Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a 10 yr old fiesta, what loading?

Options
  • 29-07-2016 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

Am about to look up insurance for my car that will shortly be 10 yrs old, I have been told that it will be more expensive to insure,
    is this the case, or does this apply to certain types of cars,
    dont know the story here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some insurers are putting a loading on, some not covering at all, ring them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fbd are the only ones loading or refusing 10+ year old cars all the rest are the 14-15 year mark so ya shouldn't experience too much loading probably none at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

goat2 wrote: »
    Am about to look up insurance for my car that will shortly be 10 yrs old, I have been told that it will be more expensive to insure,
    is this the case, or does this apply to certain types of cars,
    dont know the story here

No loading on my wife's 13 year old car with Axa. I think that issue is being blown totally out of proportion. Younger or inexperienced drivers are really having a rough time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

which Insurers are not putting on a loading on these cars, I am hoping to get it insured by those who dont, since the car is going through nct, and in great shape, I have 20 yrs plus driving without accident or claim, I am hoping that this will bode well for me,
    I see cars that are 20 yrs old on road, these cars are kept well by owners and serviced regularly are spotless, cannot see where it is more dangerous to drive those cars, they were far better stronger and safer than some that are being sold new today
    I find with all the computerisation of the cars it makes it harder to find out and more expensive when a fault happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3 louthgirl70

It's a whole money racket in my opinion, I insured my 12 year old toyota with its4 woman.ie which was very competitive for comp insurance. They quote for men also.
    It makes me angry that other insurers want more to insure an older car , when all cars drive on the same roads with 4 wheels.
    This country is getting to hard on people that can't afford new cars, we have to pay higher road taxes and fork out for nct certs each year.
    Shop around for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I will shop around, I got litrature in post, it is from postinsurance.ie which says up to sixty percent off, will be interesting to see what they have to say, says twenty seven percent if i have penalty points, I did get some last year caught over speed limit, now that is a bummer, did not think there would be a catch like that, i have paid the fine

Advertisement