Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal & Politics. Slayer endorse Hillary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

When it comes to keeping that fcuking lunatic out of office then anything goes tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Maybe I have the wrong perception of US metal fans. But I presumed most of them would lean more toward the political right wing.

Most musicians would avoid voicing their political views at the risk if pissing off a section of their fanbase so fair play to King and Snider on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You're kidding right? Loads of metal bands from Napalm Death to Megadeth to System of a Down have political themes throughout their lyrics, you'll rarely find apolitical bands.

Links234 wrote: »
    You're kidding right? Loads of metal bands from Napalm Death to Megadeth to System of a Down have political themes throughout their lyrics, you'll rarely find apolitical bands.

I guess I never really thought of it that way. Sure. Many songs have political themes but do bands normally speak out directly about contentious political issues?

Maybe they do, It's not something I've put much thought into to be honest. If I like the music, I listen to it and don't really care too much what their political views are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yes, a lot of bands speak openly about political issues.

Have you ever heard Rage Against the Machine?

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of bands speak openly about political issues.

Have you ever heard Rage Against the Machine?

Yeah I've heard them, I know they are political but I always took their lyrics against capitalism and political corruption as being just general "**** the establishment" rather being party politically specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Politics weaves it's way in to a lot of music through lyrics. I am not American or in to politics though, but that Trump fella seems like a bit of a lunatic to be letting loose on the world as President of the USA, so if Mrs Clinton is the only opposistion to him then 'Vote Clinton' is probably going to be a common endorsement.

Maybe if Trump wins and chaos follows it'll influence some songs on the next Slayer album? Oh hang on, they have already done World Painted Blood! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Hillary Clinton's not exactly innocent either, the whole e-mail scandal & possible FBI indictment over said e-mail scandal, then again I suppose she'd be the lesser of 2 evils..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think the perception that most metal bands would be right wing would be because of imbeciles like Phil Anselmo who do moronic things like shouting about white power. However, in a lot of cases such as grindcore (which game from a punk background) there'd be a fair number of left-leaning bands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Slayer endorse Hilary?

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone told Tom Araya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I hate this nonsense.
    I listen to music to get away from all this ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

To be fair the title is a bit misleading. It was only Kerry King that spoke out and it's not really a ringing endorsement. He's just saying the Hillary is a slightly safer choice than the other muppet.

Still surprising though as I would have assumed that Slayer members would have a strong leaning to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Still surprising though as I would have assumed that Slayer members would have a strong leaning to the right.

I would say Tom certainly leans toward a more libertarian viewpoint. At the same time all the guys that came up in the 80's would probably be instinctively wary of both the main parties after the whole PMRC witch hunt.

Advertisement