Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to succeed at interview?

Options
  • 29-07-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

As August approaches, we will (those of us are job-seekers) be applying for posts and hopefully being called to interview and would like to get some advice.

I have worked in a lot of schools and in some for long periods, have been told that I do a good job, students get good results in exams, correct for SEC and have good references. Any post I apply for, I always get called to interview but am always unsuccessful. In interviews, I always seem to waffle or I feel that I do and sometimes I can't even remember the questions asked.

Is there anyone that can give me some advice? I always research the school, have my examples of classroom management, child protection, extra curricular etc. I was thinking of preparing a folder of resources that I could bring to interview a folder containing some of the resources I have made for my classes from first to LC - is this a good idea/acceptable - I was told that you should be able to sell yourself without bringing anything to interview. With relation to the school ethos question - would it be possible to bring the school ethos on a printed sheet with some words highlighted in order to answer 'how you would teach with the school ethos in mind?'

I always feel downhearted when I receive another letter of regret and wonder is it me or was the job gone before I attended for interview?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I hear you! Think as time goes by I'm actually getting worse at interviews. I've lost that cocktail self assurance I had going into the interview and think now the amount of schools on my cv rather than being a bonus in terms of experience is actually starting to worry me. Last year I got a job (mat leave for the year) late into sept and the deputy who interviewed me said I'd a fantastic cv and got glowing reports from my referees and he couldn't see why I hadn't more full time work. Had a slim hope of big kept on but hours advertised were in a different combination to my 2nd subject and the successful candidate has irish and the school are rolling out a gaelcolaiste so I knew my chances were slim. Honestly what do principals think? If a candidate has been out say more than 5 years are they kinda written off in terms of 'if they were any good they'd have a school by now' or is there hope for long term freelancers as I've heard my situation described before.
    Op chin up and good luck with the interviews over the coming weeks. Sorry I've no real advice but you're certainly not on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

As August approaches, we will (those of us are job-seekers) be applying for posts and hopefully being called to interview and would like to get some advice.

I have worked in a lot of schools and in some for long periods, have been told that I do a good job, students get good results in exams, correct for SEC and have good references. Any post I apply for, I always get called to interview but am always unsuccessful. In interviews, I always seem to waffle or I feel that I do and sometimes I can't even remember the questions asked.

Is there anyone that can give me some advice? I always research the school, have my examples of classroom management, child protection, extra curricular etc. I was thinking of preparing a folder of resources that I could bring to interview a folder containing some of the resources I have made for my classes from first to LC - is this a good idea/acceptable - I was told that you should be able to sell yourself without bringing anything to interview. With relation to the school ethos question - would it be possible to bring the school ethos on a printed sheet with some words highlighted in order to answer 'how you would teach with the school ethos in mind?'

I always feel downhearted when I receive another letter of regret and wonder is it me or was the job gone before I attended for interview?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sometimes the job is just gone , been there :(
    IMO -would not bring materials and resources and focus more on potential interview questions and as you mentioned research school etc

Listen extremely carefully to each question , pause and engage your answer ( less waffle). Rehearse your " teaching story" - is it coherent and professional ?
    Cv gets you to the interview, the interview gets you the job.

NB NB NB good prior references.

Maybe role play Q/A with a friend so you are relaxed and confident?
    Best of luck, not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

You seem well prepared as it is.
    However, in some sectors you are on a wild goose chase as perhaps the person sitting beside you for interview has already been earmarked for the job. I have been on both sides of that divide. I would second what Frankly says above too. Have also sat on both sides of interview table so would suggest to eliminate any waffle. It is embarrassing, really embarrassing to listen to and does you no favours. At the end when invited to ask questions don't be afraid to ask down to earth questions: How many students exactly will be in the class? How many teachers are on the staff? Are the classes I am taking well behaved? Have any been suspended? And so on. I personally become more engaged with a candidate who wants to know the answers to questions like these as opposed to any question about for example, the ethos of the school.

