Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol or diesel for low urban mileage?

• 29-07-2016 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a new 7-seater MPV like a VW Touran, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso or Ford S-Max. Space for kids is essentially what we are in the market for.

We do about 9,000 km a year, mainly urban with a motorway trip every so often. Car will not be used for a commute and would not get any use about half of all days.

I am inclined to go diesel on the basis of a few calculations below.

Full price: Diesel version seems about 2,500 more expensive, though I am not sure if this is really like for like
    Tax: Diesel will be around the 200 a year, petrol 280.
    Fuel cost: For my mileage I reckon diesel saves about 220 a year
    Diesel particulate filter: Would be doing 100kmh at least once a month
    Resale value: plan is to keep it for 10 years so resale value not of huge importance

So over ten years the saving is 3000 for a 2500 higher upfront cost. Market seems to agree - about 90% of this class on carzone is diesel.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this - thanks!

Petrol or diesel for me? 21 votes

Petrol
    4% 1 vote
    Diesel
    95% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'd go for a Prius +.

Better than diesel economy in the short commutes without any of the modern diesel issues.

€180 per year road tax, and a claimed combined mpg of nearly 66mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

For such a marginal saving, I'd go with the petrol. The engines are much simpler and there's much less to go wrong.

Advertisement