Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer to Pension Retirement Bond?

• 29-07-2016 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some advice please. I had a defined contribution pension scheme with a previous employer and left the company over a year ago. The agent who set up the pension has advised me to transfer my current fund to a Pension Retirement Bond as it gives me complete control over it (and removes any control from the previous employer). I know I can also leave it as it currently is. I don't know a whole lot about pensions and I'm just wondering if there is benefit to doing as he says?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

In most cases if you leave it with the DC scheme the employer continues to pay the charges.

You can run into troubles with a PRB to buy an annuity if you emigrate to another country before taking the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Merowig wrote: »
    In most cases if you leave it with the DC scheme the employer continues to pay the charges.

You can run into troubles with a PRB to buy an annuity if you emigrate to another country before taking the pension.

Thank you for your reply. That's interesting about the charges, I must check that out.

Even if you pay charges for the DC scheme they are often lower than something you can get on the market because of buying power of the employer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

There is no problem purchasing an annuity from PRB.

MHTC is correct charges tend to be lower in DC scheme so weigh this up. Broker is correct in saying it is in your own name but employer sponsored scheme would have Trustee/s who should be acting in members interest where PRB doesn't.

Main question is why is broker advising a transfer to PRB from DC Scheme. Have you asked this? There tend to be commission paid on transfers to PRB I'd hope thjis isnt reason but can be.

There is no problem purchasing an annuity from PRB.
    As said in case you emigrate and are not a resident of Ireland you can have apparently problems

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/cannot-buy-irish-annuity-because-i%E2%80%99m-non-resident.198468/

I agree with you on the other point - most likely there is comission involved here

• Advertisement
Advertisement