Although schools are required to keep a breakdown of the scores for the interview, in reality I ask myself a few fundamental questions before completing the scores:do I think I can work with this person? will this person fit in?

Be upfront, honest, direct and if you can't address a question just say so and don't bullsh1t through it. The panel will appreciate that more than you know and remember you.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

This thread completely describes me. I'm always complemented on my CV and I have the experience behind me but I am so rarely successful at interview that I say things like "...really??" when I am actually offered a job.

This summer I have had 3 interviews with a local ETB that hasn't hired me once in 5 years of interviewing with them. I must be doing something right to get the interview but I rarely leave an interview feeling successful.

My references look good on paper and I hope they're as nice on the phone but who knows. I have extensive experience of teaching my subject at all levels except LCHL, taking on pastoral roles, accompanying school trips, helping out at charity events and even the odd extra curricular. I think my inability to give on the spot examples is a big negative in interviews. I know I've done this **** but then I waffle instead of giving examples. Timing is also an issue with my answers.

Still I do notice improvement from one interview to the next, and they really are the best experience you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sometimes the job is just gone , been there :(
    IMO -would not bring materials and resources and focus more on potential interview questions and as you mentioned research school etc

Listen extremely carefully to each question , pause and engage your answer ( less waffle). Rehearse your " teaching story" - is it coherent and professional ?
    Cv gets you to the interview, the interview gets you the job.

NB NB NB good prior references.

Maybe role play Q/A with a friend so you are relaxed and confident?
    Best of luck, not easy.

Well the idea behind the resources is to describe the materials for questions like 'what was your best class?' / 'what resources can you bring to the department?' etc. It might stop me waffling. I have never brought resources, I was just wondering if anyone else did.

• Advertisement

You seem well prepared as it is.
    However, in some sectors you are on a wild goose chase as perhaps the person sitting beside you for interview has already been earmarked for the job. I have been on both sides of that divide. I would second what Frankly says above too. Have also sat on both sides of interview table so would suggest to eliminate any waffle. It is embarrassing, really embarrassing to listen to and does you no favours. At the end when invited to ask questions don't be afraid to ask down to earth questions: How many students exactly will be in the class? How many teachers are on the staff? Are the classes I am taking well behaved? Have any been suspended? And so on. I personally become more engaged with a candidate who wants to know the answers to questions like these as opposed to any question about for example, the ethos of the school.

Although schools are required to keep a breakdown of the scores for the interview, in reality I ask myself a few fundamental questions before completing the scores:do I think I can work with this person? will this person fit in?

Be upfront, honest, direct and if you can't address a question just say so and don't bullsh1t through it. The panel will appreciate that more than you know and remember you.

I actually did this at the last interview - how many students in school/number teachers in the department/my subject is optional but important - how the school encourage students to do the subject as its a language/there are two languages, what happens if a student wants to change language after a month/taster weeks etc. It actually felt good to ask all these questions.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    This thread completely describes me. I'm always complemented on my CV and I have the experience behind me but I am so rarely successful at interview that I say things like "...really??" when I am actually offered a job.

This summer I have had 3 interviews with a local ETB that hasn't hired me once in 5 years of interviewing with them. I must be doing something right to get the interview but I rarely leave an interview feeling successful.

My references look good on paper and I hope they're as nice on the phone but who knows. I have extensive experience of teaching my subject at all levels except LCHL, taking on pastoral roles, accompanying school trips, helping out at charity events and even the odd extra curricular. I think my inability to give on the spot examples is a big negative in interviews. I know I've done this **** but then I waffle instead of giving examples. Timing is also an issue with my answers.

Still I do notice improvement from one interview to the next, and they really are the best experience you can get.

