Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 day cooling off period

Options
  • 30-07-2016 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I purchased a course online with a credit card on the 19th of May(paid in full). The course began in July.

I attended 2 lectures and after the first 7 days I said I wanted a refund as I didnt believe the course was properly organised and I wasn't interested in attending anymore.

They are refusing to offer a refund. What are my rights here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty sure this doesn't fall under consumer regulations at all as an educational service

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

L1011 wrote: »
    Pretty sure this doesn't fall under consumer regulations at all as an educational service

would a chargeback work in this case?

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/services-contracts

The right to change your mind
    The “cooling off” or right to cancel period is 14 days from the date the contract started. You do not have to give any reason as to why you are cancelling but bear in mind you may have to pay for the cost of returning any items to the seller. If you cancel the service, the trader by law has to refund you within 14 days. The refund also includes any cost of delivery that you may have had to pay.

Some service are not covered by this cooling-off period, for example, hotel bookings, car rental and travel tickets are specifically excluded. Services that have already begun, with the consumer’s agreement, before the end of the 14-working day period are also excluded.

Does this apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

would a chargeback work in this case?

No. The service was delivered. Your change of mind and opinion of its organisation wouldn't be grounds for a successful chargeback.

I purchased the course online but commenced it in person. Would that change anything?

The course is not up to the standard outlined on the website in my opinion. Is there any case? Surely they cant just refuse a refund. One other person complained and also the lecturer is teaching for the first time and very inexperienced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Changes nothing. The service is being provided. You would need to have invoked the cooling off period before now.
    If you can show that the course is not providing what was stated, you might have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The service is being provided.

Is the service as described though? Op you should consult consumerhelp on Tuesday about this. In the meantime have in writing the chain of events, why you feel the course isn't up to scratch and correspondence to date between yourself and the provider. Students looking for refunds probably isn't common, but probably could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is the service as described though? Op you should consult consumerhelp on Tuesday about this. In the meantime have in writing the chain of events, why you feel the course isn't up to scratch and correspondence to date between yourself and the provider. Students looking for refunds probably isn't common, but probably could happen.

Why quote only a portion of my post? I also said
    If you can show that the course is not providing what was stated, you might have a case.

thanks. I will call consumer help on Tuesday

Advertisement