Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Kitten tips

• 28-07-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Just adopted a little ginger kitten. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on caring for this little guy.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Toys, toys, toys and playtime. Lots of play in short spurts basically. Also when petting and he starts going for your hand simply "freeze up" to stop making him associate your hand as a plaything to be pawed.

In terms of feeding it should be done after a play session and split in three meals a day with water always available. For food ensure it's grain free if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Love me my redheads...age?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelleryan86

Nody wrote: »
    Toys, toys, toys and playtime. Lots of play in short spurts basically. Also when petting and he starts going for your hand simply "freeze up" to stop making him associate your hand as a plaything to be pawed.

In terms of feeding it should be done after a play session and split in three meals a day with water always available. For food ensure it's grain free if possible.

Thanks for the advice, its been awhile since I have had a kitten to care for, all my cats were adult strays. I just started his worming him this morning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Learn how to walk over to a closed door, open it and then get ignored by the cat "wanting" to come in :)

Love me my redheads...age?

I am quite fond of ginger cats too, tend to be little characters. He is between 6-8 weeks old apparently. He is little but strong and very good to eat his food.

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Learn how to walk over to a closed door, open it and then get ignored by the cat "wanting" to come in :)

Yes I have had some adult cats do that to me, this little guy will be staying inside until he is neutered and vaccinated. I am sure when he is bigger he will do the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

great. if you have him wormed now, wait one more week than first shot. follow up booster 3 weeks later. worm in between (but wait 7 days after first vax).
    Neuter as soon as crown jewels have dropped..cats can be sexually mature at 5 months time...for the rest?
    Watch your step lol. You'll find the little crater behind you unexpectedly, or in front of you. Little balls of rustling paper are a great toy, they love playing with those (you'll find 'em everywhere)...:-). enjoy!!!

great. if you have him wormed now, wait one more week than first shot. follow up booster 3 weeks later. worm in between (but wait 7 days after first vax).
    Neuter as soon as crown jewels have dropped..cats can be sexually mature at 5 months time...for the rest?
    Watch your step lol. You'll find the little crater behind you unexpectedly, or in front of you. Little balls of rustling paper are a great toy, they love playing with those (you'll find 'em everywhere)...:-). enjoy!!!

Thanks so much for the advice! Yes I am sure he will be a little monster once he settles in properly. He seems to like investigating everything in the room he is in atm. I will be sure to watch him and get him neutered asap. Its much better for them anyway, won't be wandering off, getting into fights or picking up any nasty diseases either!

Advertisement