've outlined works. We're not jumping leaps and bounds like you are

Your waaaay off base here Paulie, seriously. Its you and you’re answer that is trying to jump leaps and bounds. Storm is damaged goods. Hes not capable of being a top draw talent to main event in WWE. Seriously, its just an awful idea. James Storm couldn’t even make it in NXT. Hes going no where near the WWE main event scene in his career.

Okada is the man capable of slotting in my idea and hes capable of slotting in easily to your ill advised plan and making it work better than Storm ever could. Okada gets eyes on your product.....Storm gets the viewer to pick up the remote.
    You're assuming the audience is going to take to Okada straight away
    And your assuming the same about Storm? You've seen TNAs viewership right? And Im not even pushing Okada straight away. A few vignettes, a few nice introduction feuds...Im hardly pushing him to win the title in his first night Paulie, get real!

A lot more people know who Okada is and Im sure Vince is very aware of Okada more so than little TNAs drunken cowboy.

One idea here makes sense... the other is a pipe dream by a man who is giving an old James Storm a ridiculous fantasy run that no one would buy!

Okada > James Storm

• Advertisement

As I said I see no reason why he wouldn't get into peak condition if WWE were sniffing about. Storm would care about his career if got the right opportunity, he's in an abyss at the moment in TNA which is very directionless at the moment. His character doesn't need to be rebuilt that much in my opinion and I'd doubt many casual wrestling fans even watch TNA these days hell I even gave up on it a couple of years back. Pushing Storm to the moon on his opening night, some like you will say its a stretch but I feel it would be something different and unexpected and the jolt the WWE needs to get back on track after very predictable booking in recent years.

A feud with Miz would lead to Miz carrying the story over the microphone whilst Okada would carry it in the ring. I personally ain't a fan of the Miz and wouldn't like to see a hot new superstar stuck working for him. It worked for Bryan because WWE made Miz his mentor in NXT in a deliberate attempt to undermine Bryan and a suck it to internet smarks.

You seem to focus a lot on James Storm been an old guy but he is the same age as John Cena who is still the company's kingpin. He's not even 40 yet for goodness sake. Outside of Bray Wyatt who's a heel on Smackdown who you could trust to be in the main event picture. Storm in a short run can carry this while the likes of Baron Corbin can develop and take over.

Storm has already been in the WWE only last year so I'd say he's more well known to Vince and the audience. I'm sure Okada would be successful if introduced on NXT and gradually built up to the main roster. International stars don't tend to transition to WWE. It's a different style of wrestling preferred in the States. Also, I'm sure Vince is pretty reluctant to push another internet darling.

I believe the scenario I outlined is a believable one that could happen where I believe my opponent's scenario is a pipe dream and highly unlikely to see come through. Vote for what makes sense not a fairytale

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sorry about the delay but Poll up now so get voting peeps

poll bump guys

Poll bump!

Advertisement