Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC DTV Dialler SIM Card Expired, Can I Swap It?

Options
  • 30-07-2016 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I got a HKC system installed in our house about 1.5 years ago (SW1070 I believe) and as part of this got a GSM (not DTV as mentioned in title) dialler with Meteor Sim that would send text messages etc.

Unfortunately I have let the sim expire (meteor say it's too late to reactivate it) and now the wall pad is giving an error about this.

I was going to get the guy that installed the alarm back out but seeing as it worked fine before this and it seems pretty clear what the issue is, is it possible for me to open this and swap in another SIM card.

White plastic box on wall seems tamperproof, presumably to stop burglars from being able to deactivate it if they break in.

Is there an easy way I could do this myself or should I just leave it to the professional?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can swap out the sim, but you will need to power cycle the device to initialize the new sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

Bumping this thread as I have to do similar now with a SIM switch, have got as far as opening the 1070 panel :). Do I turn off mains and/or plug out the power cable on the board then swap the sim and revert? What about the backup battery connection? Don't want to a) set off the alarm or b) zap myself :)

Then I guess it's just go to the panel and change the number for the sim and away it goes...? Have the engineers code by the way. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes, power the system down by removing the fuse and disconnect battery. Then change the SIM and power everything back up

Don`t use a Vodafone 4G SIM, it won`t work because its 4G. You can only use an EIR SIM but make sure to ask in the store for the lock to be disabled on the SIM

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes, power the system down by removing the fuse and disconnect battery. Then change the SIM and power everything back up

Don`t use a Vodafone 4G SIM, it won`t work because its 4G. You can only use an EIR SIM but make sure to ask in the store for the lock to be disabled on the SIM

Thanks Drifter. The battery wires seem to go behind the board and they peek through it at one point but I don't see a simple plug out part. Am I even looking in the right area?

Not sure about the SIM now, they activated it in store and worked in a phone for me, is there a way to tell it's disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

mckildare wrote: »
    Thanks Drifter. The battery wires seem to go behind the board and they peek through it at one point but I don't see a simple plug out part. Am I even looking in the right area?

Not sure about the SIM now, they activated it in store and worked in a phone for me, is there a way to tell it's disabled?

Take the clip off the battery and remove the fuse from the board

If you did`t ask for the SIM to be unlocked it almost certainly still is

• Advertisement

Great thanks, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

It happened me once....luckily the Vodafone sim was reactivated. It is a bit of a nuisance insofar as if you do not make the MIN Top-Up of €5 in the six month period you lose the connection. I now have €46 on the sim and a reminder set on my phone to Top-Up every five months just to be sure. In fairness I suppose it's a small price to pay.

Advertisement