Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random bunch of cables and switc query

Options
  • 29-07-2016 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the bizarre questions from me but we are viewing houses and I'm a bit clueless! We just viewed a house today built recently and there is a bundle of taped off cables coming out of the wall beside the fuse box. They look like cat 5. Is that likely in a new housing estate? Or is there something else they could be?

Also there was a white switch high up (above head height) on the wall in the en suite which didn't seem to have a purpose. It's not the fan, that comes on with the light switch and there's a red switch beside the light switch which I assume is the electric shower. Any ideas what it could be?

Comments

Seems straightforward enough but upload pics if you can.

Sounds like the house is wired for an alarm. That's what the bundle of taped up white cables are. Check the windows/front and back doors/ corners of rooms/outside under the eaves for the other ends of those cables.

Overhead switch is probably an isolator switch for the extractor. Next time you're in the house, flick on the light/fan switch as normal and flick that overhead switch. Only the fan should turn off.

Red switch next to light switch sounds like a shower isolator switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

No pics right now I'm afraid, didn't even think of it!

There's definitely an alarm because the Estate agent had to turn it off.

That's new on me for the fan, will try that!

Could be a few cat 5/6 points around the house so and that's the intended location for a patch panel
    That's new on me for the fan, will try that!

Only ever seen it in my sisters house and the odd hotel room.

Advertisement