I don't trust ETBs - those posts are already earmarked. I'm interviewing the same length of time and would love something of my own at this stage. I suppose we do improve after every interview but I just feel like I've been kicked in the stomach especially when I get the letter of regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

To be fair to ETBs it just depends on the job in question not necessarily whether it's a secondary or ETB. I have gotten my job in and ETB without a single contact in the county. The biggest issue with unsuccessful interviews are the ones where there is someone in situ. It's incredibly difficult to oust someone who is in the job. For example I got my job in the summer with the ETB. I was reinterviewed by the full panel in November. At least two other candidates were interviewed for my job when in reality I'd want to have ****ed up royally to not get to keep it.

It's particularly bad since the obligatory re-interviews with the ward report

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have interviewed lots of people for lots of jobs. People already in a job of course have an advantage but that's also rare. If 20 people walk into my office, its usually very obvious which 2-3 are even in with a chance. No matter how good a CV looks, its somewhat obvious which teacher would be the best teacher and this comes through any preparation

TheDriver wrote: »
    I have interviewed lots of people for lots of jobs. People already in a job of course have an advantage but that's also rare. If 20 people walk into my office, its usually very obvious which 2-3 are even in with a chance. No matter how good a CV looks, its somewhat obvious which teacher would be the best teacher and this comes through any preparation

Just wondering what is your opinion of bringing in resources/notes to interview? I haven't done it but I seem to be waffling trying to explain what I'm doing. An example: if I was asked to explain how I would encourage students to use the target language in the classroom, well primarily it would be classroom instruction, but I have also created a game (similar to headbands) where students choose a card and have to guess what object they are - this has been a successful class for me with fifth years and I also tried it with my second years who were able to handle it well and enjoyed it. Would it be a good name to bring this in to show panel? Also, write/print out school ethos etc. and when asked how you would teach according to its ethos - use the main aspects e.g. respect/individuality etc.

• Advertisement

Just wondering what is your opinion of bringing in resources/notes to interview? I haven't done it but I seem to be waffling trying to explain what I'm doing. An example: if I was asked to explain how I would encourage students to use the target language in the classroom, well primarily it would be classroom instruction, but I have also created a game (similar to headbands) where students choose a card and have to guess what object they are - this has been a successful class for me with fifth years and I also tried it with my second years who were able to handle it well and enjoyed it. Would it be a good name to bring this in to show panel? Also, write/print out school ethos etc. and when asked how you would teach according to its ethos - use the main aspects e.g. respect/individuality etc.

I have seen people bring in things to an interview and it can work both ways: a concise 20 sec is enough (if appropriate to do so) but some people waffle for ages with the resources and bore the socks off the panel which shows they would probably do the same in a classroom.
    School ethos is important because it at least shows you researched the school. I have called people for interview who forgot they applied (and told me that.....).
    Like I said, you would be shocked at the stuff I have seen and heard in an interview.
    And lastly, dress appropriately or else it says you'll also dress inappropriately in a classroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The best interview advice I can give is to get on extremely well in the school you sub at, and try not to go to the principle if possible with issues, show you can handle them yourself (not always possible of course) and try and stay removed from office politics. Some permanent teachers love to bítch about the principle, school etc.

Then when a job comes up...

Because unlike almost any other profession out there the job is almost always allocated before the fresh CVs are reviewed.

Because unlike almost any other profession out there the job is almost always allocated before the fresh CVs are reviewed.

This is always thrown around but to be honest, it isn't the case from the various Principals that I would be in contact with (except of course in year 2 CID interviews).

TheDriver wrote: »
    This is always thrown around but to be honest, it isn't the case from the various Principals that I would be in contact with (except of course in year 2 CID interviews).

Just the combined feedback from my friends that are school teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My experience before Ward was summer interviews tended to genuine, term time interviews were a bit of a toss up as there could be a sub in place already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The best interview advice I can give is to get on extremely well in the school you sub at, and try not to go to the principle if possible with issues, show you can handle them yourself (not always possible of course) and try and stay removed from office politics. Some permanent teachers love to bítch about the principle, school etc.

Then when a job comes up...

The job is not almost always gone. This is so untrue. It is used as a handy excuse by people who don't get jobs to make themselves feel better. Same as all etb's are evil.

Yes some jobs are gone for various reasons. The ward report has really skewed things recently. However I know of several cases where the person in the position didn't get kept on after the ward report second interview.
    There are cases where a relation might get a job. It might be that is because they are related or it might be because they are the best candidate. But from 10 years teaching across maybe 6 schools and even more principals I could count on one hand the amount of times I have actually experienced this happening.

The same people who complain about jobs being already gone are the ones upset when they don't get a job in a school they have subbed in.

It is not the schools, the etb's, or the principals fault that they have to hold year 2 interviews. I'm sure there are plenty other things they could be doing in June if they are happy with someone who has done a good job for a year.

For interviews it is practice practice practice. Not necessarily learn lines off by heart but practice being questioned by someone that knows the score. Get them to give you feedback where to improve then practice again.
    Write out your answers make them concise and cover the things you want to show without waffle. Then purely practice sticking to the script for want of a better term.

You will learn little from official feedback from interviews. You don't know if the scores are there to suit or whether they are real or not.
    I previously visited a company that deals with recruitment and found it very good. I found it embarrassing but was glad I did it after.

I have never heard of anyone bringing in the ethos printed out before. It is not something I would do personally. Realistically from interview to interview 95% of your answers are going to be the same so you don't have too much new material to learn off. Try to get examples of where you can promote the ethos. So if they are strongly religious and into helping the community what things have you done before linked to helping the community.

In relation to bringing resources to an interview I again have never done it but know a couple of people that have. I know of one set of interviews where it specifically said no resources and someone still brought something.
    As people have said if you do don't rely on it for everything it might be the display for one answer like how would you teach a difficult boring topic to a LC group. More than likely the resource won't be mentioned again so don't think it will be the thing to get you through.

seavill wrote: »
    It is used as a handy excuse by people who don't get jobs to make themselves feel better.

I've had almost as many conversations with people that GOT the job saying it was theirs already.

The rest, TL/DR

I've had almost as many conversations with people that GOT the job saying it was theirs already.

The rest, TL/DR

Well maybe before you give us more of your in depth knowledge of the education world you might read the rest of the post and be helpful to the topic of the thread.

How many people have you spoken to in each case as a matter of interest?

And if you had been arsed to read the rest you would have see. That I acknowledged that jobs are already gone to people already in those positions sometimes and sometimes to relations if the principal but these are extremely rare occasions.
    Obviously you will have spoken to more people than I know to be able to contradict further. :rolleyes:

Well maybe before you give us more of your in depth knowledge of the education world you might read the rest of the post and be helpful to the topic of the thread.

I'd read enough to know we had our own biases
    How many people have you spoken to in each case as a matter of interest?

My wife, her college friends and her fellow teachers from various placings. She herself benefited from already being in a particular school long enough to get the job that came up. I've never got around to counting.

Obviously you will have spoken to more people than I know to be able to contradict further. rolleyes.png

Fantastic wit, if I were 12 I'd be giggling.

I'd read enough to know we had our own biases

My wife, her college friends and her fellow teachers from various placings. She herself benefited from already being in a particular school long enough to get the job that came up. I've never got around to counting.

Fantastic wit, if I were 12 I'd be giggling.

Obviously not enough to read what I actually said. I agreed with you that many jobs were gone.

The 'principAL' in 95% of cases will want the best person for the job. Their life is difficult enough without hiring people who are not good enough as every problem lands back on their desk anyway. The odd occasion there is nepotism but from actual experience in the education sector that is a rare occurrence from any school I have worked in.

There is nothing wrong with someone who has been in a job for a while keeping it if they are good at it.

However your earlier point jobs are "almost always" gone already is factually incorrect

• Advertisement

The 'principAL'

And who says teachers don't work during the summer. Thanks.

Our anecdotal experience differs, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I didn't mean to say anything bad about the ETB in question, was just pointing out my own lack of success rate. Other posters seems to have taken my comments and run with them, making very general remarks about ETBs. I have found every ETB to be different in interview. They have different priorities and approaches, but the local ETB I mentioned have been nothing but fair to me.

The Ward Report is making things seem more difficult, but jobs aren't been advertised as Ward Report re-interview so you have no way of knowing if someone has had that job for the last year. It's just another excuse and another way the interview could go against you. I have been as guilty of it as anyone else. For someone like me, who goes from one Maternity Leave to the next it is really disheartening to see someone walk out of college and go straight into a RPT contract. That is just the nature of the job but you can't go into an interview with the defeatist attitude that the job is never going to be your.

I'm fairly sure that's why the OP started a thread looking for interview tips and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

I went for two ETB interviews last week for further education posts. Both were very formal and demanding. I find it very worrying to think that the positions are already gone but I would imagine that if they were, the panel would not have put such effort into interviewing me. They really grilled me and they had obviously done some background research on me too because they knew stuff I didn't tell them on my CV or at the interview ... I assume through Facebook or a company website. As regards interview technique, I just think that it's best to be honest and don't try to spoof but do your research beforehand and have your answers ready for the typical questions, and be able to give examples of your achievements and skills. Be polite, confident, enthusiastic and try to show a bit of humour ... even if they are a bit stuffy. Anyway, if I don't anything from the interviews I did just do the opposite to everything I said .. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

From my own experience it's simple enough to be successful. My first rpt I actually got over the person in the job so the jobs already gone thing can in some cases be just hearsay. Something was always missing I felt from my cv so I began volunteering and doing cpd courses even when I wasn't working. I joined my subject associations and climbed as far as I could with the SEC, DEB and Examcraft. I got involved with the youth service and in general took an interest in my own community. If I wasn't teaching I was doing grinds and I approached the principal of my local primary school (I know her very well) and did activities on my off time there.

I set goals for a masters and PhD in education and completed them. I did a diploma in youth and community work too (any courses will show your dedication to your job and willingness to learn and always improve on what you have)

It's always going to be teaching experience and the challenges you faced. Don't always have it be positive, state an experience and what you learned from it and how you have improve because of it.
    Ethos- I love this one because you can really go into your own personal take of the mission statement of the school and apply it to you as a person and as a teacher and role model.
    Extracurricular is a great one and you could start something completely different in the school- one year I did blogging with the kids and the benefits for them were digital literacy, writing skills etc. In another school it was getting a musical group set up, another it was chess and gaming at lunch where the school had old TVs and he kids set up their own consoles on w, at lunch and I sat with them.
    Your personal goals and successs and strengths and weaknesses.
    Discipline is a favourite of mine.
    SEN, just get involved in resource. I learned how to do IEPs in one school and used my skills from there to develop the resource department in another school.

If you want to pm me do, it's all about the ideas and how you will implement them. And turning the questions around to suit you. You always have to be the winner in the conversation.

I was coached well because I have principals in my family but also because I developed great relationships with the principals that I worked for. I went out of my way a few times when they may have needed help and it paid off. I always asked for a meeting with them at the end of a contract and asked them for feedback or how I could be better. One principal rearranged my cv, one gave me great advice for the etb application forms and cover letters and another guy gave me an hour of his time to go through interview techniques.

I know a lot of principals may not do this but even asking them after you've worked with them shows you've interest in what you are doing.

