Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer account

Options
  • 29-07-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hello,
    I need to set up an electricity account as the account is in my room mate's name who is moving out. Is it possible to transfer an account? I saw that to set up an account you need to pay a €300 deposit or pay using direct debit. If you transfer the account do you still have to pay the deposit (if you don't pay by DD) as I have never had an account?
    Regarding the deposit - when is this returned? What are the conditions of return or are there ever any problems with the full return of the deposit?
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi Wanderer41,

Thank you for getting in touch.

A new customer will need to pay a security deposit of €300 unless they pay by direct debit or opt for a Pay As You Go meter. This deposit will be credited to the Electric Ireland account after fourteen months or seven clear bills. Once the bill on the account on that time has been paid, the customer can then request a cheque refund or leave the credit be applied to any further bills. If an account is closed prior to this time, the deposit will be credited against the final bill.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Hi Wanderer41,

A new customer will need to pay a security deposit of €300 unless they pay by direct debit or opt for a Pay As You Go meter. This deposit will be credited to the Electric Ireland account after fourteen months or seven clear bills. Once the bill on the account on that time has been paid, the customer can then request a cheque refund or leave the credit be applied to any further bills. If an account is closed prior to this time, the deposit will be credited against the final bill.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________
    Thank you, I will probably go for the direct debit then. How is the price of the direct debit decided? Is there an option to switch to non-direct debit payment after a certain length of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again Wanderer41,

Thanks for your post.

Direct debit is for the bill approximately every two months. The bill is issued two weeks before the direct debit is collected.

ESB Networks read the meter for the scheduled bills (for customers of all electricity providers) - they aim to read the meter for four out of the six annually, and the remaining bills are estimated. Whenever you receive an estimated bill, we can correct it if you send in a meter-reading (ensure to do so immediately for sufficient notice to the bank).

If the direct debit date does not suit, we can change it no problem or set up a payment plan (again, once the customer contacts us immediately on receipt of their bill, as the bank requires significant notice).

There are savings for customers who pay by direct debit and have Online Billing - if you contact our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90 they can organise this for you, and set up your direct debit (we cannot set up direct debit here on Social Media).

A new customer is required to pay 14 months of cleared bills by direct debit before they can cancel their direct debit and not incur the security deposit.

If you have any further queries, do let us know.

Una

________

Hi again Wanderer41,

Thanks for your post.

Direct debit is for the bill approximately every two months. The bill is issued two weeks before the direct debit is collected.

ESB Networks read the meter for the scheduled bills (for customers of all electricity providers) - they aim to read the meter for four out of the six annually, and the remaining bills are estimated. Whenever you receive an estimated bill, we can correct it if you send in a meter-reading (ensure to do so immediately for sufficient notice to the bank).

If the direct debit date does not suit, we can change it no problem or set up a payment plan (again, once the customer contacts us immediately on receipt of their bill, as the bank requires significant notice).

There are savings for customers who pay by direct debit and have Online Billing - if you contact our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90 they can organise this for you, and set up your direct debit (we cannot set up direct debit here on Social Media).

A new customer is required to pay 14 months of cleared bills by direct debit before they can cancel their direct debit and not incur the security deposit.

If you have any further queries, do let us know.

Una

________
    Thank you for your help. One more question, as I am a new customer I will be signing up to direct debit to avoid the €300 security deposit. After how long can I switch to payment other than direct debit and still avoid the deposit?

Hi again Wanderer41,

A new customer who pays by direct debit can cancel their direct debit (without incurring the security deposit charge) and pay their bills manually after 14 months of cleared bills.

Payments can be made into an Electric Ireland account between bills, in order to reduce the balance by the time the bill is issued. If the customer pays by direct debit, they should only make these payments via electronic means (by card on our website or through their online banking) and not make any further payments to their account after they receive their bill.

We are here on Social Media until 6pm if you have any further queries.

Una

________

• Advertisement

How long does it take to be connected once my room mate closes their account and I set mine up? Can it be reconnected quickly? 

Hi Wanderer41,

Is there electricity supply at the property at the moment?

Una

________

There is electricity at the moment as my room mate hasn't yet closed her account. I will be setting up my own account, but I was wondering how long it will take for connection as I live there and don't want to be without electricity for long. 

Hi again Wanderer41,

Thank you for confirming.

Account closure does not cause immediate disconnection (disconnection would only occur if nobody registers an electricity account for a matter of weeks, and reminders would be issued to the property first).

You can register an account in your name once your room-mate provides you with the meter-reading taken on her last day to close her account. You do not even need to wait for her to close her account. Opening an account in your name for that MPRN (meter point reference number) will automatically close her account. The MPRN is a long number beginning with "10" and can be found on the top right-hand corner of an Electric Ireland bill's front page.

If you are interested in registering with Electric Ireland, we can set up your account here on Social Media today before 6pm, or next week, with the meter-reading and MPRN, however we cannot take bank details if you are paying by direct debit. Our Sales team can register you and set up direct debit for you though (and apply a discount for you choosing this method of payment) if you contact them on 1850 30 50 90 - they are available until 8pm tonight and until 5.30pm tomorrow (closed on Sunday).

If you are not setting up direct debit and you are paying the security deposit, we can set up your account for you here on Boards or any of our other Social Media channels (Facebook and Twitter).

We are here until 6pm Monday to Friday.

Regards,
    Una

________

Hi again Wanderer41,

Thank you for confirming.

Account closure does not cause immediate disconnection (disconnection would only occur if nobody registers an electricity account for a matter of weeks, and reminders would be issued to the property first).

You can register an account in your name once your room-mate provides you with the meter-reading taken on her last day to close her account. You do not even need to wait for her to close her account. Opening an account in your name for that MPRN (meter point reference number) will automatically close her account. The MPRN is a long number beginning with "10" and can be found on the top right-hand corner of an Electric Ireland bill's front page.

If you are interested in registering with Electric Ireland, we can set up your account here on Social Media today before 6pm, or next week, with the meter-reading and MPRN, however we cannot take bank details if you are paying by direct debit. Our Sales team can register you and set up direct debit for you though (and apply a discount for you choosing this method of payment) if you contact them on 1850 30 50 90 - they are available until 8pm tonight and until 5.30pm tomorrow (closed on Sunday).

If you are not setting up direct debit and you are paying the security deposit, we can set up your account for you here on Boards or any of our other Social Media channels (Facebook and Twitter).

We are here until 6pm Monday to Friday.

Regards,
    Una

________
    Thanks very much, you're very helpful! So if I were to set up my account today, there would be no loss in electricity?

• Advertisement

Hi again Wanderer41,

You're welcome - we're happy to help, thanks for your kind words.

Yes, disconnection would not occur simply because an account has just been closed. There is time given for someone to register a new account.

If a property remains unregistered for payment of the electricity for 10 days to two weeks (approximately) after an account is closed, then letters will be sent to the property, which are reminders to register an electricity account. Then, disconnection needs to be carried out by a technician at the property itself, if there is no account registration after a certain point.

So disconnection would definitely not be anything for you to worry about if you are registering your account immediately after your room-mate closes hers.

Regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement