Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning class - cramps

Options
  • 29-07-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I started spinning classes in May. I do it 2 to 3 days a week. I am 50 years of age. Tonight I was spinning and embarrassingly I got cramps in my left lower leg after 30 minutes. I had to stop. I got cramps in my right lower leg a week ago, but I kept it at bay, and I was able to finish out.
    The only thing about tonight was that I hadn't been walking much between the last class and this one, and before tonight's class, I ate some chocolate and had a sandwich. Would the food be a contributing factor ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had to ease off about 30k into a cycle this evening because i could feel cramps coming on. one difference with the cycle was i was trying to spend a bit more time out of the saddle this evening, but i don't know if that was a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

i had to ease off about 30k into a cycle this evening because i could feel cramps coming on. one difference with the cycle was i was trying to spend a bit more time out of the saddle this evening, but i don't know if that was a factor.

I went into the class tonight a bit late, so I was into the heavy stuff early on. There's a section of the class when the instructor says to try and complete 3km in 4 minutes, and use any gear on the exercise bike that you like. That's when I started getting the cramps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hydration and stretching!

Those spin classes make you sweat a lot, so hydrating before, during and after is key. Adding some electrolytes to your water can help with cramping too. Stretching after your class will help aid recovery and ease aching muscles. If you find that your beginning to cramp while pushing hard on the pedals then ease off a little - the loud music and buzz spinning with others may push some to go beyond what is normally comfortable. Go at your own pace - the instructor should not demand a certain level if your not ready for it.

Your still new to spinning so I'd imagine your body will get use to the rigour of classes a few times a week. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I went into the class tonight a bit late, so I was into the heavy stuff early on. There's a section of the class when the instructor says to try and complete 3km in 4 minutes, and use any gear on the exercise bike that you like. That's when I started getting the cramps

That effort equates to 45kmph for 4 minutes. If you are on a spinbike that speed my not be road accurate but is that an effort you are capable of holding for 4 minutes? Sounds like he is asking you to perform efforts beyond your capabilities and you should cut that effort back to 2 - 2.5km for 4 mins. Training on the bike is very individual and targets like this cannot be applied across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

How do you add electrolytes to water?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    That effort equates to 45kmph for 4 minutes. If you are on a spinbike that speed my not be road accurate
    i was thinking the very same thing myself. i'd barely be able to hold 45 on a flat road for more than a few seconds i suspect. wouldn't even guess as to whether that would be 5 seconds or 20 seconds or whatever, i don't think i've ever tried it.

Chuchote wrote: »

Salt, I believe.....yuk

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    That effort equates to 45kmph for 4 minutes. If you are on a spinbike that speed my not be road accurate but is that an effort you are capable of holding for 4 minutes? Sounds like he is asking you to perform efforts beyond your capabilities and you should cut that effort back to 2 - 2.5km for 4 mins. Training on the bike is very individual and targets like this cannot be applied across the board.

I can do 3.2kph in five minutes but never in four minutes. But the cramp started at the very start of this bit last night

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Chuchote wrote: »

http://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/zero

You'll find it in any bike shop and even Aldi or Lidl sometimes.

Drink one pre class, one during and maybe even one after.

To all intents and purposes though, it sounds like your body is telling you that you're pushing it too hard so easing off the gas and accepting you're not Froome (yet) may help you more.

Also stretch. Cycling tightens hamstrings. Walking would go a long way resolving that. Or running if you're so inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Before Gatorade etc invented a solution to a non existant problem we got electrolytes from a decent diet and some table salt.

OP wasn't warmed up and went into a high intensity workout after a sedentary week. I'd correct that before worrying about salts.

30mins is at most 400 call and about 400ml of water demand. OP hydration levels must have been pretty shocking prior to starting if hydration is cause of his cramp.

I've yet to hear of someone getting cramps at low intensity irrespective of the duration. I regularly do 100km plus spin and come back with 750ml bottle not near empty. I've got before cramps but always where my training was insufficient for same event in terms of intensity work.

I'll say one thing for sports drinks companies;their products are at best unnecessary in most circumstances but their marketing is top drawer.

http://sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-i/

• Advertisement

I drink roughly 4 x 650 ml bottles of water a day at work....I bring one 650 ml of water to spinning class and I always finish the bottle by the end of the 40 minute class. My cramping started at around 32 minutes last night. It was after a strenuous section where I was on gear 21 standing for around 2 minutes. The instructor then asked that we try and do 3km in 4 minutes "whatever way you wish". I had done the 3km in 5 minutes the previous Sunday on a very low gear. I was trying to beat that last night when the cramp set it. I put it down to lack of warm up more than anything else. I'll rectify that before I go to spinning class tomorrow. Thanks for all the helpful advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Ally Dick.

Don't mind what other posters do regarding their own hydration. If your cramping then your body needs the extra salts and minerals that are not present in plain auld water. The High 5 tablets mentioned above are very good - I use them myself. Perhaps fill another bottle to have handy if your getting through one bottle before the class ends.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-ii/

Whatever you do ignore the science including the two studies reviewed in above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

It's nothing to do with hydration or warm up or stretching. This stuff stops them.

http://www.teamhotshot.com/

avoid dairy 1/2 hour before and during exercise, very sour or tangy sweets can help too (or cider vinegar/pickle juice mouthwash but that's putrid), like sour gums etc. But the stuff above stops them in their tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Thanks ford2600 - fascinating articles.

nonsense to this hydration stuff. you're not doing enough novenas or decades of the rosary.

Advertisement