Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5e house cabling

Options
  • 29-07-2016 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask - I have little or no experience with spec'ing / installing or hiring someone to install residential cabling.

What are you experiences with getting a new house cabled for Cat5e?
    There is are no cables run at present.

This is a three storey house, I would like to place a Ubiquity AP on the ceiling on each floor. I'm wondering if its possible to get the required cabling across the ceiling without cutting (ambitious, I know).

Can you recommend anyone?
    I'd also be interested in understanding the standard ballpark price for this:

* Move UPC / Cable socket to terminate elsewhere like a storage closet.
    * 4 cable runs to well terminations running to the attic (preferably terminated on a patch panel for a reasonable cost).
    * 2 Cable runs (one from ground and mid floor) to attic for AP's in ceiling.
    * 1 AP point termination on the 3rd floor ceiling (directly under attic).
    * Would it be completely necessary to open the wall ( I don't believe so).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Go for 6, you'd be nuts to bury 5e in your cavities in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

rugrat69 wrote: »

you should read up on the downsides of wifi repeaters. Of which there are many.

Ripping open the walls depends on the house OP. Holes in the ceiling will almost definitely be required for first and second floors for the AP's. I would try terminate closer to the ground floor in a storage area(well ventilated) if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

rugrat69 wrote: »

Terrible idea. Cat6 and APs is the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dont want to put my amazon acc link:but search on amazon:Hexagon Network - Ethernet Cable Cat7 Flat 50ft White, Shielded (STP) Network Cable Cat 7 Flat Slim Ethernet Patch Cable, Internet Cable With Snagless RJ45 Connectors - 50 Feet White 22£

got 100 feet for around 30e+ couple of these rolls would be more then enough to get most house setup with APs,also good benefit since its flat cable thus possible to get under floor or in other tight spaces and is a bit more forgiving on bending,as for avoiding cutting in wrong places use light holes guiding cable to where you want APs setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 luckaa

Terrible idea. Cat6 and APs is the only way to go

Really?
    Time and time again I see people post here about using Cat6 etc but it is not very often that they able to speak to any of the technical complexities beyond cabling standards. I'd like to hear them talk about I/O, buffer and algorithms for compression and streaming.

scamalert wrote: »
    dont want to put my amazon acc link:but search on amazon:Hexagon Network - Ethernet Cable Cat7 Flat 50ft White, Shielded (STP) Network Cable Cat 7 Flat Slim Ethernet Patch Cable, Internet Cable With Snagless RJ45 Connectors - 50 Feet White 22£

got 100 feet for around 30e+ couple of these rolls would be more then enough to get most house setup with APs,also good benefit since its flat cable thus possible to get under floor or in other tight spaces and is a bit more forgiving on bending,as for avoiding cutting in wrong places use light holes guiding cable to where you want APs setup.

I'd love to test the speeds over that flat cable
    luckaa wrote: »
    Really?
    Time and time again I see people post here about using Cat6 etc but it is not very often that they able to speak to any of the technical complexities beyond cabling standards. I'd like to hear them talk about I/O, buffer and algorithms for compression and streaming.

My post had nothing to do with cat6, it was referring to using wireless repeaters rather than running a cable and using an access point

My post had nothing to do with cat6, it was referring to using wireless repeaters rather than running a cable and using an access point

Oh agreed, I am only going with an AP based solution period.
    As far as I'm concerned, there aren't other solutions.

Oh agreed, I would only go with an AP based solution period.
    As far as I'm concerned, there aren't other solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

on that cat7 dont have gear to test full speeds,but no issues with getting around 350MBs+ on VM BB speed tests.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    on that cat7 dont have gear to test full speeds,but no issues with getting around 350MBs+ on VM BB speed tests.

You can't test using your broadband as it's the bottleneck. Cat7 should do 100gbit in a lab over a short run

Advertisement