Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finderscope Broken

Options
  • 30-07-2016 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a telescope problem. I'm on holidays in West Cork for the next week where there is very little light pollution (at least in comparison to the city), and was all set to do some observing that won't be possible where I live. However, shortly after I arrived, I realised the finderscope was broken, the LED is not functioning. It must have taken a beating in the car journey down. So as I see it I have three options:

1. Order a new one on amazon.co.uk, assuming it gets here Friday that leaves only two nights of observing.
    2. Hope it's the battery and buy a new one. (I have no idea would they even have these in Clonakilty the nearest town)
    3. Place some sort of small marking, a small piece of masking tape or a dot drawn by a marker on the center of the finderscope lens.

It's looking like the 3rd option is the most workable, has anyone ever done this and if so what's the best way to it? Also any other suggestions for how I might make some sort of makeshift finderscope would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

What type of battery is it? Clon is a good commercial town, you would be amazed at the type of stuff you can get in a country hardware store.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 YYZ

It's one of those small disk shaped batteries. This is what it says on it 'LITHIUM BATTERY CR 2032 3V' Also how long do these batteries usually last? I've been told quite long but I got the scope in April 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

you'll deffo be able to get them in Clonakilty, they're the routine lithium coin batteries. The CR2025 should do if you can't get the 2032.

They should be long-lasting, maybe you accidentally left the LED switched on.

Thanks, I'll head to Clonakilty so, I might try Barryroe co-op first since that's nearer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Good luck finding any clear nights this week though, Tuesday maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Lidl have coin batteries in since Thursday

I don't know how it was in the city but last night there wasn't a cloud in the sky, but after an hour of trying to aim the telescope without the finderscope I just gave up. At least the Milky Way's visible to the naked eye down here that's always great to see.
    Thanks brightspark that means I'll be able to get them since there's a Lidl in Clonakilty. Now I just hope it is the battery and not some other issue or I might have to just give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I don't know if it's of any use to you now but most chemists would do CR2032 batteries as well. Would be way more expensive than Lidl but still an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

YYZ wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll head to Clonakilty so, I might try Barryroe co-op first since that's nearer.

You shouldn't have a problem picking some batteries up in Barryroe Co-op, its usually a very well stocked shop.

Hi everyone, I've gotten the new battery and it works fine now, I'm glad that was the problem if the finderscope was actually damaged that would have been a real headache. Thanks to everyone for your help and hopefully there'll be some clear skies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement