Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to training after a month off

Options
  • 28-07-2016 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I was pretty much on top form about 3 weeks ago (target for the year was the Marmotte) and since then I have been very busy at work before (and I am not complaining here!) heading off for 3 weeks holidays with the family.

Now, I put in a lot of training over the last 6 months so part of the deal was that the family holiday would involve no cycling whatsoever. I have taken to this rather quickly and am very much enjoying lots of cakes and beer, plenty of snacks and lazing about the pool. All very much perfect really.

My question is what is the best way for me to get back into things when I get home. I don't have any 'targets' but was toying with the idea of dong some racing etc. Would you think it better just to enter into offseason early and take an extended break (with maybe a longish cycle each weekend) until restarting in October, or would it be possible to put in a few weeks of intensive training and get back to close what I was before?

I know, I know, 1st world problem and all that but any advice??

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I raced (track in the GBR Masters) 4 weeks ago and suffered a back problem and then succumbed to a virus meaning I did virtually nothing for the following 2 weeks. Last week I had another go at track racing (Sundrive) and was struggling. This week I've done a couple of lengthy spins to help top up my base and now feel almost back to normal

My target for the year is the World Masters in October (plus a couple of vets championships in the UK and Ireland). That gives me a bit of time, and I fully expect to be back to peak fitness by early September (and will do a couple more road races plus some track racing in the meantime, although it remains to be seen how competitive I'll be over the longer distances).

I certainly don't think you should be writing the season off and indeed some events may be a bit easier as fields drop off a bit due to holidays and people finishing their racing early. My own season does always target the back-end of the year as that's when most of my main events are and equally that's when I deliver my better performances

Advertisement