Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishery officers attacked and held at gunpoint

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

Fisheries officers have been issued revolvers in the past for personal protection.
    Does this still happen or maybe only to officers that have been personally threatened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

patspost wrote: »
    Fisheries officers have been issued revolvers in the past for personal protection.
    Does this still happen or maybe only to officers that have been personally threatened?

I severely doubt that fisheries officers have ever been armed with firearms in this country. You must be mistaken. They are not even permitted to carry pepper spray. Fighting fire with fire is not always the solution.

I agree fighting fire with fire is not always a solution. Also if you are issued with a fire arm there would be training needed. You would also have to be willing to use the weapon.

I know of 1 lad that was issued a firearm, I am sure more were.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

patspost wrote: »
    I agree fighting fire with fire is not always a solution. Also if you are issued with a fire arm there would be training needed. You would also have to be willing to use the weapon.

I know of 1 lad that was issued a firearm, I am sure more were.

You know a fisheries officer who was authorised to carry a gun on patrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

In Holland the fisheries officers carry guns, never a problem.

Its the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Maybe in the distant past, but pretty sure no fisheries officers are authorised to carry guns now. They don't even get pepper spray or batons (not that they want them tbh)

You know a fisheries officer who was authorised to carry a gun on patrol?

Well he was issued with a gun / revolver for personal protection. He had it up to a few years ago, assume he still has it, not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Re trout comments above, not sure if I'm missing something - they're delicious. I've only ever had farmed but both rainbow and sea trout are lovely. Sea trout quite like salmon but less gamey and smaller, so can be more delicate.

Interestingly, I've had wild salmon a few times but prefer good farmed stuff as that's what I've gotten used to. I know most people (who probably got used to wild first) would say the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Farmed salmon so delicious.:p

a148pro wrote: »
    Re trout comments above, not sure if I'm missing something - they're delicious. I've only ever had farmed but both rainbow and sea trout are lovely. Sea trout quite like salmon but less gamey and smaller, so can be more delicate.

Interestingly, I've had wild salmon a few times but prefer good farmed stuff as that's what I've gotten used to. I know most people (who probably got used to wild first) would say the opposite.

Farmed sea trout is rainbow trout farmed in sea cages. Perhaps if you knew what the fish were treated with and how they are farmed i.e. impact on the environment and wild fish, you might reconsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Straying a bit off topic. For many years there has been a problem with organised poachers on the Inny. I dont know whether its as bad now but , in the past, anyone who approached them were warned that they were IRA and were raising funds for the cause !!! One family in particular were notorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Zzippy wrote: »
    Farmed sea trout is rainbow trout farmed in sea cages. Perhaps if you knew what the fish were treated with and how they are farmed i.e. impact on the environment and wild fish, you might reconsider.

You could say the same for all farmed meat if you think about it.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    You could say the same for all farmed meat if you think about it.

Getting very off topic, but not really. Farmed cattle, sheep and pigs are reared in a closed system, where the farmer has to dispose of their waste in a responsible manner, which costs money, and the use of pesticides and antibiotics is strictly controlled. Sea-reared salmon and trout are reared in an open system, where fecal matter and waste food is just allowed to enter the environment uncontrolled, and parasites and disease easily transfer to wild fish. In addition, the industry refuses to disclose to the government the amount of chemicals used to treat fish, and has managed to infiltrate organic certification bodies to the extent that "organic" salmon can be routinely treated with pesticides, chemical baths and antibiotics - none of this disclosed to the consumer of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod- getting very off topic alright. If someone wants to continue the discussion around the farmed fish topic please do so in new thread.

Advertisement