Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a restaurant?

Options
  • 28-07-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭

Got to go to Galway and meet someone tomorrow night.

I know it is Race Week but what are the chances of finding a place to eat a decent meal that hasn't had to book ahead? Anywhere in or around town?
    Or is Friday night a lost cause at this stage, LOL?

Willing to spend for a good dinner but not astronomical.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What time do you intend to eat?
    What kind of food would you prefer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

You might want to head out of town to get a meal. I imagine most of the good restaurants will be booked.
    Try Royal Villa in Salthill. Chinese food. Yum Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

biko wrote: »
    What time do you intend to eat?
    What kind of food would you prefer?

Not fussy, any kind. Maybe eightish. But not fussy!
    I just thought somebody local might know of a place that is likely to be reliable for food and possibly have a table.

Willing to take a cheerful chance, that's all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Galway is choc a bloc this week- any good restaurants would be booked. You could just phone a few on the offchance they have had a cancellation. Asian tea house is central and worth a try. West end restaurants might be slightly quieter- Dominic street and sea road- Kai (New Zealand chef) Massimo (pub food but good), oscars (sea food), Rouge (French basic with decent wine list) all only a minute or two away from the main city area but a bit of breathing space. Have a lovely evening, atmosphere in city is fantastic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try Papa Rich or McSwiggans, both on Woodquay about 5 mins walk from Shop Street.

Galway is small so all places will be within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

There were complaints last year from one restaurant owner (think it was JP McMahon) that quite a few group reservations during Race Week were no shows.
    Many restaurants do 7pm and 9pm seatings so maybe ring around at 7.20pm and you'll get in on a cancellation.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ole112

Studio on Eglinton Street is really nice

Thank you all so much for replies -
    I did ring a couple of places but as forecast, Saturday of race week was too full.
    We ended up ordering Thai food delivered from a place in Salthill, it was delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

katemarch wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for replies -
    I did ring a couple of places but as forecast, Saturday of race week was too full.
    We ended up ordering Thai food delivered from a place in Salthill, it was delicious!

Was it Lana Asian Street Food? Great spot.

• Advertisement

Was it Lana Asian Street Food? Great spot.

Yes, that was it. Delectable food.

Advertisement