Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasting duck breast

• 30-07-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Last time I did it the oven was ruined with splatters... any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Prick the skin all over with a fork before you put it in the oven. This will allow the fat to escape easier, & not build up to pop from under the skin.

You could also drain the excess fat from your roasting dish once or twice while cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Would you try frying it?

What I do is put the duck breast skin side down on a cold pan. Put on a medium heat. Leave for 5/6 mins until the skin is the colour you want. When its done drain the oil and flip the breast and put it in the oven at 180 for another 5 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I score the skin in a criss-cross pattern, and cook it as SB does, but leave it a bit longer in the oven.

I cover the pan loosely with tinfoil, and that catches the spatters, so I don't need to drain the pan. I keep the fat for roasting potatoes.

Yes I meant to say I score the skin as well and the 5mins in the oven would be for medium-rare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I score the skin, fry for 2.5 mins skin-side, 0.5mins meat side. Then oven for 5-10 mins at 180, pretty similar to the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Would you try frying it?

What I do is put the duck breast skin side down on a cold pan. Put on a medium heat. Leave for 5/6 mins until the skin is the colour you want. When its done drain the oil and flip the breast and put it in the oven at 180 for another 5 mins.

do you cover it when you put it in the oven?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    do you cover it when you put it in the oven?

Nah I never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Thanks everyone. I cooked on hob for 4 mins and then transferred to oven with a tin foil losely covering the top and it worked fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Too late for this time but someone a few years ago gave me this tip for cooking duck breast and I haven't cooked it any other way since. It is a bit more work but the result is super, super tender meat. I've posted it here before but here goes again:

Put your breast skin side down (skin slashed a few times with a sharp knife) in a cold, dry pan over a medium heat.
    After a few minutes, the fat will start to render out. Start to spoon the hot fat over the breast, keeping an eye on your heat so that the skin doesn't burn. For a medium rare breast, continue to do this for about 15 minutes.
    Let your breast rest for 5 or 10 minutes (although this cooking method is so gentle that resting is almost unnecessary). Slice and serve.

Advertisement