Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable notice for landlord to enter property?

Options
  • 30-07-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

My wife and I gave our notice at end of June that we were leaving our rented property. Our landlord suggested that our deposit be used for last months rent which would expire 5th August. He said he would have viewings weekend of 22nd July, but we heard nothing until last Tuesday, requesting a viewing for Thursday evening. As we have a young child who goes to bed at 7, we agreed under the proviso that the viewing was between 6 and 7pm. We had the place ready and tidy for this viewing (no mean feat with a small child) but landlord never came and didn't contact us to tell us it was cancelled beforehand.

Fast forward to 11am this morning when landlord tries to arrange viewing for 3pm today. We are away for the weekend and had not been informed about this so we tell him that we do not agree and that viewings would be possible from Monday morning onwards. After back and forth, he then says that he has cancelled the viewings but that he needs to do a visual inspection tomorrow. We do not feel comfortable having him there while we are not there and have told him that we don't consider this to be reasonable notice, Saturday afternoon of a bank holiday weekend for Sunday. It emerges that he is away from Monday morning so will not be able to then do a visual inspection until after we have left (which we feel is his problem, not ours).

On the basis of the above facts, which of us is being unreasonable about this? if he does enter the property without our permission, is there anything we can do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,338 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Given that he has allowed you to use the deposit as the last month's rent, he has no financial hold over you. While he has been a bit messy over viewings, presumably allowing you to use the deposit as rent has made things easier for you to secure a new property. In reality, only you are able to determine, in these circumstances, whether you are willing to allow the inspection to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

I would say no if I wasn't going to be there. I think he's being unreasonable, and it's bad form not letting you know of the earlier cancellation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think its bad form that he didn't tell you the previous viewing had been cancelled- however, I'd view the fact that he is allowing you use the deposit as your last month's rent in the best possible light- and do my best to be as accommodating as possible in the circumstances.

That said- I really wouldn't be happy with any less than 48 hours notice- and I'd keep to viewings before 6pm in the evening- you have a young child, doubtless you have cooking and all your evening things to do- plus- as you've rightly said- its not easy to keep a house tidy with a young child (I've two- I know what its like).

Its a bit of give and take- and he has allowed you use the deposit in a manner he wasn't under any obligation to- so, I'd try to be as accommodating as possible- within strict limits- it is still your home after all.........

Advertisement