Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Clasica San Sebastian 220KM Saturday JUly 30

Options
  • 29-07-2016 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

For those suffering withdrawl symptoms after the Tour and who cant wait for the Olympics this is on tomorrow and has Irish interest with Dan & Nico both competing. 220km of lump with gradients up to 25%. Decent looking field racing this including Contador, Purito, Valverde, Mollema, Uran & Kruijswijk

Adam Yates returns to the race as defending champion, having taken his first WorldTour victory in the event last season. He goes into the race after an exceptional outing at the Tour de France, where he finished fourth overall and took the best young rider category on Sunday.

Simon Yates arrives at the event having won the Prueba Villafranca-Ordizia Klasika one-day race in Spain on Monday.

The pair will come up against a strong field, including Tour top 10 riders Richie Porte (BMC), Alejandro Valverde (Movistar), Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha) and Daniel Martin (Etixx-QuickStep).

clasica_san_sebastian_profile_2016_670.jpg

367f89de780d066c37e75c40438bb747ec079312.jpg

TV Time
    Eurosport - 14:30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

The final climbs will decide the race with many going for Valverde while the rest going for Purito

I think there may be another option ...an outsider

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

MPFGLB wrote: »
    The final climbs will decide the race with many going for Valverde while the rest going for Purito

I think there may be another option ...an outsider

Who is this outsider you like? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Remember what happened last year!! :eek:

WATSON_00004292-007-630x419.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

The motos dont count as competitors and that fred shouldnt have been in the middle ofthe road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Yeah, as far as I remember because of the external interference they nullified what happened afterwards and awarded the race to GVA.

• Advertisement

Nico's brand new bike for tomorrow! Does he get to keep it when he leaves Sky?

https://twitter.com/nicholasroche/status/759098189198884864

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nico's brand new bike for tomorrow! Does he get to keep it when he leaves Sky?

I'd suspect that bike is on its way to Rio, no? I'd guess he'll get to keep that one regardless.........he could always arrange for it to 'go missing' at the end of the year :cool::cool:

Here is the full start list:
    http://www.klasikoa.eus/en/2016/teams-and-riders/

I know a lot have raced the TdF and will be fatigued, but it is a phenomenal high quality field nonetheless.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I'd suspect that bike is on its way to Rio, no? I'd guess he'll get to keep that one regardless.........he could always arrange for it to 'go missing' at the end of the year :cool::cool:

Well he'll be using it in the Vuelta as well (fingers crossed!)

Nico's bike is at San Seb tomorrow ...

BMC will have to step up to get a better design and a better kit...

• Advertisement

Here is the full start list:
    http://www.klasikoa.eus/en/2016/teams-and-riders/

I know a lot have raced the TdF and will be fatigued, but it is a phenomenal high quality field nonetheless.

Tour de France riders are usually the best in this race....however some may need to keep something back for Rio

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

dont think that pinarello looks nice in white, the tri colour on a black frame look much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Tuned in about 30 mins ago. Looks like the most boring race of all time so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

MediaMan wrote: »
    Tuned in about 30 mins ago. Looks like the most boring race of all time so far...

Maybe so.
    They stuck in a 1 km donkey cart track in the final 10km that hits 25% in spots. So everybody is waiting to get to it and let's hope the fans or motorbikes don't do their worst again.
    A 210km spin to the finale...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Hard to begrudge Mollema his win after his strong Tour falling apart a bit towards the end. Looks like attacking as a climb becomes a descent is becoming the way to go.

As I said Nico in good form....in 6th over the top of climb

And Dan was not too far behind him

Looking not bad for the Olympics for both

But Nico coming into form so would look very good for the Vuleta if SKY bring him and give him freedom...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Ninth place for Roche. Not sure if he'll be happy with that, or will think he missed an opportunity for the podium. Didn't seem to have anything left to spare coming over the line that might have allowed him to do better in the closing stages.

MediaMan wrote: »
    Ninth place for Roche. Not sure if he'll be happy with that, or will think he missed an opportunity for the podium. Didn't seem to have anything left to spare coming over the line that might have allowed him to do better in the closing stages.

Not going to beat GVA, Brambilla, Slaghter, etc in a sprint

went after Yates & Purito and went backwards with Yates ....but as I said he has no Tour in the legs so not a bad race and looks very good for the Vuelta

Recorded it earlier, just finished watching it now.

Chapeau to Mollema. He made sure he was near the front at the summit, then gambled with the attack and it really paid off. Valverde, Gallopin and Rodriguez had done the hard work and got the gap back to six or so seconds with 3km of flat road left.... but they messed about and when Mollema got it back out to 10 seconds, he was never going to be caught.

Very good performance by Nico in my opinion with a ninth place finish. It was a top class field. And he looked wrecked at the end so can't ask for more. I thought Dan would have been up near the front on the final climb, bit it's hard to know what condition he is in. 12th place is not too bad though.

That last climb didn't work for me. There was far too big of a group at the start of it. The penultimate climb needs to be closer to it in order to break up the peloton.

Dan just didn't have the legs. I think we are looking good for the Olympics though.

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/759430867181862912

• Advertisement
Advertisement