Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New e-cigarette laws. What does it mean for Ireland?

• 29-07-2016 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Along with all the bad news coming out of mainland Europe & USA, my go-to liquid shop in Germany said they will be phasing out nicotine products in the near future. I'll stock up for the apocalypse now but it looks like in a few months time it will get more difficult.

I haven't noticed any squeeze at all in Ireland though. Vape shops seem to be as popular as the "Turkish Barber" these days!

What can we expect here? Or do you think we'll follow the UK's more relaxed approach to it?

Vape Naysh \/\

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nobody seems to be really sure tbh, as usual Ireland will wait and just follow in line with the rest of the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭mossymac!

So far they seem to have copied the entire article into law word for word - but have no clue where to go from there. Some B&M shops, requesting guidance have gotten nothing but silence.

As the UK are heading for what looks to be a softly, softly approach we will probably end up trying to straddle the fence between the UK & EU. With the NI border we at least have some leverage for a 'less than full' implementation - if the govt. had the balls to push the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Along with all the bad news coming out of mainland Europe & USA, my go-to liquid shop in Germany said they will be phasing out nicotine products in the near future. I'll stock up for the apocalypse now but it looks like in a few months time it will get more difficult.

I haven't noticed any squeeze at all in Ireland though. Vape shops seem to be as popular as the "Turkish Barber" these days!

What can we expect here? Or do you think we'll follow the UK's more relaxed approach to it?

Vape Naysh \/\

Shops in Ireland have until next may to sell current stock, presumable that includes stuff on order. After that everything will have to be TPD compliant. The actual standards aren't yet available so for now it all "as you were". I doubt anyone will stop selling nicotine e juice, up to 20mg is allowed in 10ml bottles. Tanks have to be 2ml and all new product has to be notified 6 months in advance. Yes it will get more difficult as new product will be out of date before it hits the shops in europe, I presume china won't keep stuff back that long and enthusiasts will have already gotten it from fastteck or wherever.
    Other than that we also have the option of ordering from the UK who will have a more relaxed implementation.
    What happens in the US is important as if it's as bad as it seems then that's about half the market removed. That's going to impact cost and consequently the number of producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

I read that the polish government is bringing in strict rules straight away and if I remember correctly will stop Polish shops from shipping abroad. I'm afraid I can't post a link to this article, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Not to sure how this does not contravene the EU Directive on the Free Movement of Goods etc

iba wrote: »
    I read that the polish government is bringing in strict rules straight away and if I remember correctly will stop Polish shops from shipping abroad. I'm afraid I can't post a link to this article, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Not to sure how this does not contravene the EU Directive on the Free Movement of Goods etc

This seems to be correct, Poland is going hard on vaping.
    http://vaping360.com/poland-will-shut-online-vaping-sales/
    As E-cigs are being regulated under tobacco products they can bann cross border sales and online sales if the want without breaking free movement rules. So much for the justification for article 20 in the first place "to harmonise regulation and ensure the smooth function of the market"!

• Advertisement

That'll suck if it happens, the likes of e-aroma shop though have said on various forums that they won't be affected, selling concentrates. Hopefully not.

Probably flavours and zero nic stuff will be OK, though it depends on how far the definition of tobacco product is stretched. Nicotine bases is gone though.
    It will be interesting to see if they start opening parcels from China. Clive Bates did an experiment and ordered 100% nic from China, that 100% not 100 mg:eek:
    As he said this delivers enough nicotine for the average user to last over a year in a 15 ml bottle. If they don't kill themselves first. It came in an unmarked package and arrived unchecked or examined. The unintended consequence of over regulation.
    Just found the article, it's 99% but you get the idea!
    http://www.clivebates.com/?p=4017

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Probably flavours and zero nic stuff will be OK, though it depends on how far the definition of tobacco product is stretched. Nicotine bases is gone though.
    It will be interesting to see if they start opening parcels from China. Clive Bates did an experiment and ordered 100% nic from China, that 100% not 100 mg:eek:
    As he said this delivers enough nicotine for the average user to last over a year in a 15 ml bottle. If they don't kill themselves first. It came in an unmarked package and arrived unchecked or examined. The unintended consequence of over regulation.
    Just found the article, it's 99% but you get the idea!
    http://www.clivebates.com/?p=4017

That is scary! And this is what some will resort to, people don't like to be told what to do, and will always find other ways - but 100% nic is a huge no-no :/ one drop of that could kill you, and if not make you extremely ill. It would soak right through the skin and race through your bloodstream before you had time to think

Advertisement