Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness Benefit Deduction from wages

Options
  • 28-07-2016 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I was recently off work with a fractured bone in my foot. I provided work with all the relevant sick certs and got paid sick pay for the first week. In the second week 188euro was deducted inline with the amount of illness benefit. The problem i have is that I did not apply for illness benefit, as I am on Family Income Supplement and did not believe I was entitled to it. I now want to know if I can claim this deduction back from either work or social welfare. I have inquired from my work, (Dunnes Stores) but expect to wait a while for a reply. Does anyone else know if this can be reclaimed?

Comments

Fair play for them to pay you week you were out. They have no obligation to pay sick. Social Welfare is where you look

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It likely states in the employee handbook that you must apply for Illness benefit and they will pay the "top up" to your regular wages..

I'm sure you can go to the GP and get a cery completed and apply for the illness benifet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

You can't apply for Illness Benefit now. You have to apply for it within 7 days of becoming sick. You won't get anything from Social Welfare at this stage.

You also can't "claim" it back from your employer, as presumably what they did was company policy and would have been outlined in your terms and conditions of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

You can claim it back after the 7 days, you have up to 8 weeks or 12 weeks in some cases - just add in on the form that you didn't know it was company policy etc.. Did it recently with no issues and that was 6 weeks after I went back to work. They wont give you the full amount though, I think they took 140 off me and gave back 80 so dont expect the full amount back. Just go to your GP or even call them and ask them to fill out the illness benefit forms - there is one for each week that you were out and also a letter needed for the reason you were out. The GP should have the forms.

I posted them back and had the money within three weeks with no questions asked from DSP

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I stand corrected :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

You can claim the money back. Get the SW form from your doctor and make sure the dates on it matches the dates on the certs you gave work. If you are back to work you get a first and final cert. If you are still out ill then you have to drop in a doctors SW form to the dole office weekly.
    You should let payroll dept in work how much Illness Benefit that you get paid by the state when you do get it. This is to ensure that they deduct the correct the appropriate amount from your wages.
    Illness Benefit is taxable and Dunnes have to add the correct amount to your taxable pay. They have to make sure you pay tax on it.
    If you are being paid more than 188 weekly by the state you will have to tell Dunnes too. What they deduct from your wages has to match what SW pay you.

Revenue will write to them to tell them how much they paid you, but trust me as a payroll person, its better if there is a discrepancy that the person brings it to my attention. In my job i get about 30 SW letters a week and am constantly adjusting figures... its torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

Laura_A wrote: »
    You can claim it back after the 7 days, you have up to 8 weeks or 12 weeks in some cases - just add in on the form that you didn't know it was company policy etc.. Did it recently with no issues and that was 6 weeks after I went back to work. They wont give you the full amount though, I think they took 140 off me and gave back 80 so dont expect the full amount back. Just go to your GP or even call them and ask them to fill out the illness benefit forms - there is one for each week that you were out and also a letter needed for the reason you were out. The GP should have the forms.

I posted them back and had the money within three weeks with no questions asked from DSP

What you were paid by DSP and what your employer deducted have to match. Illness benefit is taxable and has to be taxed correctly. You should bring the paperwork you get from DSP to your payroll person and have it adjusted accordingly.

Revenue will write to your employer to tell the amount you were paid. If you got paid more than employer deducted then by rights you have to repay your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 robmac110

Thanks for all the replies. Have been to see the doc again and he said he will fill in paperwork . I think will just have to gee him up a bit on Monday to make sure it's done. Thanks so much for all the help.

Advertisement