Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do cats pine?

• 30-07-2016 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭

For all cat lovers..
    We have had our cat for 14 years. Every time we leave her in the cattery, to go on holidays, it just breaks my heart so badly, to leave her where she does not have the same freedom as at home. Do cats miss their humans as much as we miss them? Any thoughts? Love her so much, but we need our holiday too!:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I think that cats love routine, and they get a bit freaked out when there's a change. Have you ever changed the furniture round at home? My cats wouldn't talk to me for a few days after that. They also wouldn't talk to me if I went away for a few days and left them (with someone calling in to feed them obviously)

Some cats will get stressed out in catteries, there will be the smell and sound of other cats near them. Neelix used to hate going to the cattery, he wouldn't eat, and would get the runs through stress, so I used to get a friend to call in each day and feed them instead. He would still be annoyed with me, but happier at home, would that be an option for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Thanks muddy paws. The cattery tells me that she settles in well, but maybe they are trying to appease my guilt, and not make me feel too bad!
    She does eat her food there, and she never has the runs through the stress, so maybe she is okay? It is only for five days, but I still hate doing it. It must be the same for dog owners.
    We have no family where we live, and I don't really know anyone well enough to allow them into my house, as Carmen would need to be fed two-three times. She will only eat fresh food, and is very finicky. I suppose I have her spoiled rotten.
    Yes, she is cool with me for a day or so, but then all is forgiven and forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Didgeridont

Thanks muddy paws. The cattery tells me that she settles in well, but maybe they are trying to appease my guilt, and not make me feel too bad!
    She does eat her food there, and she never has the runs through the stress, so maybe she is okay? It is only for five days, but I still hate doing it. It must be the same for dog owners.
    We have no family where we live, and I don't really know anyone well enough to allow them into my house, as Carmen would need to be fed two-three times. She will only eat fresh food, and is very finicky. I suppose I have her spoiled rotten.
    Yes, she is cool with me for a day or so, but then all is forgiven and forgotten.

Any day of the week keep the cat at home and have someone drop by daily to feed and change litter
    Catterys are fine but they're not home for the cat.
    But there's nothing wrong with boarding your cat in one either, don't get me wrong
    Go away on hols and don't be worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, your cat is part of your family, and you love her, and take care of her all year around. You are being responsible by putting her into a cattery, where her needs are taken care of - she is fed, has water, is warm/safe, and sheltered. What more could you do, so dont beat yourself up. If your cat is eating and not stressed, I think you should go on your holiday, enjoy yourself, in the knowledge that your cat is safe and taken care of, and you can spoil her again to make up for your guilt when you get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Didgeridont

aonb wrote: »
    OP, your cat is part of your family, and you love her, and take care of her all year around. You are being responsible by putting her into a cattery, where her needs are taken care of - she is fed, has water, is warm/safe, and sheltered. What more could you do, so dont beat yourself up. If your cat is eating and not stressed, I think you should go on your holiday, enjoy yourself, in the knowledge that your cat is safe and taken care of, and you can spoil her again to make up for your guilt when you get home :)

Ya that cat has a good home by the sounds of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Brought her to the kennel, and she made straight for the pen (hate the thoughts of her in that, when she usually has the run of the entire house) where she stayed the last time. I brought her favourite cardboard box (she loves 'em) and she settled very nicely into that. The owners of the cattery always post a few pics on FB when we are away, so we can see her from our hols. No doubt her physical needs are well-taken care of, but can't help thinking she misses us, and we certainly miss her.
    Anyway, a nice tin of salmon is her first treat when we return, even if she will pretend to be a little cool with us!

Advertisement