Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin upload via Bluetooth question

Options
  • 29-07-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

Folks, apologies if this has been asked before (I did search but can't find anything).
    I have a new Garmin 1000. I've downloaded Garmin Connect mobile app, so I got the Garmin to talk to the phone via Bluetooth. So my activities on the Garmin are shown on the phone. But how do I get the phone to send the activities to Strava and my on-line Garmin Connect account?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If it's Android, and the same as the 920xt, you have to sign in to the Garmin Connect account in the App (if it'll work without signing in, sign in instead - under settings). That's it automatically synced with online Garmin Connect.

Again in Android, in "Settings", there's "3rd Party Apps" which should give you Strava as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I went to the Mobile App, then 'Settings' then 'Edge 1000 Settings' and 'Auto Upload' is selected. Maybe I just need to go on another ride and it will work !.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have you actually selected Strava as a 3rd party to upload to?' Auto upload' just ensures that your Garmin uploads to your phone.

Have you actually selected Strava as a 3rd party to upload to?' Auto upload' just ensures that your Garmin uploads to your phone.
    No I hadn't, but I have now. Thanks for that.

youtheman wrote: »
    I went to the Mobile App, then 'Settings' then 'Edge 1000 Settings' and 'Auto Upload' is selected. Maybe I just need to go on another ride and it will work !.
    It's before that. Looking at my android version of the app now, in Settings, the "3rd Party Apps" option is the one up from "forerunner 920 settings" - in there is Strava. Tap on that, and then iirc you have to enter your strava log on details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You might have to set Connect up in Strava too. Within Strava go to settings, Link Other Services and select Connect.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You might have to set Connect up in Strava too. Within Strava go to settings, Link Other Services and select Connect.
    My Strava is already linked to Connect as I have always just loaded the activity into Garmin Connect and it transfers to Strava automatically (but will double check as per your advice, thanks anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ah, so you've been managing fine transferring data to Strava with other devices on your account, the issue is only with your new one? That is strange.

For years I've been plugging my Garmin 500 into my desktop PC with an USB lead, downloading the activity onto Garmin Connect which automatically synchs with Strava. I've had a loan of a 1000 for a few months and I've been doing it the same way (via the USB lead). So today I tried to set it up to do it via the WiFi set up. So I managed to get the 1000 to synch with the Mobile App via Bluetooth. Wanted to then get the mobile app to synch with the computer (for Strava and Garmin Connect). I think I have it sorted now thanks to the advice I got here, but I suppose I won't know until 'I take her for a ride' (if you pardon the pun).

Thanks for all the advice. Have a nice weekend y'all.

youtheman wrote: »
    For years I've been plugging my Garmin 500 into my desktop PC with an USB lead, downloading the activity onto Garmin Connect which automatically synchs with Strava. I've had a loan of a 1000 for a few months and I've been doing it the same way (via the USB lead). So today I tried to set it up to do it via the WiFi set up. So I managed to get the 1000 to synch with the Mobile App via Bluetooth. Wanted to then get the mobile app to synch with the computer (for Strava and Garmin Connect). I think I have it sorted now thanks to the advice I got here, but I suppose I won't know until 'I take her for a ride' (if you pardon the pun).

Thanks for all the advice. Have a nice weekend y'all.
    There won't be any going back, so you may start saving if whoever lent you the 1000 wants it back!

I've been using the bluetooth function more recently anyway, but even with the sync over wifi, rides were up on strava before i'd even taken the water bottles off the bike and gone inside the house!

If they could just sort out sending the firmware updates over bluetooth...

• Advertisement
Advertisement