Everything, no matter how small you may think adds up and can be used in an interview-even having spare copies and pens for the kids, that shows how dedicated you are!

wow what a post fair play, I would imagine extremely helpful to many

wow what a post fair play, I would imagine extremely helpful to many

I hope so :)

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    From my own experience it's simple enough to be successful. My first rpt I actually got over the person in the job so the jobs already gone thing can in some cases be just hearsay. Something was always missing I felt from my cv so I began volunteering and doing cpd courses even when I wasn't working. I joined my subject associations and climbed as far as I could with the SEC, DEB and Examcraft. I got involved with the youth service and in general took an interest in my own community. If I wasn't teaching I was doing grinds and I approached the principal of my local primary school (I know her very well) and did activities on my off time there.

I set goals for a masters and PhD in education and completed them. I did a diploma in youth and community work too.

It's always going to be teaching experience and the challenges you faced. Don't always have it be positive, state an experience and what you learned from it and how you have improve because of it.
    Ethos- I love this one because you can really go into your own personal take of the mission statement of the school and apply it to you as a person and as a teacher and role model.
    Extracurricular is a great one and you could start something completely different in the school- one year I did blogging with the kids and the benefits for them were digital literacy, writing skills etc. In another school it was getting a musical group set up, another it was chess and gaming at lunch where the school had old TVs and he kids set up their own consoles on w, at lunch and I sat with them.
    Your personal goals and successs and strengths and weaknesses.
    Discipline is a favourite of mine.
    SEN, just get involved in resource. I learned how to do IEPs in one school and used my skills from there to develop the resource department in another school.

If you want to pm me do, it's all about the ideas and how you will implement them. And turning the questions around to suit you. You always have to be the winner in the conversation.

I was coached well because I have principals in my family but also because I developed great relationships with the principals that I worked for. I went out of my way a few times when they may have needed help and it paid off. I always asked for a meeting with them at the end of a contract and asked them for feedback or how I could be better. One principal rearranged my cv, one gave me great advice for the etb application forms and cover letters and another guy gave me an hour of his time to go through interview techniques.

I know a lot of principals may not do this but even asking them after you've worked with them shows you've interest in what you are doing.

Everything, no matter how small you may think adds up and can be used in an interview-even having spare copies and pens for the kids, that shows how dedicated you are!

Thanks for the reply. I think you are one of the lucky ones who thinks getting an rpt is easy. Like you I have worked for the SEC and a member of my subject association. I would love to get involved in youth work but as I couldn't commit as I could be working away/commuting long hours and may need some hours to myself if working, I don't start something without finishing and not letting anyone down. I did adult literacy a few years ago and would like to get back into it whenever I have some stability career wise.

Fair play to you on your qualifications.

I'm always called for interview so I'm presuming my CV/letter of application/application form is good and I also got someone to check it for me a while back. I looked into interview coaching with a retired principal but it is extremely expensive - I know it may be worth it but I have to hold onto what I have at the moment.

I do get on well with any principals I work with, hence my good references.

Thanks again for your post, it informed me and I'm sure it will others.

Thanks for the reply. I think you are one of the lucky ones who thinks getting an rpt is easy. Like you I have worked for the SEC and a member of my subject association. I would love to get involved in youth work but as I couldn't commit as I could be working away/commuting long hours and may need some hours to myself if working, I don't start something without finishing and not letting anyone down. I did adult literacy a few years ago and would like to get back into it whenever I have some stability career wise.

Fair play to you on your qualifications.

I'm always called for interview so I'm presuming my CV/letter of application/application form is good and I also got someone to check it for me a while back. I looked into interview coaching with a retired principal but it is extremely expensive - I know it may be worth it but I have to hold onto what I have at the moment.

I do get on well with any principals I work with, hence my good references.

Thanks again for your post, it informed me and I'm sure it will others.

If you're always called for interview that's massive, most people don't even have that so you're already impressing them with everything already. It's so expensive to get coaching and I'm really lucky that my relations were at the other end of a phone for me because I couldn't afford it. it wasn't until I started having confidence in myself and in what I was saying that I started getting the jobs. I think self belief is a huge thing and so many people lose it when they walk through the door and sit down with a panel. I've found the etbs to be easier to work with especially if you're on the sub panel because you can build up your rep and that's all it is. The hardest interview I ever did was one for a department school because I had been working between two etbs since I had my degree and it was the only system I knew. The interviews were more or less the sa,e questions over and over again but to get the points you needed the cpd to be high and to be actively looking for further education. People forget that all adds up. Your adult literacy is a great thing to chat about and shows your interest even further in education. I was lucky with the youth service foroige had just started but even the Red Cross or Order of Malta or any community thing is a major bonus. Those references are something you can always bring up too in the interview. You're on the right track and the right school is out there. Every interview is practice for the next.

I had subbed in my school before my job came up and knew that's where I wanted to be so I really got involved in every aspect that I could to impress. Just a point to note my rpt when i started first was for 7 hours and it built up over the 4 years to 22 hours so don't lose hope on those jobs, apply for everything.

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    If you're always called for interview that's massive, most people don't even have that so you're already impressing them with everything already. It's so expensive to get coaching and I'm really lucky that my relations were at the other end of a phone for me because I couldn't afford it. it wasn't until I started having confidence in myself and in what I was saying that I started getting the jobs. I think self belief is a huge thing and so many people lose it when they walk through the door and sit down with a panel. I've found the etbs to be easier to work with especially if you're on the sub panel because you can build up your rep and that's all it is. The hardest interview I ever did was one for a department school because I had been working between two etbs since I had my degree and it was the only system I knew. The interviews were more or less the sa,e questions over and over again but to get the points you needed the cpd to be high and to be actively looking for further education. People forget that all adds up. Your adult literacy is a great thing to chat about and shows your interest even further in education. I was lucky with the youth service foroige had just started but even the Red Cross or Order of Malta or any community thing is a major bonus. Those references are something you can always bring up too in the interview. You're on the right track and the right school is out there. Every interview is practice for the next.

I had subbed in my school before my job came up and knew that's where I wanted to be so I really got involved in every aspect that I could to impress. Just a point to note my rpt when i started first was for 7 hours and it built up over the 4 years to 22 hours so don't lose hope on those jobs, apply for everything.

Thank you for your brilliant posts - you're making me feel better. I've been researching the questions/topics I and other posters have mentioned. Maybe it is my preparation - I used to spend a lot of time doing this when I graduated but because of all the rejection from interviews, I suppose I gave up researching. Now I always looked at the school website but I didn't really study it. I think with my research and your posts I am finding my confidence again and that I have something to offer any school. I will keep that in mind but I hate overselling myself (looking/sounding big headed) - I'm the quite mouse who works quietly and hates any fuss - I guess I'll have to change that if I want to get a job of my own.

I do have to agree that the few ETB interviews I had were a little bit easier than the dept interviews. I also felt after some of them that I didn't waffle as much. The only thing is, I have only have limited experience working in ETB schools and the ETBs seem to mark me down in the experience section as a result.

At this stage, I would be happy with a four hour rpt because it would be a start and like you, it would be a foot into a school.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

Just my own point of view here

Ive sat on interview panels both in teaching and in my other life on committees

The thing that strikes me a lot nowadays is the individualistic style of teachers.....candidates who emphasise their capacity to function as part of a team always stand out....because at the end of the day teachers aren't lone wolves any more but are part of a pack.

Secondly teachers are terrible ( and i Know its a generalisation) at self promotion...it may be due to the point above about blending with a group but at the same time how many times have teachers deflected praise and gratitude for a students achievements with phrases such as they did all the work...or thats what we do. We fail to celebrate our success. In interviews it is possible to outline success without being boastful...the opportunity arises in situational questions.

Finally after reading multiple CVs and doing a number of interviews the members of the panel need to be able to remember you at the end of the session...find your usp and make sure it is heard....you will remain in the minds of the decision makers and thats a good thing. If i struggle to remember you in the midst of the applicants then the chances are i won't be bringing you up in discussions as the panel comes to a consensus

Advertisement