Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a new cooling mat!

• 28-07-2016 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a durable cooling mat that they've used and that's lasted for a big dog... not a dainty little thing! :P

I have two zooplus ones - one's gone hard/dried up inside some of the pockets the some of them got punctured on the other one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I just use wet towels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My wooden floor/ceiling below would be wrecked by wet towels lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Good point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My big zooplus cooling mats didn't stand the test of time either... Like yours tk, the sections have gone hard and dry.
    I've resorted to clipping the GSD's belly, leaving a fringe on each side so that you can't see her tummy is bald unless she's exposing herself shamelessly with paws in the air :o
    She can cool herself off now by lying on the tiled floors :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

DBB wrote: »
    My big zooplus cooling mats didn't stand the test of time either... Like yours tk, the sections have gone hard and dry.
    I've resorted to clipping the GSD's belly, leaving a fringe on each side so that you can't see her tummy is bald unless she's exposing herself shamelessly with paws in the air :o
    She can cool herself off now by lying on the tiled floors :)

That is an AMAZING idea.

Mine hates getting wet and she's getting very little relief lying on our tiles. She's barely been able to step outside the past couple of weeks without melting.

I'm so tempted to clip her tummy now...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think even removing the hair from the groin, and even a narrow strip up the belly really helps. It looks weird when she rolls on her back, but I think she's happier :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Im sure you've thought of it but what about a few fans? Ive 3 on the floor around the house and it works great, Argos sell cheap ones and they run on about 40 watts so cost around the same as a lightbulb to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I hope you get your pup sorted, but can I ask where you are that's getting any hot weather? It's 11 degrees here this morning... and been pouring with rain for WEEKS

*sniff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

kathleen37 wrote: »
    I hope you get your pup sorted, but can I ask where you are that's getting any hot weather? It's 11 degrees here this morning... and been pouring with rain for WEEKS

*sniff*

Lol , its been raining alright but for the most part I've found it very humid, and indoors has seemed to store the heat. The last few days have got cooler alright, we're inland so less breezes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kathleen37 wrote: »

*sniff*

Our house has crappy insulation so humid in the summer and frozen in the winter! We also live beside a river and park and the botanic gardens around the corner so the area in general can get humid and heavy. He has a thyroid problem too so while he likes to cook himself in the sun by day he doesn't like it at night lol!!

Anyway I'm not sure if I'll bother with getting one now. I've been moving is his bed around to try different positions and changed the bedding to just that cheapo cusion I mentioned in the bargain alerts thread and a sheet on top AND I got a new bowl that's nice and deep (my mum says it looks like a potty :p) and have that on top of a plastic box for him so he's able to drink comfortably. Last night has been the best so far with the bed and bowl combo position so hopefully we all get a nights sleep instead of him getting up, walking around at all hours and circling 20 times before finally plonking down!

I do have a fan for them too so put that on at night if it's very warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement