Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Linux for Desktop PCs still as good?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

OSI wrote: »
    Has this ever happened? I can't in ten years of using OS X remember ever having functionality removed.

Hardware functionality, yes. drives/ports requiring "attachments" purchased separately etc even in their phones they're now pulling out things like the ear phone jack etc. Again, vendor lock in any form is not good.
    OSI wrote: »
    It's basically BSD. If the software will run on a Linux desktop it will run on OS X.

Having a BSD TCP/IP stack doesn't make something basically the same thing. With a huge amount of hackery and messing which you previously wanted to avoid I could probably switch to gnome/KDE on OSX. Where on Linux I'm free to install and remove whatever I want. In order for OSX to function that's just not possible. So it's not just a case of it runs on Linux it will run on OSX. If there' s a port obviously. but there's just not the abundance of easy to install applicaions for OSX as there is Linux/BSD

Advertisement