Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking and Car Pooling

Options
  • 30-07-2016 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi - I am interested in getting involved in a hill walking/hiking club and have been checking the websites for various clubs which organise hikes around Wicklow.

Most clubs have a car pooling policy, and can fully understand the reason and benefits for doing this. However, I have one or two questions about the accepted customs, and hoping someone here can advise.

I am an experienced driver, however mostly used to driving on my own and am always more nervous with passengers, particularly on roads I'm not familiar with.

Obviously, if I get involved, would want to take my turn, but want to understand is a driver free to choose how many people and who they take in their car? Would you be expected to load up, or have people randomly assigned? I'd be ok with one or two, but not 3 or 4 strangers, particularly when driving into the mountains.

I hope this post doesn't come across as bad. I really want to be sociable, but not to get into a situation I would be uncomfortable with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're nervous with passengers or on unfamiliar roads, I'd suggest you spend time becoming a more experienced driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

That's not very helpful. I am an experienced driver.

I was hoping for some feedback on my question around how the car pools are organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I imagine you can. as you are new you might get away with not driving for a couple of days. this would give you time to assemble a group of suitable people. try and let them know before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's a great question, and it's great you're willing to car pool in the first place.

In our club we turn up and mill around the car pool, then generally friends go with friends and the newbies are offered a lift. It's no problem whatsoever to say that you are nervous about driving around unfamiliar roads and could you take a lift until you got a bit more confident, or could one of the more experienced people go with you.

You're not going to get someone randomly "assigned", but you might get asked "would you mind taking xyz". If you don't like the look of them having an excuse is best - "I was hoping to take a lift", or "I'm heading down to Waterford afterwards" ;), but after a few weeks in a club you'll get to know the people better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I wouldn't imagine it is a compulsory thing for every group. I wouldn't want to get in a car with a nervous driver on the back roads nor would I want to pressure them into doing it. Maybe in lieu of driving you could pay for petrol or make sandwiches or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement