Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi performance crap after W10 upgrade

• 29-07-2016 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭

Just upgraded this evening on my trusty Dell studio 1735 from Win 7. All good with exception of wifi which has literally taken a dive from what was approx 50-60mb download speed to approx 1.5 ! Ethernet runs at the full 240mb or thereabouts. Its a dell wireless 1510 WLAN card. Any suggestions from the clever folk here ?

Ive a 5ghz and a 2.4ghz here. UPC Horizon. I'll roll back if I cannot get it resolved but plenty of time to fault find before I have to undo the upgrade. I'm sure its something simple such as a driver compatibility issue or the like but fecked if I can find the cause/fix.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If it's one of the cards where Dell have compiled their own driver for it, the driver being shoddy is almost certainly the problem - I had a similar issue on my Dell tablet where the wifi & 3G is fine on Win 8 but gives crap performance and constant errors on Win10.

To be honest, the easiest workaround might be spending a few euro on a USB wifi dongle - the alternative is either waiting for a new driver from dell or spending ages trying various driver releases for Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 to see if any of them give you better throughput.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Fysh wrote: »
    If it's one of the cards where Dell have compiled their own driver for it, the driver being shoddy is almost certainly the problem - I had a similar issue on my Dell tablet where the wifi & 3G is fine on Win 8 but gives crap performance and constant errors on Win10.

To be honest, the easiest workaround might be spending a few euro on a USB wifi dongle - the alternative is either waiting for a new driver from dell or spending ages trying various driver releases for Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 to see if any of them give you better throughput.

Cheers Fysh. I've ordered an Intel card that apparently works with W10. They've better supported than the Broadcom stuff anyway. I've rolled back for the moment but at least having installed it before the deadline, I can reinstall it now anytime in the future now I have the digital entitlement. Handy that!

Advertisement