Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on this Boardman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You could do a lot worse! It's a nice bike and gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well it should be a world apart from a 20 yr old Raleigh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Nice bike and relatively OK spec. Just don't let them assemble it for you.

For that cash you'd probably get a good second hand bike.

Bike to work scheme has created a lot of clothes horses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MugMugs wrote: »

But for that cash, he can get this good bike, new.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Yep, well aware of that. Was talking to a guy the other week who had several horror stories.
    I could go second hand but I'd prefer new and it doesn't seem overpriced.
    Of course there are some components that might be better specced but that's always the way.
    MugMugs wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yep, well aware of that. Was talking to a guy the other week who had several horror stories.
    Of course there are some components that might be better specced but that's always the way.

Too true. Well wear if you do buy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

And don't forget the AXA card.

Don't you be dissin' my vintage bike!
    fryup wrote: »
    well it should be a world apart from a 20 yr old Raleigh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

They're good bikes many happy users.

Good value for money, hold value relatively well and the only downside is the association with Halfords who are exclusive retailers but have no input into the design and manufacture.

Well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I have a 3yo version of this bike - perfectly happy with it. There's nothing particularly magic about it and I've never sat back and though "oooooh, I can't wait to ride you....", but when I'm sweating like a pig halfway up a climb or spinning away while chatting to mates, I've rarely been aware of the make of bike I'm on or the fact that I have a Tiagra or 105 rear derailleur fitted.

It's served me well on plenty of spins and sportives, it's lovely to cycle and I've never had a day I regretted buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Hi,
    i bought one of these from Halfords earlier this year - i use it for leisurely cycles around north county Dublin - and love it - just check everthing after u leave the shop - mine was very poorly put together to be honest - had to adjust and tighten most things within 2 days - that said i love it - bought on bike to work scheme too - handlebar tape is white on mine - not very practical on a bike to b honest - will need to change it shortly - would like lower gearing for some of the hills - but thats just me - i just need to push a bit harder - if u want to know any more just let me know
    Rob

Thanks for that.
    I'll be passing the Limerick Halfords on Tuesday and will drop in.
    Their sizing guide has an interesting take on the conversion between imperial and metric sizes so I've no idea what frame size will suit.
    Finally got talking to Halfords after four of five calls today and they confirmed that I should come in and try the bike for size which is what I'll do.
    They couldn't confirm when the 20% off will end but it should still be there on Tuesday. If it is, I'll probably pull the trigger but I'll make sure to get a box of bits from them and put it together myself.

roadster5 wrote: »
    Hi,
    i bought one of these from Halfords earlier this year - i use it for leisurely cycles around north county Dublin - and love it - just check everthing after u leave the shop - mine was very poorly put together to be honest - had to adjust and tighten most things within 2 days - that said i love it - bought on bike to work scheme too - handlebar tape is white on mine - not very practical on a bike to b honest - will need to change it shortly - would like lower gearing for some of the hills - but thats just me - i just need to push a bit harder - if u want to know any more just let me know
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Hi

Any thoughts on this Boardman Road Team Carbon?

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-team-carbon-bike

Seems a lot of bike for the money.

I have a 20+ year old Raleigh that I'd keep for hacking around. Still going strong but I fancy something lighter and faster. I'm not interested in racing but the odd charity/sportive ride would interest me. I've done a few on the Raleigh.
    I'm late 40s and reasonably fit.

I have the older spec frame. It's 6 yrs old and it's still as stiff as the day I bought it. It's been my race bike for the past 3 yrs. It's a bit like triggers broom noe but the frame is in excellent nick. You can't go wrong for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Can you get it on the bike to work scheme and save yourself another €520?

Can you get it on the bike to work scheme and save yourself another €520?

Yep. Part of the reason I'm going new.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

One other thing to remember - make sure the spacers for the brake levers are in the bag - my werent - the reach on the brake levers was too long for my fingers so had to bring it back to them for that.
    Any more questions feel free to ask.
    Heres mine.
    Rob

roadster5 wrote: »
    One other thing to remember - make sure the spacers for the brake levers are in the bag - my werent - the reach on the brake levers was too long for my fingers so had to bring it back to them for that.
    Any more questions feel free to ask.
    Heres mine.
    Rob

Didn't find any spacers in the bag - must have another look.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought it. Collected the box about two weeks ago but had no time to put it together 'til now.
    The build process was straightforward and I picked up my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.
    The pedals are surprisingly easy to get used to. I'm comfortable with them while cycling but I need a bit more practice getting into them. I won't be tackling a hill start for a while.
    The gears too, are quite different from what I'm used to and will take a few goes.
    I'm very impressed with the solidity and ride comfort and I think I've made a good purchase.
    I've only taken it out for a quick spin this evening but I'll be looking forward to giving it a longer ride over the coming days.

Advertisement